Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Players aged 30+ for City?

We seem to speculate every day on here about potential signings and players ages always seem to come up. Do we go for the younger hungrier player or are they out of our financial reach (ie Sharp/Eastwood) or do we go for what Milan Mandaric seems almost famous for, buying 30+ players and pay big wages to lure them to this club?

I think we have quite a healthy amount of young players at the club and once some of the old players that we have depart (AJ, Tiatto, Douglas) I think we will be in need of some experience but the experienced players must have a hunger for the game and success. Ideally we can attract players who have been on the bench for most of this season and havent had another tough seeing behind them! Obviously I would love for us to spend a few pounds on a couple of younger lads as well but we`ll need quality experienced players next season to assist the youngsters we have and in addition to that we MUST follow the route of the likes of Sunderland and Birmingham and bring in some quality loanees in from the Premiership to help us grow.

I`ve listed quite a few oldies who we have either been linked with or that may be available potentially for one reason or another. Ive also added if I think they would be good for us and givena brief explanation why. Which ones would you want and why???!!

Neil Lennon - A fantastic player for us but I think despite him playing OK in the SPL this season that the Championship will be too much for him at his age.

Andy Cole - Brum seem to have got first dibs but he is the type of hungry older player we should try to land. Hume and Fryatt would learn so much!

John Hartson - If only he looked after himself I would actually like him here because he can bully defenders. But, he doesnt seem to care so nor do I!

Ole Solskjaer - I cant see him leaving Man Utd as he loves it there despite being a bench player but I`d love him to come. 34yo yes but hardly plays!

Magnus Hedman - Chelski apparently will release him in the summer. An OK keep but not for us.

Jerzy Dudek - Another on his way out. Maybe worth a season to help Logan along? I think we do need another keeper so maybe he is a good option?

Robbie Fowler - Rumoured to be going to the US but also linked to us if Ince comes. I worry about his condition and he is injury prone. Not for me.

Richard Wright - Rumoued to want out of Everton as he doesnt play. 30 this year but was once a great keeper. I`d take him ahead of Dudek!

Quinton Fortune - Again rumoured to be leaving Bolton. 30 this year but injury prone. If fit would be great as our left-back IMO

Henrik Pedersen - Linked with a move back to Denmark - Im not a fan of his despite his ability to play at theback or up front.

Ulises de la Cruz - No thanks! Decent RB/RM but has no end product.

Dejan Stefanovic - Reminds me of Stevie Walsh. Big, left footed and little pace lol! I`d have him here like a shot to play with Kisnorbo. McAuley on bench!

Svetoslav Todorov - Not even 29 yet but I`ll sneak him in lol. Experienced and would be a great signing.

Danny Murphy - IMO the perfect player for us. 30, hasnt played that much recently but class. I would have him here like a shot.

Michael Gray - On loan at Dirty Leeds now but I think he is past it. Not for us.

Stephan Henchoz - Twp OOC moves in last 2 years and looks set to leave again. A good player but he is too injury prone.

Jason Roberts - 30 in Jan but now looks out of rach. Wasnt featuring due to Nonda, McCarthy and Derbyshire with Gallacher on bench but all of a sudden seems to be starting for Blackburn. I`d love a bustling, speedy forward here but I think he may not leave after all.

Patrik Berger - Has featured in recent weeks for Villa but I think they`ll replace him. I`d take him here like a shot too as despite being 33, he has energy!

Lee Hendrie - 30 in May and looks set to leave Villa. I`d take him here although Stoke seem to be favourites to sign him. Quality player.

Chris Sutton - Good target man but over the hill and paceless.

Pavel Srnicek - Hell NO!!

Dietmar Hamann - It wasnt long ago when he came off the bench to turn the Champs League final around for the Scousers but his legs seem to have gone.

Trevor Sinclair - 33 now but still looks to have good energy. under-played in recent times and may be worth a punt. Our solution at RM????

Paul Dickov - 35 this year. He was great for us but his game is about pace and bugging defenders and I think thats going. Also dont want ex-players back unless real class.

Gaizka Mendieta - Out of our reach I think wages wise and too injury prone. Once a £30m player though!

Jason Euell - 30yo and under-played. I would take him if I knew what his position was lol! Is he a striker or midfielder??? Can never work him out!

Ian Pearce - Decent defender but we already have options at least as good as him.

Michael Brown - As ball winners go, he is very good. Can also shoot well and still quite young at 30. Maybe one for the squad next season?

Heidar Helguson - 30 in August and an under-rated target man. If availablle as seems to be, he would be worth a punt but he wont be cheap which is an issue for me when talking about players aged 30+. I dont want us to actually spend transfer fees on them but he would be one you would have to.

