Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Writing Off

It seems that many of my fellow blue army brothers are writing off possible signings before they get here! I cannot understand this attude have we become fans of a continentaly renown footballing institution which only takes on players for over a million pound?

What's annoyed me is the responces like "oh he's from the conferance so how can he be good enough for us" statements, I remind you of the guy from Wolves who murdered our defense on the last day of the season he was from the conf Michael Keightly is it?

And the " Yeah he has not been good for seasons" statements to some other targets, yeah some players have been gash over the past few seasons thats why clubs like ours take gambles due to the fact that we unfortuneately are not Chelsea or Man U and cannot buy success even with a Manderic who will spend bud but not £10m although it would be nice.

Do we forget the O'Neil years where players like Sav, Lennon, Izzett, Cottee, Marshall, Elliott, Tags, Guppy, Keller, Collymore to name a few had either had their time or so it was thought, or had been passed over by the larger football sides and already been stamped a not good enough for us, thats why we gambled and became a scuccess because we gave these guys a chance. Who are we to start turning up our noses?

Allen is just the man to transform our lazy sods! And its nice to see us loking lower to find English tallent like Wolves as they have without doubt enjoyed such tallents like Keightly

Disagree? :rolleyes::S:)

I agree but players like Michael Kightly (i mean a talent from the Conference being able to step up a few levels) don't come around all the time.

Cheers, the way some on here have posted is very choosy and one may have been carried away to believe that I was supporting Real Madrid :whistle:

Agree with every word. I love the gambling nature of our transfers, just because it's turned out badly with a few recently doesn't mean it will again - especially with a manager who looks capable of getting the best out of players which is something we haven't had for a while.

There are one or two players who I'm not sure I'd like to see at City but generally my favourite transfers always turn out to be the ones you say 'Who?' about when you first hear their names.

And Allen looks like he knows what he looks for in a player, bring it on! Can't wait for next season.

Agree with every word. I love the gambling nature of our transfers, just because it's turned out badly with a few recently doesn't mean it will again - especially with a manager who looks capable of getting the best out of players which is something we haven't had for a while.

There are one or two players who I'm not sure I'd like to see at City but generally my favourite transfers always turn out to be the ones you say 'Who?' about when you first hear their names.

And Allen looks like he knows what he looks for in a player, bring it on! Can't wait for next season.

Personally I would not sign Court, or Cresswell as I having watched them on more than 1 occasion think they are bad players but I believe that Allen would get them to play if he had charge of them or ship them out if they were not up to the job, not really a gamble if you look at it like that.

Also it excites me that we may be bringing in a relative unknown from non league, as you say other teams fans would be like "Who"?

Also it excites me that we may be bringing in a relative unknown from non league, as you say other teams fans would be like "Who"?

Don't you often find that players who are decent when brought to leicester often never find their feet here and end up as mediocre at best, whereas when we bring unknowns, bench warmers or lower-league players they usually fair better than the so called 'stars', prime examples izzet, lennon, elliott etc.

I'm all for bringing in unknowns, so long as they can make the jump from conference to championship.

It seems that many of my fellow blue army brothers are writing off possible signings before they get here! I cannot understand this attude have we become fans of a continentaly renown footballing institution which only takes on players for over a million pound?

What's annoyed me is the responces like "oh he's from the conferance so how can he be good enough for us" statements, I remind you of the guy from Wolves who murdered our defense on the last day of the season he was from the conf Michael Keightly is it?

And the " Yeah he has not been good for seasons" statements to some other targets, yeah some players have been gash over the past few seasons thats why clubs like ours take gambles due to the fact that we unfortuneately are not Chelsea or Man U and cannot buy success even with a Manderic who will spend bud but not £10m although it would be nice.

Do we forget the O'Neil years where players like Sav, Lennon, Izzett, Cottee, Marshall, Elliott, Tags, Guppy, Keller, Collymore to name a few had either had their time or so it was thought, or had been passed over by the larger football sides and already been stamped a not good enough for us, thats why we gambled and became a scuccess because we gave these guys a chance. Who are we to start turning up our noses?

