Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DanTheFox07

De vries

I haven't read all through this thread, admittedly, but it strikes me as something of a joke. De Vries is back in favour because Allen clearly prefers playing with a big target man up front. Anyone at the game on Saturday will have seen he is still slow, lumbering, lacking a decent touch and poor at heading (for his height). Don't get me wrong, I jumped as high as anyone when he scored and would love him to get more goals for us. But he doesn't really have the skill or fitness (he was knackered after 70 mins!) to be in a promotion-chasing Championship side. Not that we are one of those at the moment, but if those are our aspirations then MdV should not be part of the plans.

The bloke just helped us beat the League leaders, a recent Premiership club, by a 4-1 which might easily have been 6-1 and you are suggesting he's not good enough to be "part of" a promotion-chasing championship side.

MDV is like most of our team, he will have good days and bad. But he showed at Hearts the level he is capable of and on Saturday - as in many games since Allen's arrival - proved he has strengths which enable him to make a valuable contribution.

He may stay first choice, he may end up a substitute but there's no doubting his value. We have sorely missed having an effective big man up front and MDV is far more use than Horsfield ever was (except against Coventry).

He does score, does have shots and does bring others into the game.

Look at the chances we've created since the start of the season. Even against Blackpool we could have had a hatful. Yes, if his form slumps, or anyone else's, they'll get criticised. But let's not slate folk for the odd mistake or the odd bad game. I've said this about Mattock, about Sheehan. I've not laboured Fryatt's bad showing in the Reserves and I'll say the same for DeVries.

Yes people will pick up on errors and shortcomings but let's put them in proportion and not use them as a stick to beat folk with forever.

We don't want people playing with fear because they might not be brilliant in the air, might look a bit clumsy or they might miss an easy chance.

On that basis Campbell wouldn't have been there to score his two goals so far and Weso would be long gone with a couple of headers he's missed.

If we're going to win things we need players to try things, to risk making mistakes. I was far more concerned when we've had players in the team like Hughes, Low, and Jarrett who rarely tried anything but simply concentrated on never looking bad.

Half the time MDV looks a bit iffy cos he's forever trying something and just has an awkward way of doing it.

wanted to add a late reply to this thread!!!

in 19 years supporting the city de vries's goal was the 1st time i have seen a player in tears after scoring.

the goal clearly meant everything to the guy and he deserved it. he worked his bollocks off and was kicked from pillar to post.

sure he is inconsistent and the rest has all been said before about him blah blah but that is the kind of passion that you all to rarely see. i'd have prefered him than elvis last season.

he clearly deserves to be in the team.

you could say fryatt should play instead but quite frankly if a player with fryatts ability isnt in the squad let alone the team he only has himself to blame. maybe its time for him to actually leave?

de vries maybe not the answer but he takes the flak allowing hume and campbell to look sharp and pacy (great tactic playing hume on the right!!!)

i suggest that just hume and campbell as a front two wouldve been easier for watford and the ball wouldve spent more time in our half if de vries hadnt have been playing.

good luck to him. a few more performances like that plus 10 a season allowing hume and campbell to take the glory and de vries will do for me.

bring on the forest!!!

Archived