Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

Sparks - am i the only one here into this massively underated band?

'kinell! :|

And you have bad words to say about Queen!

How very dare you! :@

i don't have a problem with queen - i was being hypothetical - i'm not sure queen are musically as sophisticated as ron mael though - but then i don't know enough of queen's non-single work - and my favorite queen track is: Flash! ah ah, saviour of the universe! :worship:

i don't have a problem with queen - i was being hypothetical - i'm not sure queen are musically as sophisticated as ron mael though - but then i don't know enough of queen's non-single work - and my favorite queen track is: Flash! ah ah, saviour of the universe! :worship:

You have got to be joking, or winding me up!!

Freddie had more musical sophistication in his little finger than Ron Mael. I saw Sparks in London a few years back and I did enjoy it, but your comments make no sense.

Freddie was more of a showman for a start. Brian May is highly regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Roger Taylor was in the Top 10 drummers a few years back. John Deacon was...er..the bassist.

Freddie wrote an opera - did Ron / Russell?

Freddie wrote Bo Rap - a song that changed music / music videos forever. What did Sparks do? Oh. Nothing.

1999 - The band were voted the second greatest band in music history.

2005 - The band's performance at Live Aid is voted two times by a large selection of musicians and critics to be the greatest live show of all time.

2007 - The band was voted the 'Best British Band Of All Time.

I could go on. A lot!

And as for Flash being your favourite Queen song - I implore you to start to listen to a bit more Queen.

Anything else you want to know, please ask! :thumbup:

You have got to be joking, or winding me up!!

Freddie had more musical sophistication in his little finger than Ron Mael. I saw Sparks in London a few years back and I did enjoy it, but your comments make no sense.

Freddie was more of a showman for a start. Brian May is highly regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Roger Taylor was in the Top 10 drummers a few years back. John Deacon was...er..the bassist. - by who's standards are these the best guitarist/drummers in the world - some magazine or radio poll, no doubt they are talented, but i'm sure there are plaenty of great musicians that most people haven't even heard of that are way better.

Freddie wrote an opera - did Ron / Russell? - probably not - but mozart and verdi did - your point being

Freddie wrote Bo Rap - a song that changed music / music videos forever. What did Sparks do? Oh. Nothing. - 'bo rap' is undoubtedly a cool song but, whilst it is, technically, rhapsodic, it is also uncomfortably disjointed part show tune, part metal rock out personally i don't think it is even the best queen song - yes i know it is considered a masterpiece, such is the inconsistency of hype, : which is most evident in its 'first real pop video' claim -of course it wasn't the first, it also is one of the poorest videos made, some (already out of date) video effects and some live footage... hmmm, well done

1999 - The band were voted the second greatest band in music history. - by whom?

2005 - The band's performance at Live Aid is voted two times by a large selection of musicians and critics to be the greatest live show of all time. - huh? sentimaental nonsense.

2007 - The band was voted the 'Best British Band Of All Time. - not by anyone i know?

I could go on. A lot!

And as for Flash being your favourite Queen song - I implore you to start to listen to a bit more Queen. - i would be glad to, but first i have to overcome this long established nausea caused by this sort of paluditry

Anything else you want to know, please ask! :thumbup: - which album should i listen to first?

and please don't think i'm a queen-hating-dick - i like a lot of their stuff, its just i've heard these sorts of claims so many times that i find it hard to toleate:

my greatest problem with queen is this terrible habit of clinging to accolades, they are a good band and you are a sound bloke, let us not fall out over this ;)

as for sparks, well, i think the intracacy and subtlety of their music (whilst still being flamboyant) is, to my tastes anyway, more sophisticated: as i say, i find stuff like 'bo rap' discomfortingly clumsy: i would like to hope that FM came up with better arranged stuff than this.

and please don't think i'm a queen-hating-dick - i like a lot of their stuff, its just i've heard these sorts of claims so many times that i find it hard to toleate:

my greatest problem with queen is this terrible habit of clinging to accolades, they are a good band and you are a sound bloke, let us not fall out over this ;)

as for sparks, well, i think the intracacy and subtlety of their music (whilst still being flamboyant) is, to my tastes anyway, more sophisticated: as i say, i find stuff like 'bo rap' discomfortingly clumsy: i would like to hope that FM came up with better arranged stuff than this.