Allen is just the man to transform our lazy sods! And its nice to see us loking lower to find English tallent like Wolves as they have without doubt enjoyed such tallents like Keightly

Disagree? :rolleyes::S:)

Your point is well made however, the real question lies within it. O'Neill was an undoubted success in trawling through the unknowns, cast offs etc of football. yet he is one of a very few managers who have managed to continue this success over a sustained period. for every Izzett there is a trevor Benjamin or Elvis hammond for every keller there is a Rab douglas or Kevin pressman. i could go on the number of players snatched from lower leagues is always in the minority and of leicester managers only wallace and O'Neill of the more recent era have manged to succeed here.

whilst I agree with you in principal several of the players mentioned are perhaps past their sell by date and unless we succeed in promotion next season will need to be replaced in a couple of years anyway. to me the acid test is will an incoming player be better than what we currently have. So would carl Cort (2 goals in his last 32 appearances) be any better than De vries?? would an unknown striker from the confernce be better than Hume?

So this brings us to the nitty gritty. is Allen the guy to spot talent from lower leagues? the jury is still out on this?

The point people make about recent form is also relevant. carl Cort is an especially good example of this. before sept 2005 he had a reasonable if unspectacular record but since then his form has been terrible. this is not a mere blip in form but possibly a terminal decline in his career.

There are bargains in lower leagues but they are not common let's hope we can find them but imo we will need proven quality to get out of this league.

Your point is well made however, the real question lies within it. O'Neill was an undoubted success in trawling through the unknowns, cast offs etc of football. yet he is one of a very few managers who have managed to continue this success over a sustained period. for every Izzett there is a trevor Benjamin or Elvis hammond for every keller there is a Rab douglas or Kevin pressman. i could go on the number of players snatched from lower leagues is always in the minority and of leicester managers only wallace and O'Neill of the more recent era have manged to succeed here.

whilst I agree with you in principal several of the players mentioned are perhaps past their sell by date and unless we succeed in promotion next season will need to be replaced in a couple of years anyway. to me the acid test is will an incoming player be better than what we currently have. So would carl Cort (2 goals in his last 32 appearances) be any better than De vries?? would an unknown striker from the confernce be better than Hume?

So this brings us to the nitty gritty. is Allen the guy to spot talent from lower leagues? the jury is still out on this?

The point people make about recent form is also relevant. carl Cort is an especially good example of this. before sept 2005 he had a reasonable if unspectacular record but since then his form has been terrible. this is not a mere blip in form but possibly a terminal decline in his career.

There are bargains in lower leagues but they are not common let's hope we can find them but imo we will need proven quality to get out of this league.

I don't disagree with what you have said I believe that proven players at Champ or better level will be the key to Winning the division (I want to sing Champions :cool: )

I just cannot understand some on here that dismiss with a carefree attitude Conf players as useless as they have come from the conference :rolleyes::frusty::blink:

Some (I.E Court) agreed have been in past seasons shite but I don't count out a possibility (i cannot believe i am saying this) that Allen may be able to revitalize him in an O'Neill like way just because Allen has passion and drive to succeed

I am really taken with Martin Allen, because of his attitude, I believe that it is the 1 major reason why the past managers after O'Neill have failed and that is because they have not got that characteristic that will fuse the side together and make them believe the Foxes Never Quit rather than the shite that we have been dished up over the past what? 7 years

we havent signed anyone yet and Allen hasnt confirmed names of who he is after. ofcourse we will be linked to players all the time and the only one i am excited about is Lee Hendrie but considering we were meant to find out Friday where he will be next season this bollocks is taking an age. the season has only just finished though and transfer deadline closes at 11:59 pm on august 31st so there is plenty of time. although it does need sorting early this time if we are serious.

hmmm, whilst i admire your stance, i think the detail you have overlocked is that what o'neill did was assembling a TEAM that worked so well together, the overall result was was greater than the individuals involved - look at these players post-city, only lennon really did any good, and even then by playing at, ahem, a lower level and maybe heskey tho many would disagree.

what will define Allen's sucess is whether he can bring in players that compliment each other.

