Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Academy start new season in style

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Lates...1094963,00.html

Leicester City's under 18 side started the season in fine style when they demolished Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The Foxes, who were crowned FA Premier Academy League Champions last campaign, started the new campaign where they had left the last with a convincing win.

Ricky Sappleton, who joined the club from QPR in the close season, gave the Foxes the lead in the first period before first year scholar Billy Kee smashed in four second half goals to secure the victory.

Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "It was a very pleasing start to the season - and we were particularly pleased with the second half performance on the day.

"We put together some good attacking play and our movement and passing were both excellent.

"It was pleasing to see Billy Kee grab four goals, but we were equally happy with keeping a clean sheet at the other end."

City: Cisak, O'Neill, Cob, Garner, Magunda, Tuttle, King, Cox (Burns), Beswick (Basey), Sappleton (C King), Kee.

Never heard of Kee but 4 goals sounds good. Well done Ricky also!

That is Correct.

Thought i recognised the name from school but wasn't sure if it was him! He was the captain for the team i was in in the 6 a-side thing at humphreys!! Infact, tevez, I scored against you in that, penalty, through the legs :D

:rolleyes::unsure::yawn:

Oh and on topic, Thracian, Look out for this boy. He's one for the future as is many other academy scholars.

I wonder how many youth players will be turning out for the reserves Monday. It certainly sounds a promising start to the campaign.

Clearly he's the next big thing.

Should be in the first team immediately.

He'll be the man to fire us into the premiership by March.

Definite future England player.

Or maybe, just maybe, we can avoid piling a load of pressure on this one and letting him develop in his own time and keep our fingers crossed for him coming through in a couple of years time.

Clearly he's the next big thing.

Should be in the first team immediately.

He'll be the man to fire us into the premiership by March.

Definite future England player.

Or maybe, just maybe, we can avoid piling a load of pressure on this one and letting him develop in his own time and keep our fingers crossed for him coming through in a couple of years time.

Don't try and make me feel guilty. I'm absolutely delighted that so many more fans are aware of our youngsters now and that they are talked about with far more pride and respect than was ever the case previously.

Cos two/three years ago there wouldn't have been a soul starting threads about individual youth players - yet we've had individual threads for Gradel, Porter, Logan and Dodds this week - either concerned with the players' progress on loan or, in Porter's case, whether he's worth a place in the first team.

Furthermore they're not started by me. Lots of people are interested now as shown by the number of posts.

And unlike the mood of the past where, if they were mentioned at all, it was just to ridicule the very idea that they should play for the first team, far more fans now seem to be encouraging, appreciative and wishing the players every success.

I'm chuffed about that and simply hope that the emergence of such youngsters who will finally make it will coincide with a change in our fortunes and a new era of success and quality football for the club.

Cos two/three years ago there wouldn't have been a soul starting threads about individual youth players - yet we've had individual threads for Gradel, Porter, Logan and Dodds this week - either concerned with the players' progress on loan or, in Porter's case, whether he's worth a place in the first team.

Sorry Thrac but that's rubbish, I've been here from the start and we have always had threads about young players long before you arrived. Dawson, Wright and Petrescu to name just three. All of which were about how they are going to be the next big thing. Where are they again?

And unlike the mood of the past where, if they were mentioned at all, it was just to ridicule the very idea that they should play for the first team, far more fans now seem to be encouraging, appreciative and wishing the players every success.

The only reason people would ever ridicule young players was because either they weren't good enough, or they were just aiming to wind you up about your obsession.

Sorry Thrac but that's rubbish, I've been here from the start and we have always had threads about young players long before you arrived. Dawson, Wright and Petrescu to name just three. All of which were about how they are going to be the next big thing. Where are they again?

The only reason people would ever ridicule young players was because either they weren't good enough, or they were just aiming to wind you up about your obsession.

I didn't say we never had an individual thread. I said threads plural. Four at once.

There is far, far more comment nowadays on the U18 team in general and emerging young players in particular than ever there used to be.

And by far more people.

I didn't say we never had an individual thread. I said threads plural. Four at once.

There is far, far more comment nowadays on the U18 team in general and emerging young players in particular than ever there used to be.

And by far more people.

Yes... comments by far more people who have never seen them play and aren't even in a position to really comment on their merits. They form their opinions from what you write about the players. Which always has and always will be slightly over the top, that's your belief and you genuinely believe what you write so I don't have a problem. But people take your well written posts as fact rather than opinion.

Yes... comments by far more people who have never seen them play and aren't even in a position to really comment on their merits. They form their opinions from what you write about the players. Which always has and always will be slightly over the top, that's your belief and you genuinely believe what you write so I don't have a problem. But people take your well written posts as fact rather than opinion.

There's was getting to be a fair turnout for youth matches by the end of last season. I imagine it will be the same for the inevitably youthful reserves team when their programme starts Monday and I know of several FoxesTalk people who regularly file individual views about such games, given the chance.

There's doubtless some truth in what you say, but it's becoming less so and I'm pleased about that because different perspectives are what debate is about. I just welcome the fact that more of the opinions are having some substance and are at least conveying some respect for and pride in those players instead of giving the impression that they hope some youngster falls flat on his face.

