Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weggy1976

Where did our last good managers come from...?

Why not appoint someone like Simon Grayson, who has done exeptiopnally well with Blackpool this season and is an ex-city legend, so he would give 100%. Although still young (for a manager), he is exciting and would prove a popular character. Why is Ince being touted as next manager when Grayson has done a far better job this season in the same division?

Hadn't MON :worship: resigned from Norwich before he came to us -We were just about to appoint Mike Walker until he became available- so technically he was on the dole 4 a few days at least??

Why do people suggest ex-players on the basis that they will give 100% or because they 'love' the club. I would imagine any manager would give a 100% and this loving the club is rubbish in most cases?

Besides on their own they are hardly a strong pointer to being a good manager on that basis we have 15 to 20K potential managers at Filbo every other week.

Hadn't MON :worship: resigned from Norwich before he came to us -We were just about to appoint Mike Walker until he became available- so technically he was on the dole 4 a few days at least??

you mean MON resigned knowing he had a job offer...........?

Why not appoint someone like Simon Grayson, who has done exeptiopnally well with Blackpool this season and is an ex-city legend, so he would give 100%. Although still young (for a manager), he is exciting and would prove a popular character. Why is Ince being touted as next manager when Grayson has done a far better job this season in the same division?

There is no argument for either Grayson or Ince......as you have said 6 months experience.

The only argument for Ince is that every ex man Utd player seems to be a good boss, with Bryan Robson on the line...... there is Mark Hughes, Gordon Strachan, Steve Bruce, Steve Coppell, Roy Keane.......but then if we got Ince you could bet your life he would be the exception.

Managers are similar to boxers, one or two defeats doesnt make a boxer bad if he has plenty of success in between. Very few managers can say they havent had a dodgy job or two on their CVs, even the greats.

I think that people have got themselves into thinking that a manager can only be any good if he is young which I totally disagree with. It seems that despite many of them winning promotion or having good seasons, they get ignored for the new "younger" manager who is plucked straight out of the first team. Danny Wilson at Hartlepool is a fair example of this. He did good jobs at both Sheff Weds and Barnsley but no so good in the last few years and has had to take a lower league club like Hartlepool and seems to be reviving them. I know I harp on about Glenn Hoddle who most practically dismiss but this bloke was good enough to manage the country a few years ago but despite average efforts with Wolves and Spurs, he all of a sudden has become a useless manager in some peoples eyes!

Forget age, we need a quality manager who has been through the crap as well as the good times to get us promoted, not a prat like Ince that everyone is going on about who hasnt even saved Macclesfield from relegation this season despite a good start. http://home.skysports.com/leaguetable.aspx?cpid=12

Managers are similar to boxers, one or two defeats doesnt make a boxer bad if he has plenty of success in between. Very few managers can say they havent had a dodgy job or two on their CVs, even the greats.

I think that people have got themselves into thinking that a manager can only be any good if he is young which I totally disagree with. It seems that despite many of them winning promotion or having good seasons, they get ignored for the new "younger" manager who is plucked straight out of the first team. Danny Wilson at Hartlepool is a fair example of this. He did good jobs at both Sheff Weds and Barnsley but no so good in the last few years and has had to take a lower league club like Hartlepool and seems to be reviving them. I know I harp on about Glenn Hoddle who most practically dismiss but this bloke was good enough to manage the country a few years ago but despite average efforts with Wolves and Spurs, he all of a sudden has become a useless manager in some peoples eyes!

Forget age, we need a quality manager who has been through the crap as well as the good times to get us promoted, not a prat like Ince that everyone is going on about who hasnt even saved Macclesfield from relegation this season despite a good start. http://home.skysports.com/leaguetable.aspx?cpid=12

History might disagree with you on that, Hoddle was not a good England coach, he has serious man management issues and is also a bit strange. Remember that Elaine Drewery bint he had as his psychic help? Mad as a dog, I tell thee.

History might disagree with you on that, Hoddle was a terrible England coach, and also a bit strange. Remember that Drury bint he had as his psychic help?

Mate, things always get blown out of proportion, especially by the tabloid press who cant sleep at night unless they see our national team in trouble. Hoddle did decent jobs at Swindon and Chelsea and has worked under Wenger and played both here and abroad. You would think that he would make a very good manager with his experiences and aged 49 he isnt over the hill. BTW I use him as an example but he may not be the best example out there, maybe George Graham is a better example of a manager who cant get a job despite some good things on his CV.

The reason I raise the point is because I get sick and tired of hearing about young managers being great just because being young should mean unique ideas or training methods. Im also sick and tired of hearing how quality ex-players should automatically make great managers. Its like saying a top salesperson will automatically be a great manager when the job is chalk and cheese. People would prefer a manager with little experience to come into this club before looking at the possibility of attracting someone who has been there, done that and worn the T-Shirt. Anyway time will tell who we bring in but I hope its not an unknown like Ince or even the new rumour today, Steve Clarke.

I agree with the sentiments mate and I'm glad you made the point because I've been thinking similar things.

What I don't agree with though, is your point about Hoddle.

I agree with the sentiments mate and I'm glad you made the point because I've been thinking similar things.

What I don't agree with though, is your point about Hoddle.

Hoddle is far from amazing and I dont want it to sound like Im his nephew or something lol but the point is far too many decent managers are discarded from management at the expense for the new breed of young manager when its painfully obvious that the most succesful managers that we have had in this country are all over 50 and have been at there clubs for a while. Examples are Alex Ferguson (20+ years), Arsene Wenger (11+), Sam Allardyce (8+). Other managers doing well are people like Harry Redknapp, David Moyes and Steve Coppell. The ones that dont seem to get it and struggle are the likes of Stuart Pearce, Gareth Southgate, Ady Boothroyd (maybe harsh but look at what Coppell and Warnock have done with similar resources after promotion) and Paul Jewell. Already sacked from the Premier this season has been Alan Pardew (although IMO unfairly as he was one that was doing OK) and Ian Dowie. The only other success story from an inexperienced manager may be Mark Hughes at Blackburn and they are 10th.

Young managers dont guarantee success despite peoples constant call for them. Just because someone like Roy Keane manages to do a good job everyone jumps onto the bandwaggon and says that if keane can do it then so can Ince lol. Being an ex-International footballer fresh into management doesnt guarantee success, just ask Terry Butcher. Mark wright, Nigel Clough, Stuart Pearce, Dennis Wise (lol), Tony Adams etc

Archived