David Unsworth - Never liked him. Good on the ball but painfully slow. Over-rated by many but I`d rather have Paddy Mac!

David Sommeil - No thanks

Matt Holland - Pluses about Holland is he has been under-played so may have more miles in his legs. I`d take him if none of the other options stick.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Getting lazier and lazier and I doubt he would step down to this level. I wouldnt want him here anyway.

James Walker - 3rd choice West Ham keeper but maybe getting on a bit now for us.

Christian Dailly - Decent utility player and I think still an International for Scotland. Maybe an OK aquisition for the squad but not first team.

Lee Bowyer - A wasted talent. Too much baggage maybe but I`d like him to come to us because at 30 he still can do a great job at this level.

Teddy Sheringham - I cant believe some would want him here. Too old, legs have gone and the idiot dropped that fit racist Scouse bird. Not for me!

We seem to speculate every day on here about potential signings and players ages always seem to come up. Do we go for the younger hungrier player or are they out of our financial reach (ie Sharp/Eastwood) or do we go for what Milan Mandaric seems almost famous for, buying 30+ players and pay big wages to lure them to this club?

I think we have quite a healthy amount of young players at the club and once some of the old players that we have depart (AJ, Tiatto, Douglas) I think we will be in need of some experience but the experienced players must have a hunger for the game and success. Ideally we can attract players who have been on the bench for most of this season and havent had another tough seeing behind them! Obviously I would love for us to spend a few pounds on a couple of younger lads as well but we`ll need quality experienced players next season to assist the youngsters we have and in addition to that we MUST follow the route of the likes of Sunderland and Birmingham and bring in some quality loanees in from the Premiership to help us grow.

I`ve listed quite a few oldies who we have either been linked with or that may be available potentially for one reason or another. Ive also added if I think they would be good for us and givena brief explanation why. Which ones would you want and why???!!

Neil Lennon - A fantastic player for us but I think despite him playing OK in the SPL this season that the Championship will be too much for him at his age.

Andy Cole - Brum seem to have got first dibs but he is the type of hungry older player we should try to land. Hume and Fryatt would learn so much!

John Hartson - If only he looked after himself I would actually like him here because he can bully defenders. But, he doesnt seem to care so nor do I!

Ole Solskjaer - I cant see him leaving Man Utd as he loves it there despite being a bench player but I`d love him to come. 34yo yes but hardly plays!

Magnus Hedman - Chelski apparently will release him in the summer. An OK keep but not for us.

Jerzy Dudek - Another on his way out. Maybe worth a season to help Logan along? I think we do need another keeper so maybe he is a good option?

Robbie Fowler - Rumoured to be going to the US but also linked to us if Ince comes. I worry about his condition and he is injury prone. Not for me.

Richard Wright - Rumoued to want out of Everton as he doesnt play. 30 this year but was once a great keeper. I`d take him ahead of Dudek!

Quinton Fortune - Again rumoured to be leaving Bolton. 30 this year but injury prone. If fit would be great as our left-back IMO

Henrik Pedersen - Linked with a move back to Denmark - Im not a fan of his despite his ability to play at theback or up front.

Ulises de la Cruz - No thanks! Decent RB/RM but has no end product.

Dejan Stefanovic - Reminds me of Stevie Walsh. Big, left footed and little pace lol! I`d have him here like a shot to play with Kisnorbo. McAuley on bench!

Svetoslav Todorov - Not even 29 yet but I`ll sneak him in lol. Experienced and would be a great signing.

Danny Murphy - IMO the perfect player for us. 30, hasnt played that much recently but class. I would have him here like a shot.

Michael Gray - On loan at Dirty Leeds now but I think he is past it. Not for us.

Stephan Henchoz - Twp OOC moves in last 2 years and looks set to leave again. A good player but he is too injury prone.

Jason Roberts - 30 in Jan but now looks out of rach. Wasnt featuring due to Nonda, McCarthy and Derbyshire with Gallacher on bench but all of a sudden seems to be starting for Blackburn. I`d love a bustling, speedy forward here but I think he may not leave after all.

Patrik Berger - Has featured in recent weeks for Villa but I think they`ll replace him. I`d take him here like a shot too as despite being 33, he has energy!

Lee Hendrie - 30 in May and looks set to leave Villa. I`d take him here although Stoke seem to be favourites to sign him. Quality player.

Chris Sutton - Good target man but over the hill and paceless.

Pavel Srnicek - Hell NO!!

Dietmar Hamann - It wasnt long ago when he came off the bench to turn the Champs League final around for the Scousers but his legs seem to have gone.

