Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

Watford away 1996 last day of the season

What a f'cking day that was.

Watford had to win if they had any chance of staying up. We needed Ipswich to drop points at home to Millwall (who had been top at Christmas), but the Lions needed a win to stay up.

What is now the home end was the away end in those days, there were hundreds of counterfiet tickets and there was standing room only in the seats and the aisles were rammed. Easily 8500 Leicester in the away end and another 500 dotted around the ground.

It was scorching, the road leading up to the now away end was ankle deep in beer cans and bottles, Leicester were everywhere.

Muzzy scored at our end and it blew up, 15 guys at the front of the rickety main stand let it be known they were Leicester and a charge came down from the back of the stand. Perhaps they couldn't see the masses of City in the stand next to them and they beat a hasty retreat when they saw what awaited them.

Final whistle muted celebrations until it came through Ipswich had drawn, they were out the play-offs we were in and Millwall were down, along with Watford. Sheer mayhem after the announcement.

Deafening wall of noise all afternoon and when Watford finally got back up they never let another Club have the Rookery.

What an awesome day that was going into the stands through allotments, my ticket was only a quid aswell (U16).

Scorching weather and when muzzy scored at our end the whole place erupted, Leicester fans were in good voice that day. Why cant we find another player like him lingering in a reserve team somewhere.

The next away game was even more memorable vs Stoke where Garry Parker lashed in a volley from an Izzet cross infront of the Leicester fans behind the goal. Cue Leicester winning and mass pitch invasion by Stoke and Police horses. Only bad thing was the stoke fans in the tier above us throwing bottles and all sorts down on us.

Then Wembley for the play off final and we all know what happened there. What I would give for a run like that this season.

It was a good time for goals scored right infront of the leicester end.

Am I right in thinking in about 1991 we beat watford at home to stay up? There was a pitch invasion which I as a 16 year old was part of.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well you got the colour right, yellow.

But the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Oxford United was the team we beat, who now sadly reside on the Blue Square Premier. A big team in the mid 80's winning the League Cup with the likes of john Aldridge and Ray Houghton in their ranks.

Went to this game, only 5. Went two weeks to mallorca straight after.

I can remember the blue and white ballons. The goal and being told not to sit in the disabled seats.

Happy days, the next 5 years could have been a lot diferent. If it wasnt for this game

Well you got the colour right, yellow.

But the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Oxford United was the team we beat, who now sadly reside on the Blue Square Premier. A big team in the mid 80's winning the League Cup with the likes of john Aldridge and Ray Houghton in their ranks.

that was the day i became a fox!!

Archived