Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Amateur music production

I always thought that came after Fruity? ^_^

i would have thought so....

reason is straightforward when you get used to it, but it is staggeringly fiddly, everything is so small and you have to keep adding tracks AND synthesizers...

but it is awesome and can get great sounds... (all this for example) reason (don't know about FL) is also purely midi based, tho you can sync it up to nuendo or cubase, so i find it is best to make your tracks in reason, bounce them to wav files and then mix/master/fiddle (great name for a dj!) in a decent audio sequencer.

logic is good, but i found it less user freindly than the steinberg stuff, but nicer than pro tools - mind you, i guesss if you use it often enough...

There is no point giving advice on Logic as you can not buy this for PC anymore. It's been Mac based for the past 2 releases (Logic 7 onwards i believe)

FL studio is fun to start with, have a mess about and see how you like it, while you are doing this i'd take a look into some simple signal processing, FX, sequencing, MIDI etc... (www.soundonsound.com) you'll find loads of usefull articles on that link.

If you are going more advanced and are running PC then i'd go for Cubase/Logic if you're a Mac user.

Pro Tools is for semi-pro and pro users/studio setups, multitrack recording and live audio, if you're just starting out i'd stay well clear for a bit + it's not designed to create electronic MIDI based music.

If anyone would like to know anything particular regarding production techniques, microphones, signal processing, FX, programmes, MIDI then let me know and i'll post up some explanations.

I personally hate Reason (as it doesn't deal with audio - which is shit!) and various other reasons (excuse the pun) why it drives me round the bend.

I use a mixture of Cubase SX3, Logic 7 and Pro Tools HD.

I'd also look into getting some plug ins, VSTs and a wave editor of some kind (Sound Forge, ReCycle, Audition etc...)

There is no point giving advice on Logic as you can not buy this for PC anymore. It's been Mac based for the past 2 releases (Logic 7 onwards i believe)

FL studio is fun to start with, have a mess about and see how you like it, while you are doing this i'd take a look into some simple signal processing, FX, sequencing, MIDI etc... (www.soundonsound.com) you'll find loads of usefull articles on that link.

If you are going more advanced and are running PC then i'd go for Cubase/Logic if you're a Mac user.

Pro Tools is for semi-pro and pro users/studio setups, multitrack recording and live audio, if you're just starting out i'd stay well clear for a bit + it's not designed to create electronic MIDI based music.

If anyone would like to know anything particular regarding production techniques, microphones, signal processing, FX, programmes, MIDI then let me know and i'll post up some explanations.

I personally hate Reason (as it doesn't deal with audio - which is shit!) and various other reasons (excuse the pun) why it drives me round the bend.

I use a mixture of Cubase SX3, Logic 7 and Pro Tools HD.

I'd also look into getting some plug ins, VSTs and a wave editor of some kind (Sound Forge, ReCycle, Audition etc...)

granted, but reason pisses all over cubase/logic etc... for arranging midi and manipulating midi sounds, you can easily mix down to 24bit audio and process/mix/master in your audio programme of choice (nuendo, cubase users, see the light!)

granted, but reason pisses all over cubase/logic etc... for arranging midi and manipulating midi sounds, you can easily mix down to 24bit audio and process/mix/master in your audio programme of choice (nuendo, cubase users, see the light!)

Are you taking the piss?

you clearly know nothing about what you are saying.

Firstly Logic, along with Pro Tools, is industry standard for a reason and will be found in 99% of professional recording studios due to its versatility (have you look into the Logic Environment?) and Cubase/Logic/Nuendo ARE a superior DAW in many ways.

As for mixing down in 24bit, that has sweet F A to do with the sequencer you are using and EVERYTHING to do with the interface (soundcard) and system you are running.

Also manipulating MIDI? The automation is Logic is second to non, Cubase automation is also top quality.

You can not sit there and tell me that Reason is better for arranging and MIDI because it's just not fact..........see the light? read the facts!

And finally, the fact you can't record into Reason (no I/O for audio) is just stupid in my eyes.

Cubase/Nuendo/Logic does everything Reason does, and much much more.

