Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

De Zeeuw offered Leicester deal (SkySports)

Good! :thumbup: He's the kind of player that should be able to add the leadership we need in the back four, on the negative side he's getting on a bit, however he's been excellent for Wigan and ticks a lot of boxes for us... so long as we're not going to make a habit of signing older players, overall i think he's a very good signing :)

I'd be amazed if we don't get him if we have made an offer. Mandaric and Redknapp are hugely responsible for alot of what De Zeeuw has achieved in English football. He was a lower league footballer before he joined Pompey.

I have also heard from a well informed Pompey fan that he and Milan are actually big mates off the pitch and have been known to play tennis together on regular occasions.

he's an excellent example of an experienced pro who our young players can learn an an awful lot from

Brilliant :thumbup: Should (If not then ... :mad: ) be captain. Despite his age I still think he could do it for Wigan in the Premiership! Will be brilliant.

I have huge reservations about handing him the captaincy.

His injury record of late hasn't been too clever. I'd rather we handed the captaincy to someone a little younger, who'll be here for more than a year or two and is likely to play almost all games possible. He doesn't need to be captain to be a leader on the pitch - our defence is screaming out for someone who can organize things at the back - De Zeeuw could be that man. Perhaps.

The 37-year-old is looking for a new club after not being offered fresh terms at Wigan at the end of the season.

De Zeeuw is a wanted man by several clubs in the Premiership and Championship as he is an attractive proposition under the Bosman Ruling.

Leicester are hoping to steal a march on their rivals by luring De Zeeuw to The Walkers Stadium and they have tabled an offer for the Dutchman.

De Zeeuw's agent Humphrey Nijman confirmed Leicester had made an offer for the player and the experienced defender was considering his options.

"It is true Leicester have shown an interest in Arjan," Nijman told skysports.com.

"They have made an offer for Arjan and he is considering it.

"There are a number of clubs from the Premiership and Championship who are interested in Arjan.

"Arjan is currently away on holiday and when he comes back we will make a decision on his future.

"But he is open to all options as he wants to keep on playing in England."

37. At a risk of stating the bleeding obvious that is pretty old even for a defender. He has quality definitely and will walk into our starting line-up but he really will only be good for a couple of seasons, right?

As long as we blend youth and experience and don't rely too heavily on either I'm sure he will prove a valuable, if short-term, signing.

Thracian won't be happy with this :o

Hope we get him, he's still a good defender, his only problem could be a lack of pace, although theres not many many good and fast players at this level, so he should do a job for us. :D

The agent's response hardly sounds as if he is hell bent on his client signing for Leicester. More along the lines of "an offer's been made but we're in the market for anything better."

It bothers me not except that time moves on and we still need something to stir the soul. Sounds as if he'll be another Tiatto anyway. Okay when he's fit which won't be all the time.

The agent's response hardly sounds as if he is hell bent on his client signing for Leicester. More along the lines of "an offer's been made but we're in the market for anything better."

It bothers me not except that time moves on and we still need something to stir the soul. Sounds as if he'll be another Tiatto anyway. Okay when he's fit which won't be all the time.

He's 37..........will only have a year or two left at most.

He will get the best deal he can. He isn't going to play his last year in the championship when he could be playing in the prem is he?

That's fine though Thrac. If he put's in good performances when he does play then he'll be a valuable squad player and the likes of Stearman and Mattock should be honoured to be able to learn of players like De Zeeuw. Who at 37 is still wanted by Premiership clubs, a fantastic achievement for a player who looked to be nothing more than a lower league player back in the late 90's.

His age only concerns me if he is given a 3 year deal, is played every game and plays crap but is never dropped. But the likelyhood of all if any of those happening is extremely doubtful.

He'll get a year's deal and if we get 30 games out of him, then i'm sure the team as a whole will have massively benefited from him being here.

Our defenders as much as they were praised last season, shipped 64 goals. A dirty amount compared to other seasons when we've struggled. Kisnorbo and McAuley both have ability and score plenty of goals but they still didn't pass with flying colours when you look at the goals against figures and the own goals scored by them! :blink:

That's fine though Thrac. If he put's in good performances when he does play then he'll be a valuable squad player and the likes of Stearman and Mattock should be honoured to be able to learn of players like De Zeeuw. Who at 37 is still wanted by Premiership clubs, a fantastic achievement for a player who looked to be nothing more than a lower league player back in the late 90's.

His age only concerns me if he is given a 3 year deal, is played every game and plays crap but is never dropped. But the likelyhood of all if any of those happening is extremely doubtful.

He'll get a year's deal and if we get 30 games out of him, then i'm sure the team as a whole will have massively benefited from him being here.

Our defenders as much as they were praised last season, shipped 64 goals. A dirty amount compared to other seasons when we've struggled. Kisnorbo and McAuley both have ability and score plenty of goals but they still didn't pass with flying colours when you look at the goals against figures and the own goals scored by them! :blink:

:thumbup:

Well said Ric.

I suspect also that his attitude will not be akin to Mr Keown's.

Well said Ric.

I suspect also that his attitude will not be akin to Mr Keown's.

Haha, exactly. Although should Mr Allen get the boot early doors I imagine Mr De Zeeuw will be stepping up in to a Caretaker's role. Something Mr Keown was desperate for when Adams resigned. Keown only came here because he fancied the gig himself.

I think the Dons shipped 64 goals too last season or thereabouts (inclusive of Cup matches) so excuse me if I'm nervous of MA's judgement and I also remain concerned about voluntarily signing anyone who probably won't prove fit enough to complete a full season.

I've never been happy with the idea of giving ourselves voluntary handicaps.

Clearly he's a quality defender so I sincerely hope we see the 30 games that would satisfy you. However I shall remain sceptical and would rather go the young and hungry route anytime. In fact I think our defence needs more pace rather than more experience but there's more than one way of doing a job I suppose.

Archived