Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Players aged 30+ for City?

I like it. Young, hungry, up and coming...what more could we want.

I'd back that squad to get out of the championship next season though!!!! :D

And they would certainly be more entertaining than the current bunch of retards!

At times we have been as easy on the eye as Pat Butcher in a bikini!

Lampard scoring 20 odd goals from midfield every season, having the best goal keeper in the world and the leagues most miserly defence have also had little impact on there dominance of domestic football over the past three years!

Without a doubt. And no-one is belittling the individual contributions of all their players...and they ought to be good at what they cost. But great? Not for me they're not. even when they're on tv I don't really care if I watch em or not whereas this United team, various others, the old Liverpool sides, the great Ajax team, Nicholson's Spurs, Revie's Leeds yes, I loved watching those.

To me there's a difference between a great team and a functional team. You stick with your own definitions. Lots of teams win titles and cups but are not necessarily "great".

I like teams that show passion, score goals and win big matches.

If you prefer teams full of young, mostly ineffective, over rated players, then that's up to you.

I don't care much for your definitions.

Don't want to be a harbinger of doom and gloom but I think one or two people on here might be getting ideas above our station.

Mandaric or no Mandaric we have absolutely zero chance of signing the likes of Solksjaer, Dudek, Medndietta, Fowler, Trevor Sinclair and very, very little hope of going after a Murphy, Berger, Richard Wright, Stefanovic, etc. These are still Premiership quality players why on Earth are they suddenly going to decide that a team on the verge of relegation to league one this season is the place to relaunch their careers? I'd be absolutey delighted to see a Todorov or a Matt Holland turn up but I'm certainly not expecting anythig greater than that. We will do much better picking up hungry up and coming players wanting to prove themselves as they will want to play for the club rather than earn a last pay day.

If you read what I've said I mentioned "with today's personnel". If we can find genuine wingers etc to play 4-4-2 then fine but this 4-4-2 approach with four standard midfield players makes me sick.

I don't care what other coaches do. I've always been perfectly happy to set my own trends, thanks. And I've nothing against 4-4-2 with the right people but where are they?

Gradel is our club's only near-first-team standard winger and they've been shit scared to use him cos he's no defender.

But defensive players wide on a 4-4-2 mean not enough goals as I said last summer.

Why would "great" sides like United play 4-3-3 when they've got brilliant wingers like Giggs and Ronaldo? And determinedly attacking full-backs?.

I wouldn't call either Chelsea or Liverpool brilliant. If you took Drogba out of Chelsea they'd have won sod-all. Generally they look far less than the side they should be with all that money and having bought all those top players. Functional, yes, but not brilliant.

No the Academy don't play 4-3-3, they play 4-4-2 but have genuine wingers in Gradel and Beswick so the players fit the system.

Their full-backs, Magunda and Mattock push right up too and, with King they effectively have three strikers as well.

Our first team doesn't have those ingredients at all and I cannot believe that people try to make 4-4-2 out of non-4-4-2 players and continually choose to do without an attacking midfielder.

You cannot have defensive full-backs, defensive central midfield players and non-penetrating wingers in an effective 4-4-2 so all your Johnannsson's, Jarretts, Tiatto's, Hughes's and even your Lows/Sylla's when they were here were simply not on and it was bloody nieve to think they were.

PMSL

You do crack me up fella, you really do!! Leicester City, who have struggled for a few years should be the trend setters. We may not have bought any decent players but its down to us to try and get out of arguably the hardest division in world football by trying a brand new tactic that will bamboozle all in this division. We`ll play a 433 and our 3 midfielders will be lightweights and we will batter the West Hma quartet and there 442 next season if they manage to keep Reo-Coker and Quashie in the middle, and Boa Morte and Benayoun in wide positions. There is no way that Levi and friends would get over-run would they??

One thing though as you seem to be a master tactician, when you play a 442 the two wide midfielders should both bomb forward and help out the full-backs leaving the central mids to pick up the runners and protect the central defenders. Hopefully the wide mids in a 4 would also cover for a full-back going ona run. When you play your expansive 3 midfielders, who covers the fullbacks whilst they attack and what happens to the centre of midfield when players are out of position????? Your tactics would see us get mullered every week and what we need is to improve personnel and get players in that can attack from full-back positions (BTW that wont be easy as theer arent that many good ones in the Premiership never mind at this level) and play as a unit and a team. Then you`ll see improvements and they`ll be no need for your Hollywood/miracle attempts at football formations.

Hartson, Pedersen, Gray, Euell, Toderov. No, I wouldn't choose those five ;) I just can only see those players from that list considering joining us at this stage in their careers and the only one I'd take is Toddy. No one over 30 should be signed unless they'll have some sort of huge influence on the side. Graham Kavanagh fits the bill, surely he won't be needed by Sunderland once they are promoted?

A couple of loaned players aged 24-30 who might no longer seem needed at their Premiership clubs during the Summer is what we need.

Of those Berger, Sinclair, Murphy and Todorov would interest me... Murphy most of all!

Then again are we forgetting Hartson? He's out of contract with WestBrom at the end of the season..

As a rule two thirds of the players we bring in should be under 26, the likes of Jarvis, Camp, Varney and Merida (on loan) are all realisitic targets and the kind of players we should be focusing on in the summer. But while we should have a transfur policy shaped by the desire to construct a sustainable, younger squad we're going to be moving out a hell of a lot of "senior" (if untalented) players in the summer... so some "experianced" (talented) players as a backbone to complement the younger squad members can only help.

Archived