Reason is fine for sequending and internal production but saying it pisses on industry standard software is just stupid.

Are you taking the piss?

you clearly know nothing about what you are saying.

Firstly Logic, along with Pro Tools, is industry standard for a reason and will be found in 99% of professional recording studios due to its versatility (have you look into the Logic Environment?) and Cubase/Logic/Nuendo ARE a superior DAW in many ways.

As for mixing down in 24bit, that has sweet F A to do with the sequencer you are using and EVERYTHING to do with the interface (soundcard) and system you are running.

Also manipulating MIDI? The automation is Logic is second to non, Cubase automation is also top quality.

You can not sit there and tell me that Reason is better for arranging and MIDI because it's just not fact..........see the light? read the facts!

And finally, the fact you can't record into Reason (no I/O for audio) is just stupid in my eyes.

Cubase/Nuendo/Logic does everything Reason does, and much much more.

Reason is fine for sequending and internal production but saying it pisses on industry standard software is just stupid.

mate. i couldn't give a fu(k about industry standard, and don't tell me i don't know what i#m talking about, you only have to listen to my music (see earlier post) to know that i can achieve 'industry standard' results using reason and nuendo as i do...

you sound like the sort of boring geek that i had to study with who know the impedance of every cable and look down on any production that hasn't been done on a mac...

i thought you seemed like a nice bloke from your earlier post, but if you're gonna talk to me like that, with no trace of irony, then you can stick your 'logic environment' up your fu(king arse...

look at the thread title - 'amateur music production' - don't patronise me and tell me i don't know what i'm doing, go and read your **** manuals, learn some humility and come back when you can discuss music without some egotisctic posturing.

lol Funny you should mention that, I've completed something - of sorts. Given that it's a first attempt I don't think it's that bad. Will upload it at some point.

I was into Fez ko Zsolt when they were just Fez. :cool:

Before they got all commercial. :rolleyes:

Bono-wannabies. :angry:

I also think cubase has much nice midi control than reason. Reason's is probably a bit quicker to pick up but I don't think you can do as much with it.

Just my opinion, so don't have a hissyfit at me too ;)

heh, well that's exactly my point, its what you feel comfortable with that works best for you, not what somebody tells you is the best...

i personally will always use nuendo rather than cubase, even tho they are essentially the same thing...

never used nuendo, what exactly is the difference? I read cubase sx used the nuendo engine anyway?

dunno, ask koop ;)

but i guess they're much the same, i can and have used cubase, but i guess it's just what you get used to... nuendo does everything i need, there's loads of stuff i don't bother with, and as i said my laptop (or is it my 'version' of the software :whistle:) doesn't link properly with reason...

what can you do, eh?

mate. i couldn't give a fu(k about industry standard, and don't tell me i don't know what i#m talking about, you only have to listen to my music (see earlier post) to know that i can achieve 'industry standard' results using reason and nuendo as i do...

you sound like the sort of boring geek that i had to study with who know the impedance of every cable and look down on any production that hasn't been done on a mac...

i thought you seemed like a nice bloke from your earlier post, but if you're gonna talk to me like that, with no trace of irony, then you can stick your 'logic environment' up your fu(king arse...

look at the thread title - 'amateur music production' - don't patronise me and tell me i don't know what i'm doing, go and read your **** manuals, learn some humility and come back when you can discuss music without some egotisctic posturing.

Accepted.

Think I had a bad day man.

A few things in the above read worse than meant, long day, sorry about that!

Sorry man, not trying to patronise.

Never been a fan of Reason, because of the points above, but i understand why it's a viable option and how response sounds worse than intended.

Wasn't questioning your production, just ranting about software.

Accepted.

Think I had a bad day man.

A few things in the above read worse than meant, long day, sorry about that!

Sorry man, not trying to patronise.

Never been a fan of Reason, because of the points above, but i understand why it's a viable option and how response sounds worse than intended.

Wasn't questioning your production, just ranting about software.

:clap: fair play, i guess we both had a bad day, i flew off the handle, which was just silly of me...

Archived