Trevor Sinclair - 33 now but still looks to have good energy. under-played in recent times and may be worth a punt. Our solution at RM????

Paul Dickov - 35 this year. He was great for us but his game is about pace and bugging defenders and I think thats going. Also dont want ex-players back unless real class.

Gaizka Mendieta - Out of our reach I think wages wise and too injury prone. Once a £30m player though!

Jason Euell - 30yo and under-played. I would take him if I knew what his position was lol! Is he a striker or midfielder??? Can never work him out!

Ian Pearce - Decent defender but we already have options at least as good as him.

Michael Brown - As ball winners go, he is very good. Can also shoot well and still quite young at 30. Maybe one for the squad next season?

Heidar Helguson - 30 in August and an under-rated target man. If availablle as seems to be, he would be worth a punt but he wont be cheap which is an issue for me when talking about players aged 30+. I dont want us to actually spend transfer fees on them but he would be one you would have to.

David Unsworth - Never liked him. Good on the ball but painfully slow. Over-rated by many but I`d rather have Paddy Mac!

David Sommeil - No thanks

Matt Holland - Pluses about Holland is he has been under-played so may have more miles in his legs. I`d take him if none of the other options stick.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Getting lazier and lazier and I doubt he would step down to this level. I wouldnt want him here anyway.

James Walker - 3rd choice West Ham keeper but maybe getting on a bit now for us.

Christian Dailly - Decent utility player and I think still an International for Scotland. Maybe an OK aquisition for the squad but not first team.

Lee Bowyer - A wasted talent. Too much baggage maybe but I`d like him to come to us because at 30 he still can do a great job at this level.

Teddy Sheringham - I cant believe some would want him here. Too old, legs have gone and the idiot dropped that fit racist Scouse bird. Not for me!

You could get one hell of a team out of that list.

Jerzy Dudek thats all, the other are to old ...keepers can be 40~! and still do the job ...(seaman etc etc)

Really??! You wouldnt want a Lee Hendrie, Danny Murphy or Todorov here??!

No

I want Andy King, Billy Mckay, Levi, Weso, scott lycett.

Don't give me your Danny Murphy's and Todorov's what have they proved, they haven't scored goals for lester academy. what kind of cv have they got?

You are kidding right? If the names you mentioned have half the career that Danny murphy has had (played for Liverpool, Spurs and has been capped 9 times by England), they would have done well. Hopefully the academy kids come through and do really well but to sit back and rely on a bunch of 16yo`s to get us out of this division is an impossible task and way too early for them.

That is an impressive list...good research!

Clearly wouldn't want them all but I think 3/4 out of that list including a striker, goalkeeper, winger and creative midfielder could do wonders for us next season. Get to work Milan.

Robbie Fowler - a natural finisher, no doubt that he can do it at this level even if not every game. Look at Yorke at Sunderland or Cole at Brum to see what a quality striker can add to a side.

Danny Murphy - has the kind of creativity we really lack in the side at the moment.

Patrick Berger - If MON decides to let him go can still do an excellent job at this level. Creativity is the buzzword, we really lack it.

Neil Lennon - Without a doubt! Lot's of debate about him but I'm sure he can an excellent job at least for one season and reinstill some passion in the side.

Richard Wright - never really lived up to the hype and potential but definatly good enough for this division as our first choice.

Svetoslav Todorov - Quality and we know he can score at this level.

Lee Hendrie - Energy and I think from what i've seen he is very much our type of player, got a bit of an attitude which might be a good thing!

Dietmar Hamann - Might even pip Lennon for me! He is quality and could so much to any squad in this league and many in the premiership.

Trevor Sinclair - Again, another creative winger who can take people on and cross the ball. If we bring a big strong centre forward he would be worthwhile.

Lee Bowyer - very undecided because every manager seems to think they can turn him and bring out the best, if whoever takes over for us next season can then great but otherwise a HUGE gamble.

Andy Cole, Ole Solskjaer, Jerzy Dudek, Stefanovick, Mendieta, Helguson - All quality but for reasons of wages, transfer fees and other club loyalties can't see any chance of them here.

Dudek, Solksjaer, Fowler, Hendrie, Murphy, Todorov, Berger, Bowyer are my kind of players but it's a question of how the new manager - or Worthington - intends to shape his side.

And right now, with today's personnel, I would shape it around 4-3-3 because, to me, it makes sense for various reasons.

Even in the long list presented there's a shortage of fast, direct wingers. Not too much either in the way of big, bustling but fit 15/18 goals a season strikers.

And where are the flying full-backs?. So many of those players, capable as some are, simply don't fit into what I would envisage but if I had to pick four it might well be Dudek. Solksjaer or Fowler, Todorov and Hendrie.

