Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

The answer to our managerial problem

Dave Penney.

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again.

Terrific job at Doncaster where he achieved 2 successive promotions from the Conference to League 1. Now at Darlington where he's transformed them in to promotion contenders.

However, he's never managed above League 1, although that was the case with Martin Allen. However, Penney differs to Allen as he's actually achieved promotion. ;)

O'Neill managed 2 successive promotions with Wycombe and Little came from Darlington. :whistle:

Managerial record:

Darlington:

Games - 41

Won - 18

Drawn - 10

Lost - 13

Doncaster:

Games - 247

Won - 118

Drawn - 63

Lost - 66

Does every single decent manager that Milan MIGHT hire get to have a thread? I'm just wondering whether I should be starting a few myself.

Go for it. If you can come up with a few that have not been mentioned and might be a good (realistic) option, I'm sure it will be worthwhile. :thumbup:

We`ve had our fair share of lower league managers in recent times and with the exception of MON, most have failed miserably. I know we are getting linked to some prehistoric warhorses like Reid and Graham but I think with MMs in place and the cash, we do need an experienced manager whose very presence may well tempt players to sign for us. Im not sure who that will be but I hope we steer clear of managers who are unproven at this level.

We`ve had our fair share of lower league managers in recent times and with the exception of MON, most have failed miserably. I know we are getting linked to some prehistoric warhorses like Reid and Graham but I think with MMs in place and the cash, we do need an experienced manager whose very presence may well tempt players to sign for us. Im not sure who that will be but I hope we steer clear of managers who are unproven at this level.

Surely the priority would be a manager who can win/play good football (as a bonus) rather than being able to attract "named" players.

Dave Penney.

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again.

Terrific job at Doncaster where he achieved 2 successive promotions from the Conference to League 1. Now at Darlington where he's transformed them in to promotion contenders.

However, he's never managed above League 1, although that was the case with Martin Allen. However, Penney differs to Allen as he's actually achieved promotion. ;)

O'Neill managed 2 successive promotions with Wycombe and Little came from Darlington. :whistle:

Managerial record:

Darlington:

Games - 41

Won - 18

Drawn - 10

Lost - 13

Doncaster:

Games - 247

Won - 118

Drawn - 63

Lost - 66

Sound's good :thumbup:

I'd have no objection to Dave Penney but it's probably a bit radical for most fans. Far too many seem to want experienced people who've supposedly proved themselves at Championship level rather to take a chance on an emerging manager.

Trouble with that idea is we'll only get the dregs - mostly people who've been sacked or who've also suffered a degree of failure.

I'd have no problem with us appointing a talented up-and-coming manager. Too many of the people mentioned so far as leading candidates are uninspiring, unimaginative and like tired old records in a footballing sense.

I'd have no objection to Dave Penney but it's probably a bit radical for most fans. Far too many seem to want experienced people who've supposedly proved themselves at Championship level rather to take a chance on an emerging manager.

Trouble with that idea is we'll only get the dregs - mostly people who've been sacked or who've also suffered a degree of failure.

I'd have no problem with us appointing a talented up-and-coming manager. Too many of the people mentioned so far are uninspiring, unimaginative and like tired old records in a footballing sense.

"The people mentioned so far" have all been mentioned by the media, not put forward by fans.

The bits I've highlighted in bold there are hugely insulting to our fanbase in my opinion and in fact reflect what Mandaric and the media have said, not the fans at all.

In fact I would suggest 95% of us were perfectly happy with the appointment and performance of Martin Allen who was no more experienced than Penney.

Leicester fans have always welcomed managers from the lower leagues with open arms after the experiences we had with Little and O'Neill. Unfortunately it didn't work out with Taylor but we have persevered with the likes of Adams and Allen and I hope Mandaric realises that this is the policy the fans appreciate, not appointing people who have managed in the Premiership without really achieving anything.

"The people mentioned so far" have all been mentioned by the media, not put forward by fans.

The bits I've highlighted in bold there are hugely insulting to our fanbase in my opinion and in fact reflect what Mandaric and the media have said, not the fans at all.

In fact I would suggest 95% of us were perfectly happy with the appointment and performance of Martin Allen who was no more experienced than Penney.

Leicester fans have always welcomed managers from the lower leagues with open arms after the experiences we had with Little and O'Neill. Unfortunately it didn't work out with Taylor but we have persevered with the likes of Adams and Allen and I hope Mandaric realises that this is the policy the fans appreciate, not appointing people who have managed in the Premiership without really achieving anything.

I'd love to believe you were right but seeing Dowie (1st) and Warnock (2nd) top a fans poll about who should be manager on Talking Balls I'm not immediately convinced.

I agree fans responded positively to the appointment of Allen but they've showed little appetite as I can sense, for any campaign to get him back. If that changes maybe I'll feel differently.

I'd love to believe you were right but seeing Dowie (1st) and Warnock (2nd) top a fans poll about who should be manager on Talking Balls I'm not immediately convinced.

I hadn't seen that. I think the problem there is that there is no one lower league candidate who has been mentioned in the media as a viable option so you won't get a majority of fans backing them in a poll.

I won't bother repeating my view of Warnock but I'd be fairly happy with Dowie given the possible alternatives.

If it's either Reid or Megson then I'll probably put my season ticket on eBay.

I hadn't seen that. I think the problem there is that there is no one lower league candidate who has been mentioned in the media as a viable option so you won't get a majority of fans backing them in a poll.

I won't bother repeating my view of Warnock but I'd be fairly happy with Dowie given the possible alternatives.

If it's either Reid or Megson then I'll probably put my season ticket on eBay.

Yep, People saying we will have to back who ever it is aswell. Can't we protest if its one of these clowns. I rather go watch Hinckley utd every saturday.

Surely the priority would be a manager who can win/play good football (as a bonus) rather than being able to attract "named" players.

If you haven't got the right players, you wont win football matches!

Of course the priority is results but we have seen with MA`s departure that we cant afford to have things off the pitch go tats up. We need to have someone in who can command the respect of the current squad but also someone who can bring in more players come January. I think most of us would admit that some of the more recent signings are questionable and we aren't sure that we have added the right players to fill problem positions as yet.

One thing is for certain though, whoever comes in will have a much better chance than any of our previous managers have had, as far back as MON.

Archived