Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

hot off the press

Allen: Favourite for Foxes job

Milan 'impressed' by Allen attitude

Milan Mandaric admits it is Martin Allen's enthusiasm and passion that has pushed him to the front of the queue to become Leicester's new boss.

n the first concrete move to replace Rob Kelly who was sacked last month, Mandaric was given permission to speak to the MK Dons boss about the vacant managerial post at the Walkers Stadium on Tuesday morning.

"I have been trying to narrow down the list of names and I have asked MK Dons if I can talk to Martin Allen," Mandaric told the Leicester Mercury.

"He has impressed me with his attitude to the game and he shows great enthusiasm all the time. It is the sort of passion that I feel has been missing from this club for a long time and I want to try to restore it to the team and to the fans.

"He seems a good young manager and I want someone who is going to be a long-term asset to the club."

Allen, whose attitude and commitment as a player earned him the nickname 'Mad Dog', has emerged as a surprise candidate for the job after guiding the Dons to the League Two play-offs where they lost 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals to Shrewsbury.

The 41-year-old has only spent one season at the National Hockey Stadium but he had already built a reputation as one of the game's brightest young managers at his previous club Brentford, whom he also led to the play-offs in 2005 and 2006.

Mandaric revealed earlier this week that former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock had joined Nigel Worthington on the shortlist to fill the position but it now looks likely that Allen could get the nod.

The Dons are not surprised that their manager is attracting the interest of clubs from a higher level.

A statement read: "Milton Keynes Dons can confirm that the club has reluctantly given permission for Martin Allen to be approached by Leicester City.

"It is not this club's policy to prevent any of its players or staff discussing the opportunity to progress in their careers.

"Martin has enjoyed a successful first year with us and it comes as no surprise that clubs at a higher level are interested. We have no further comment to make at this time."

I wonder who owns the copyright on "already built a reputation as one of the game's brightest young managers" because they'll have earned a fair few bob over the last 24 hours.

Archived