Oh. My. God.

I won't fall out with you over this.

But seriously, you are so wrong over this. I respect your opinion but yours is misguided and certainly in the minority.

I was going to answer each of your points but it's too long. What you need to consider is that many of the accolades Queen received were given by their peers in the music industry.

Bo Rap was a short 'rock opera' for the sake of a better explanation, that is why it is disjointed. In a good way.

As for Sparks' intracacies and subtlties, I think they lost that when Balls came out. And that L'il Beethoven was,quite frankly, atrocious. I think sales prove that. Give me old Sparks anytime.

No we won't fall out over this.

But I shall be making plans to invade Norway.

Armed with proper music.

And you will listen. :thumbup:

Oh. My. God.

I won't fall out with you over this.

But seriously, you are so wrong over this. I respect your opinion but yours is misguided and certainly in the minority.

I was going to answer each of your points but it's too long. What you need to consider is that many of the accolades Queen received were given by their peers in the music industry.

Bo Rap was a short 'rock opera' for the sake of a better explanation, that is why it is disjointed. In a good way.

As for Sparks' intracacies and subtlties, I think they lost that when Balls came out. And that L'il Beethoven was,quite frankly, atrocious. I think sales prove that. Give me old Sparks anytime.

No we won't fall out over this.

But I shall be making plans to invade Norway.

Armed with proper music.

And you will listen. :thumbup:

heheh, ok.

you'll never change my mind about these so-called accolades, they bore me... and as for sparks, i don't own ball or beethoven, but wouldn't be surprised.

disjointed - in a good way - hmmm, now that will take some persuassion.

so were do i start? night at the opera?

heheh, ok.

you'll never change my mind about these so-called accolades, they bore me... and as for sparks, i don't own ball or beethoven, but wouldn't be surprised.

disjointed - in a good way - hmmm, now that will take some persuassion.

so were do i start? night at the opera?

And you said you were into Sparks?? :unsure:

And no, let's NOT go into how BRILLIANT that album was / is.

Let's just not. OK?

Don't go there.

And you said you were into Sparks?? :unsure:

And no, let's NOT go into how BRILLIANT that album was / is.

Let's just not. OK?

Don't go there.

i said was into em - i'm not, like, obsessive :unsure:

i said was into em - i'm not, like, obsessive :unsure:

Ah-ha! Now tha's where we differ, Sir.

Because I am quite obsessive about Queen.

Not in a gay way, of course.

Not that I'm against...

*stops digging*

*throws shovel away*

Ah-ha! Now tha's where we differ, Sir.

Because I am quite obsessive about Queen.

Not in a gay way, of course.

Not that I'm against...

*stops digging*

*throws shovel away*

Erm, I believe this is yours - it looks well used! :thumbup::whistle:

tool_1.jpg

Coat? who mentioned coat? :frusty::rolleyes:

You a fan Kent Fox, i still have them on cartridge, and may have them on cassette.....you can borrow them if you like!!! :D

Err, thanks.

Oh, no - would you believe both my cartridge player AND my cassette have been stolen?

I was looking forward to listening to them again :ermm:

well, am I?

Agreed that they are a massively under-rated band. Not sure how the Queen thing came up because their are only a handful of bands who can compare with that they achieved. I don't think Queen are really an accurate yardstick for judging how over/under rated a band are.

Agreed that they are a massively under-rated band. Not sure how the Queen thing came up because their are only a handful of bands who can compare with that they achieved. I don't think Queen are really an accurate yardstick for judging how over/under rated a band are.

heh, no the queen thing is just an ongoing pan-forum conversation between me and kent - just ignore us :rolleyes:

the thing with sparks, who are, as you say, incomparable with Queen, is that they were very clever arrangers and performers that wrote some hugely catchy tunes, and i don't know too many people who have heard of them.

not my favourite band, but great fun to listen to, and it's good to see i'm not alone...

Archived