Dudek, Solksjaer, Fowler, Hendrie, Murphy, Todorov, Berger, Bowyer are my kind of players but it's a question of how the new manager - or Worthington - intends to shape his side.

And right now, with today's personnel, I would shape it around 4-3-3 because, to me, it makes sense for various reasons.

Even in the long list presented there's a shortage of fast, direct wingers. Not too much either in the way of big, bustling but fit 15/18 goals a season strikers.

And where are the flying full-backs?. So many of those players, capable as some are, simply don't fit into what I would envisage but if I had to pick four it might well be Dudek. Solksjaer or Fowler, Todorov and Hendrie.

You do realise that Solksjaer, Fowler and Todorov all play in the same position as Louis Dodds?

If we have the kind of money that is being reported to spend this summer (£2-4m), we should be able to bring in a few of the list and then spend wisely on younger players in problem positions like Right-back. You have to remember that many on that list if not most of them will be available for either nominal fees or free transfers. Our transfer kitty would not be dented much by bringing in the likes of Todorov, Berger and Solskaer.

BTW what has 433 got to do with it fella?? Why do you keep going on about 433 when it all depends on the ability of the personnel you have for one and secondly, no-one in the last 20 years that I can think of has used this formation to success at this level. Not even the great sides from The Premiership play 433 and most play 442 or 451! Why the fascination on 433?? Is that what the academy play or something???

If we have the kind of money that is being reported to spend this summer (£2-4m), we should be able to bring in a few of the list and then spend wisely on younger players in problem positions like Right-back. You have to remember that many on that list if not most of them will be available for either nominal fees or free transfers. Our transfer kitty would not be dented much by bringing in the likes of Todorov, Berger and Solskaer.

BTW what has 433 got to do with it fella?? Why do you keep going on about 433 when it all depends on the ability of the personnel you have for one and secondly, no-one in the last 20 years that I can think of has used this formation to success at this level. Not even the great sides from The Premiership play 433 and most play 442 or 451! Why the fascination on 433?? Is that what the academy play or something???

If you read what I've said I mentioned "with today's personnel". If we can find genuine wingers etc to play 4-4-2 then fine but this 4-4-2 approach with four standard midfield players makes me sick.

I don't care what other coaches do. I've always been perfectly happy to set my own trends, thanks. And I've nothing against 4-4-2 with the right people but where are they?

Gradel is our club's only near-first-team standard winger and they've been shit scared to use him cos he's no defender.

But defensive players wide on a 4-4-2 mean not enough goals as I said last summer.

Why would "great" sides like United play 4-3-3 when they've got brilliant wingers like Giggs and Ronaldo? And determinedly attacking full-backs?.

I wouldn't call either Chelsea or Liverpool brilliant. If you took Drogba out of Chelsea they'd have won sod-all. Generally they look far less than the side they should be with all that money and having bought all those top players. Functional, yes, but not brilliant.

No the Academy don't play 4-3-3, they play 4-4-2 but have genuine wingers in Gradel and Beswick so the players fit the system.

Their full-backs, Magunda and Mattock push right up too and, with King they effectively have three strikers as well.

Our first team doesn't have those ingredients at all and I cannot believe that people try to make 4-4-2 out of non-4-4-2 players and continually choose to do without an attacking midfielder.

You cannot have defensive full-backs, defensive central midfield players and non-penetrating wingers in an effective 4-4-2 so all your Johnannsson's, Jarretts, Tiatto's, Hughes's and even your Lows/Sylla's when they were here were simply not on and it was bloody nieve to think they were.

I might be delusional - I had a few pints at lunch - but could someone please clarify.. Did Thracian say that Chelsea are not great without Drogba?

Only I seem to remember that when he spent much of last year mis-firing, Chelsea still ran away with most matches.

They'd obviously have done much better with Louis Dodds, Odhiambo or any other overrated Leicester youngster upfront.

I might be delusional - I had a few pints at lunch - but could someone please clarify.. Did Thracian say that Chelsea are not great without Drogba?

Only I seem to remember that when he spent much of last year mis-firing, Chelsea still ran away with most matches.

They'd obviously have done much better with Louis Dodds, Odhiambo or any other overrated Leicester youngster upfront.

And the year before. :thumbup:

Dudek

de la Cruz

Pearce

Stefanovic

Fortune

Bowyer

Hendrie

Murphy

Berger

Solskjaer

Fowler

Subs

Wright

Brown

Lennon

Helguson

Cole

Squad

Walker

Henchoz

Dailly

Hammann

Mendieta

Todorov

Roberts

I like it. Young, hungry, up and coming...what more could we want.

Archived