However.... :unsure:

what really annoys me about your genuinely decent sentiment is that below it you have a pointless, deeply negative, insult about elvis hammond - i know a lot of people have jumped on this rather mystifyingly intense hate campaign, and i certainly don't want to start it up again - but it smacks of hypocrisy.

to raise doubt over incoming signings is understandable, especially if justified (horsfield, dublin et al), but, yes, as you rightly say not so healthy; but to openly print something like that, negativity about players already at the club whether you like them or not, is far worse and really makes your entirely valid point misfire somewhat...

why not set an example and change your sig to something more positive... :thumbup:

hmmm, whilst i admire your stance, i think the detail you have overlocked is that what o'neill did was assembling a TEAM that worked so well together, the overall result was was greater than the individuals involved - look at these players post-city, only lennon really did any good, and even then by playing at, ahem, a lower level and maybe heskey tho many would disagree.

what will define Allen's sucess is whether he can bring in players that compliment each other.

However.... :unsure:

what really annoys me about your genuinely decent sentiment is that below it you have a pointless, deeply negative, insult about elvis hammond - i know a lot of people have jumped on this rather mystifyingly intense hate campaign, and i certainly don't want to start it up again - but it smacks of hypocrisy.

to raise doubt over incoming signings is understandable, especially if justified (horsfield, dublin et al), but, yes, as you rightly say not so healthy; but to openly print something like that, negativity about players already at the club whether you like them or not, is far worse and really makes your entirely valid point misfire somewhat...

why not set an example and change your sig to something more positive... :thumbup:

Maybe I am a little hypocritical Valerenga, but have you watched him play? The guy is USELESS and everyone knows it! I don't like the guy because he is terrible and the worst player I have ever seen in my 18 years of watching LCFC, hey he maybe a great bloke and a real laugh at parties have the biggest wanger in town but he cannot play football my friend and as soon as he is gone i assure you i will remove the sig! :thumbup:

Maybe I am a little hypocritical Valerenga, but have you watched him play? The guy is USELESS and everyone knows it! I don't like the guy because he is terrible and the worst player I have ever seen in my 18 years of watching LCFC, hey he maybe a great bloke and a real laugh at parties have the biggest wanger in town but he cannot play football my friend and as soon as he is gone i assure you i will remove the sig! :thumbup:

Blimey you have had a real rant on here!...and I fully agree with your sig but I can't believe you can possibly think we are going to challenge in the championship with unknowns from non-league football..I don't doubt MA has drive and commitment that will be evident throughout the team but that won't win promotion without skill,experience and a little talent!

i guess that's your prerogative - can't say i thought he was any worse than most of the others this season - funnily enough, best player i saw this season was levi, and he seems to have been in for a lot of stick also - seems like there is a growing culture of picking up on the bad rather than praising the (very few, admittedly) good points.

you are not they only one, certainly not the worst culprit - maybe we should have a negative sig amnesty, where everyone says positive stuff about next year :D:clap:

i guess that's your prerogative - can't say i thought he was any worse than most of the others this season - funnily enough, best player i saw this season was levi, and he seems to have been in for a lot of stick also - seems like there is a growing culture of picking up on the bad rather than praising the (very few, admittedly) good points.

you are not they only one, certainly not the worst culprit - maybe we should have a negative sig amnesty, where everyone says positive stuff about next year :D:clap:

What like hurray Hammonds off?? :rolleyes::whistle::worship::thumbup::D

what evan worse than dennis wise or peter taylors best mate junior lewis

What like hurray Hammonds off?? :rolleyes::whistle::worship::thumbup::D

;) - ha, well it's a step in the right direction i guess...

but, your point does raise some serious issues - are leicester fans the most pessimistic fans in england? - a poll, perhaps?

but, your point does raise some serious issues - are leicester fans the most pessimistic fans in england? - a poll, perhaps?

If we had a poll like that, I bet we'd lose. :whistle:

I don't think they are pessimistic just unrealistic, I too am guilty of this sometimes! I don't get knocking a players because he has never played at champ level before its like saying to someone who has just finished school, just leave the whole work thing mate as you have no experience of it :rolleyes:

Archived