Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

More quality to come

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?k...472007262600731

Martin Allen could do a U-turn on some of the players he transfer-listed in his first weeks as Leicester City manager.

And as Allen revealed there could be a possible lifeline at City for some of those six, he insisted there were more “quality†signings to come.

City's 11th signing of the summer came yesterday with a three-year deal for Birmingham City skipper Stephen Clemence for a £750,000 fee which could rise to £1million.

City are still trying to wrest DJ Campbell from the Blues with an increased offer and are optimistic about success, but the striker is only one of several men in Allen's sights.

And, while that will excite City fans, Allen has confessed that he might have to revisit some of the decisions he took on transfer-listing the players he did.

Allen has previously mentioned the good work of slimmed-down striker Mark de Vries who, along with Rab Douglas, Darren Kenton, Elvis Hammond, Alan Maybury and Stephen Hughes had been told they were free to find other clubs, with Hughes yet to complete a move to Hearts.

Allen said: “The attitude of the players has been exceptional, especially the attitude of those I told could leave a few weeks ago when I first got here.

“I had to create a bit of space for the new signings and I felt I was being honest and fair but their attitude has been spot-on.

“I have promised them all I would look after them, not treat them as if they had done something wrong because they hadn't.

“So it must be said they have been exceptional and, for some of them, I might have to revisit some of those decisions, depending on what I see over the next couple of weeks.

“I am man enough to say well maybe one or two of them might come back into it and do okay. They have trained hard and look dangerous.â€

Allen is well aware of the task of moulding the many newcomers into a settled squad and said: “The message is don't panic, don't be alarmed.

“The transition, the transformation, is only just starting. It had to be done.

“We need more quality and, over the next couple of weeks, I will start to close it down.

“I know where I have got to get it and the chairman has been fantastic in backing me, and every week he has a report on what is going on throughout the football club.

“He knows where I am coming from.

“I share everything with him, and he and the chief executive (Tim Davies) have been great in looking after me.â€

Today, City play their first public matches of pre-season - at Oadby (1pm) and at Quorn (3pm), with Allen taking in as much of both games as he can.

But he will be taking a low-key approach, which might be contrary to his touchline image.

He said: “I am going to sit back and enjoy watching the games, no pre-match instructions or shouting from the dug-out.

“I'll have a pie at half-time and really just take it all in.â€

He said: “I am going to sit back and enjoy watching the games, no pre-match instructions or shouting from the dug-out.

“I'll have a pie at half-time and really just take it all in.â€

He Had a bit of a rant during the oadby game!

A fair bit at hughes apparently :whistle:

He Had a bit of a rant during the oadby game!

A fair bit at hughes apparently :whistle:

Sounds like it was deserved. Hats off to MA that he played him and is invloving him in preseason. Many other clubs would have sidelined him and not put him into games to force him out. I will be interested to see if MA plays him again. MA said he is prepared to give them all a chance but by the sounds of how badly he played I wonder if he has blown his chance unless there are scouts coming down.

imo MA might have played the likes of de vries hammond and hughes against the lower quality sides like oadby and quorn thinking they might stand out and get noticed by scouts :dunno:

Archived