Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

De Zeeuw offered Leicester deal (SkySports)

I think the Dons shipped 64 goals too last season or thereabouts (inclusive of Cup matches) so excuse me if I'm nervous of MA's judgement and I also remain concerned about voluntarily signing anyone who probably won't prove fit enough to complete a full season.

I've never been happy with the idea of giving ourselves voluntary handicaps.

Clearly he's a quality defender so I sincerely hope we see the 30 games that would satisfy you. However I shall remain sceptical and would rather go the young and hungry route anytime. In fact I think our defence needs more pace rather than more experience but there's more than one way of doing a job I suppose.

Our defence needs to stop making defensive errors, usually the case of in-experience, crapness or as you say lack of pace.

MK Dons did indeed ship plenty of goals last season, but i'm not going to suggest that all Martin Allen's teams ship goals. There's no reason why we can't get a good defence together and a very productive attack, therefore we score plenty and keep the goals against down to a minimum. I can't see the negatives to De Zeeuw for a season, there's no evidence that he's not up to it any longer.

As for pace at the back, you might be right but if you look at the centre halves employed by Stoke, Burnley, Cardiff, etc the teams who were mid table but still had good defensive records shows that they did it with players hardly blessed with pace.

Our defence needs to stop making defensive errors, usually the case of in-experience, crapness or as you say lack of pace.

MK Dons did indeed ship plenty of goals last season, but i'm not going to suggest that all Martin Allen's teams ship goals. There's no reason why we can't get a good defence together and a very productive attack, therefore we score plenty and keep the goals against down to a minimum. I can't see the negatives to De Zeeuw for a season, there's no evidence that he's not up to it any longer.

As for pace at the back, you might be right but if you look at the centre halves employed by Stoke, Burnley, Cardiff, etc the teams who were mid table but still had good defensive records shows that they did it with players hardly blessed with pace.

And Milan did okay with old timers at the back in the champions League final. So yes. it can be done.

It just wouldn't be my way and maybe the "experience" I've seen at Leicester these recent seasons has made my scepticism inevitable.

What with Maybury's abject performances, Nils being woefully exposed on the turn, Kenton being just as bad and even McAuley being pedestrian, particularly when shifted to right back I really wasn't impressed. Johnson didn't offer any sunshine in front of them and Tiatto was, as I predicted at the time he signed, just a part-timer really.

Collectively, for experienced players they were a bad advert. Yes Tiatto, Nils and McAuley were generally acceptable in an ordinary sort of way but there was no inspiring leadership from our senior players and some were glaringly unreliable.

I hope the picture changes because we're going to get old timers anyway, that's more than clear.

Seems interesting about the Austrian though, assuming he's any good. I thought the phrase "attacking midfielder" had become obsolete! :D

Thrac I think you confusing shite experienced players with decent experienced players. Its clear we need a leader of the back line- who the hell are we going to get at this level who's young, hungry, decent and a leader? I'd love us to be signing decent youngsters all the time, but its quite simply not possible.

Ric's right. You have to look to the short term AND the long term. If De Zeeuw gives us the experience necessary in the back line, even for 30 matches I'll be happy. Perhaps he'll be able to teach Kisnorbo et al. how to defend from set-pieces- cause the amount we conceded from set-pieces last season was a fricking joke.

Thrac I think you confusing shite experienced players with decent experienced players. Its clear we need a leader of the back line- who the hell are we going to get at this level who's young, hungry, decent and a leader? I'd love us to be signing decent youngsters all the time, but its quite simply not possible.

Ric's right. You have to look to the short term AND the long term. If De Zeeuw gives us the experience necessary in the back line, even for 30 matches I'll be happy. Perhaps he'll be able to teach Kisnorbo et al. how to defend from set-pieces- cause the amount we conceded from set-pieces last season was a fricking joke.

As I've said I hope it works out that way. I just don't believe it will.

I agree we need a leader though, someone who will organise the defence and talk them through the whole covering process.

I'd have a bit of De Zeeuw.

Wigan were cack without him for the most part... I'm wondering out loud if they ever managed a clean sheet in his absence? :unsure:

Probably, but not many.

He still played part in 21 league games for Wigan this season, despite numerous injury problems... and they kept six clean sheets in those 21 games. They also had a few nightmare games - but 7 goals were put past them by a rampant Man Utd, but that was a time when Man Utd seemed to score 3 or 4 goals a game. lol

Anyway, I reckon he could do a job for us... even if he only managed to play another 21 games next season, it'd be worth it if he could sort that back four out. He may not be very quick any more, but I'm pretty sure he's got sound positional sense for the most part... and he's gotta be better at defending set pieces than some of the useless gits we've seen of late. :ph34r:

Worth a shot, I'd say... I'd be a lot more optimistic of his worth to us than when Tiatto signed for another year, or when Johnson joined. Definitely. :thumbup:

I'd have a bit of De Zeeuw.

Wigan were cack without him for the most part... I'm wondering out loud if they ever managed a clean sheet in his absence? :unsure:

Probably, but not many.

He still played part in 21 league games for Wigan this season, despite numerous injury problems... and they kept six clean sheets in those 21 games. They also had a few nightmare games - but 7 goals were put past them by a rampant Man Utd, but that was a time when Man Utd seemed to score 3 or 4 goals a game. lol

Anyway, I reckon he could do a job for us... even if he only managed to play another 21 games next season, it'd be worth it if he could sort that back four out. He may not be very quick any more, but I'm pretty sure he's got sound positional sense for the most part... and he's gotta be better at defending set pieces than some of the useless gits we've seen of late. :ph34r:

Worth a shot, I'd say... I'd be a lot more optimistic of his worth to us than when Tiatto signed for another year, or when Johnson joined. Definitely. :thumbup:

Ummmm. Ric wanted 30 games, last season he played 21. No reason to expect any more. Even accepting he's a good player I'll rest my case. Surely there must be better options.