I think we need to just watch the youngsters develop, hopefully as many as possible in the lower leagues and then hope they are sharp enough to compete at the business end for us.

One thing that I am delighted about regarding Milans takeover is that we are now in a position where we don't need to throw the youngsters into the deep end and watch them drown. We also have better quality players who hopefully will pass on their knowledge to the younger lads in training which should also help their development. Equally as it important is that certain individuals don't over hype a player to the extent that when they do play for the first team and do just "aright" that it leaves many fans with negative thoughts thinking they should have performed better than they did.

I think we need to just watch the youngsters develop, hopefully as many as possible in the lower leagues and then hope they are sharp enough to compete at the business end for us.

One thing that I am delighted about regarding Milans takeover is that we are now in a position where we don't need to throw the youngsters into the deep end and watch them drown. We also have better quality players who hopefully will pass on their knowledge to the younger lads in training which should also help their development. Equally as it important is that certain individuals don't over hype a player to the extent that when they do play for the first team and do just "aright" that it leaves many fans with negative thoughts thinking they should have performed better than they did.

Fans should judge our youngsters fairly whatever I say. Besides I just call it as I see it and I'm not the only one. Yesterday all sorts of posters were saying Porter was a waste of space yet today folk are saying he's had a smashing game. And why wouldn't they if he did well?.

However I thoroughly agree with you about not having to throw youngsters in. That's not to make it an excuse for forgetting them but it is good reason to use them sensibly and sparingly, gradually increasing their exposure and responsibility. People identify me with hype but I have long advocated bringing youngsters in gradually off the bench.

And I think DavieG's idea of generally reserving the fifth bench space for one of our fringe youngsters is excellent.

It means the subs bench can have cover for the four main areas of the team and the fifth can be for experience and development.

This does not mean young players would not occupy any of the other subs places if they merited it. Simply that the fifth place would be reserved for the likes, right now, of, say, Odhiambo/McKay/Beswick/Sappleton.

Fans should judge our youngsters fairly whatever I say. Besides I just call it as I see it and I'm not the only one. Yesterday all sorts of posters were saying Porter was a waste of space yet today folk are saying he's had a smashing game. And why wouldn't they if he did well?.

However I thoroughly agree with you about not having to throw youngsters in. That's not to make it an excuse for forgetting them but it is good reason to use them sensibly and sparingly, gradually increasing their exposure and responsibility. People identify me with hype but I have long advocated bringing youngsters in gradually off the bench.

And I think DavieG's idea of generally reserving the fifth bench space for one of our fringe youngsters is excellent.

It means the subs bench can have cover for the four main areas of the team and the fifth can be for experience and development.

This does not mean young players would not occupy any of the other subs places if they merited it. Simply that the fifth place would be reserved for the likes, right now, of, say, Odhiambo/McKay/Beswick/Sappleton.

Its not just you who has a habit of over hyping a player and at times, it doesn't even have to be one of the kids.

An example is Kaebi. We have seen the odd clip on Youtube and the impressive stats of over 50 caps and listened to the rumours from a few who thinks he cost over £3m as we beat 4 Prem clubs for his signature. If this guy finally plays and has an average game a few muppets will jump on his back and call him a waste of money, just like some have done about DJ.

As for our kids, i`ll carry on advocating that the best thing form them is league experience in the lower leagues. Whilst many are begging for Logan to come back I am delighted that we sent him on loan so he can learn his trade and even more happy that Fulop has signed for the season. Whilst people want Gradel on the right-wing I would much rather wait for Kaebi to see how good he is before I put a kid in from the academy.

Its just funny to me that Derby can loan out an exciting young centre-half in Nyantanga who earned caps for Wales last season whilst on loan to Barnsley and played more experienced players to gain success but we think that blooding Weso, Levi, Stearman, Logan, Mattock amongst others isnt enough!

Its not just you who has a habit of over hyping a player and at times, it doesn't even have to be one of the kids.

An example is Kaebi. We have seen the odd clip on Youtube and the impressive stats of over 50 caps and listened to the rumours from a few who thinks he cost over £3m as we beat 4 Prem clubs for his signature. If this guy finally plays and has an average game a few muppets will jump on his back and call him a waste of money, just like some have done about DJ.

As for our kids, i`ll carry on advocating that the best thing form them is league experience in the lower leagues. Whilst many are begging for Logan to come back I am delighted that we sent him on loan so he can learn his trade and even more happy that Fulop has signed for the season. Whilst people want Gradel on the right-wing I would much rather wait for Kaebi to see how good he is before I put a kid in from the academy.

Its just funny to me that Derby can loan out an exciting young centre-half in Nyantanga who earned caps for Wales last season whilst on loan to Barnsley and played more experienced players to gain success but we think that blooding Weso, Levi, Stearman, Logan, Mattock amongst others isnt enough!

The posts have been moved in the Logan situation. I argued that he was our best goalkeeper BEFORE the arrival of Fulop and was damned sure of that.

Many seem to believe Fulop is an excellent goalkeeper and, while I'll wait to see that for myself, Logan's loan-out will make far more sense after Fulop's arrival than before.

Archived