Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Fans are tipping the balance

There is much debate about Nigel Worthington's merits as a manager following our life-saving 1-0 win at Preston.

I've discusssed the things I've seen as benefits since his arival but if I had to point to one thing that has swung the balance for City it would, quite seriously, have to be the fans.

The intensity of their support from the start of the second half against Birmingham and throughout yesterday's match was a revelation.

And the degreee to which it lifted the spirits of our team was visible.

I was embarrassed by the nievity of our first 25 minutes against Birmingham but suddenly, second half, there were no frail hearts and it coincided not just with Worthington's presumably focusing team talk but with the defiant attitude of the fans in deciding they were going to sing their throats to hoarseness whatever.

Phsychologically the effect on the players was inspiring and the more so because they probably expected the judging silence or cryptic ridicule.

Instead they got unconditional support and their confidence soared and stayed uplifted throughout the trip to Preston.

It is vital we maintain the momentum. Anyone doubting that fans are worth points should have been there against Birmingham when we won the second half and at Preston when we won the match. To me it was Willpower 1 Opposition 0 on both occasions.

We have to apply the same uncompromising pressure at Barnsley.

Or Wilspower 1 Opposition 0. :P

Seriously, the fans have played a massive part and will be crucial again at Barnsley to make sure the team don't lose focus. We still have a job to do.

Yeah ill go with that. :P

I think we played a massive part in us winning that game yesterday,if we do our bit the players will do theres.

Thrac is right. The cliche "fans being the 12th man" have been over-used sometimes. But in this case it is very much true. We have been the 12th man. And we need to continue this at Oakwell next week.

Worthington has got the players to repsect again and as long as there is clear effort on their part the fans will there right behind them. It's amazing that 45 minutes of real endevour whilst losing can transform opinions and vibes from the stands.

It's easy for us to sit and type how the players should do this and that in the motivation stakes, but someone needs to eek that out and Nige has done it :worship:

Worthington has got the players to repsect again and as long as there is clear effort on their part the fans will there right behind them. It's amazing that 45 minutes of real endevour whilst losing can transform opinions and vibes from the stands.

It's easy for us to sit and type how the players should do this and that in the motivation stakes, but someone needs to eek that out and Nige has done it :worship:

I agree. The teams seemed motivated and looked like they had followed defensive instuctions to mark nugent very well.

i also agree with thrac and i would like to think we would carry it into next season but i cant see it TBH

I dont see why not, it may be success depending though. I think back to the Luton away game on the opening day when we were in great voice at the start. Then Luton dominated, scored, scored again and suddenly our singng voices went, returning for big games Derby, Brum, villa, Fulham, wba.

spot on !! After watching that 45 mins against Brum i felt even though we lost that we would get out of trouble. its a combination...respect ,effort and support.

spot on !! After watching that 45 mins against Brum i felt even though we lost that we would get out of trouble. its a combination...respect ,effort and support.

It was such an amazing effort from the fans yesterday, and as someone has said, anyone doubting the fans can make the 12th man is very ill-informed.

We were tbe 12th man- and lets continue it at Barno, the rest of the home games and beyond. :thumbup:

The atmopshere created yesterday will be extremely hard to beat. Hopefully we will be in similair voice next week, although I'm not sure whether some people might step off a bit on the vocals just because we're virtually safe now. I really hope not. Yesterday's atmosphere helped to make the day an unforgettable one so let's hope for more of the same. :thumbup:

The atmopshere created yesterday will be extremely hard to beat. Hopefully we will be in similair voice next week, although I'm not sure whether some people might step off a bit on the vocals just because we're virtually safe now. :thumbup:

i hope we don't step off the vocals just because we are nearly safe we should carry it on in to the next season and beyond.

i hope we don't step off the vocals just because we are nearly safe we should carry it on in to the next season and beyond.

Well to be fair our away fans are normally pretty good vocally. Days like yesterday are just special and no away fans produce that sort of noise on a regular basis. :thumbup:

I dont see why not, it may be success depending though. I think back to the Luton away game on the opening day when we were in great voice at the start. Then Luton dominated, scored, scored again and suddenly our singng voices went, returning for big games Derby, Brum, villa, Fulham, wba.

first game is generally a bit better atmosphere and i really cant see it lasting after this season as much as id love it

It says it all when that Preston fan said that we were probably the best set of away supporters this season at Deepdale.

Well I doubt very much that there have been much better. It was hard to beat yesterday :thumbup:

It says it all when that Preston fan said that we were probably the best set of away supporters this season at Deepdale.

Would I be saying too much by pointing out Bertfox won us the match with the thread?

Would I be saying too much by pointing out Bertfox won us the match with the thread?

Not in the slightest. Either that or it's just one big fat co-incidence. :D

It's all been about discipline apparently, it was seriously lacking under Kelly. Wortho even had the youth players litter picking the other day. This, along with the fans have given the players renewed focus on the job.

looking around the crowd , there was a lot of fat b*st*rds ; so i think they could be tipping the balance :D

Ultra will get awfully huffy...but at least you didn't call him a fat Nazi bastard

22.jpg

Ultra will get awfully huffy...but at least you didn't call him a fat Nazi bastard

Booby Roberts one of my favourite players from the Gillies era along with Davie Gibson :worship:

NB ex Colchester Manager mentioned in your sig.

Archived