Ummmm. Ric wanted 30 games, last season he played 21. No reason to expect any more. Even accepting he's a good player I'll rest my case. Surely there must be better options.

have to agree ; would be a senseless signing

I've been away for a little while but surely he played 21 in the premiership which is a much higher level then 30 in the championship, bearing in mind the quality he was playing against last season and what he'd be up against in a season at our level.

Underwelmed by the idea, a 21 game a season player is not what I'd hoped for and as he's now a further year older I can't see that being improved upon.

I also don't see him gaining any advantages, from a fitness perspective because it's the Championship and not the Premier.

It's not made me want to rush out and get my ST that's for sure.

Leicester City have made a bid to bring veteran defender Arjan De Zeeuw to the Walkers Stadium, according to the player's agent.

De Zeeuw is out of contract and available on a free transfer after being released by Premiership side Wigan at the end of last season.

The 37-year-old Dutchman has been heavily linked with a move to City during the close season.

Now his agent, Humphrey Nijman, has claimed City have made him an offer.

Nijman said: "It is true Leicester have shown an interest in Arjan.

"They have made an offer and he is considering it.

Leicester City have made a bid to bring veteran defender Arjan De Zeeuw to the Walkers Stadium, according to the player's agent.

De Zeeuw is out of contract and available on a free transfer after being released by Premiership side Wigan at the end of last season.

The 37-year-old Dutchman has been heavily linked with a move to City during the close season.

Now his agent, Humphrey Nijman, has claimed City have made him an offer.

Nijman said: "It is true Leicester have shown an interest in Arjan.

"They have made an offer and he is considering it.

I don't live on the site either but I do realise that you're a problem.

I think he'd be an excellent signing, a leader on the pitch is exactly what we've been lacking certainly since Dublin left. I think we'll get hin for a year see how he does then maybe looks at a second year. I still think he has a lot to offer both on and off the pitch. He has experience of previous promotion with Portsmouth and a wise head to maybe guide the younger players I.e McCarthy and Stearman could both learn a lot off this guy certainly in terms of professionalism.

I also think that our defenders are better as "second" defenders if you like. For example McCarthy I think was excellant the season before last when with Dublin and having a less integural part in the defence, the same with Kisnorbo I thin hes had a brilliant season but was possibly better without the responsibilty of captaincy. I'm not trying to say they'll never be captains but I think their game needs to be complete before talking on the extra responsibility.

I think he'd be an excellent signing, a leader on the pitch is exactly what we've been lacking certainly since Dublin left. I think we'll get hin for a year see how he does then maybe looks at a second year. I still think he has a lot to offer both on and off the pitch. He has experience of previous promotion with Portsmouth and a wise head to maybe guide the younger players I.e McCarthy and Stearman could both learn a lot off this guy certainly in terms of professionalism.

I also think that our defenders are better as "second" defenders if you like. For example McCarthy I think was excellant the season before last when with Dublin and having a less integural part in the defence, the same with Kisnorbo I thin hes had a brilliant season but was possibly better without the responsibilty of captaincy. I'm not trying to say they'll never be captains but I think their game needs to be complete before talking on the extra responsibility.

Good points those - IF he's not forever injured. :thumbup:

I was waiting to be convinced about this guy and you sounded so convincing until you mentioned Dublin, leader on the pitch ha! don't make me laugh, liability more like!

I was waiting to be convinced about this guy and you sounded so convincing until you mentioned Dublin, leader on the pitch ha! don't make me laugh, liability more like!

I wasn't trying to argue that he was a good leader because I don't think he was. I was just trying to explain that whilst he was leading the back line at times during the 2004/05 and 2005/06 season I thought it brought the best out of McCarthy as he didn't have the captain's responsibility and could concentrate on his own game. I think De Zeeuw would make an excellent captain and would allow fellow defenders to take example of him and improve their own games as the majority still have time on their sides.

If he signs for us it will be a real step back, isn't this supposed to be a new start.

Yes its a new start and no he wouldn't be a step back for us.

the way I see it everyone moans when Micky Adams had a ancient squad when we came down in 04/05, everyone moaned so Levein and Kelly between them brought in / gave younger players the chance which some have but I think our squad lacks a lot of experience, and its experience needed to get out of this division, experience which he would bring.

Yes its a new start and no he wouldn't be a step back for us.

the way I see it everyone moans when Micky Adams had a ancient squad when we came down in 04/05

Yes and thats why I am baffled by the support by near enough all FT users for this transfer. MA had his hands tied with barely any money to spend, but now we have choice with MM's millions. Getting De Zeeuw would be ridiculous, he is 37 FFS, and if you want to talk about experience the three center halves who are all the right side of 30 have it in abundance. All three have been included in international squads and plenty of championship games behind them after last season. Dion Dublin is experienced but nobody would want him back, I'm sorry but I can't see the appeal of De Zeeuw.

Yes and thats why I am baffled by the support by near enough all FT users for this transfer. MA had his hands tied with barely any money to spend, but now we have choice with MM's millions. Getting De Zeeuw would be ridiculous, he is 37 FFS, and if you want to talk about experience the three center halves who are all the right side of 30 have it in abundance. All three have been included in international squads and plenty of championship games behind them after last season. Dion Dublin is experienced but nobody would want him back, I'm sorry but I can't see the appeal of De Zeeuw.

Experience in abundance?? Experience of what exactly? Certainly not of being a player in a half-decent team, let alone a key player in a Premiership team.

Archived