Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shen

Frisk retirement

I for one am sad that Frisk is retiring. In my opinion he was one of the absolute best referees in the world and he was never afraid to take a gutsy decision on the pitch if he was convinced he was right. I will never forget the penalty he awarded to Ireland against Spain in the 2002 World Cup. Many of us had been crying out for shoving and pulling in the penalty box to be punished more severely, and when Hierro almost pulled of Duff's (?) shirt I was only too pleased to see Frisk blow his whistle. Finally someone had the guts to give a penalty for that offence. And in general he was a great referee making a very minimal amount of bad decisions and I feel he's been very unlucky with some of the matches he's refereed. For example the famous Roma game where he started bleeding from a coin thrown at his head. The most ridiculous part was probably that it was an absolutely correct decision to send Mexes off for a disgraceful tackle. Or the game between Werder Bremen and Valencia earlier this season where both sides completely lost it. And I genuinely feel that most if not all of the controversial decisions he's made were correct. Shame he's chosen to retire but completely understandable...

Jose Mourinho has to shoulder his responsibility in this as he showed no class in defeat and none in victory.

Where are FIFA and UEFA in all of this.

Maybe refs should start being biased against Chelski. :rolleyes:

Jose Mourinho has to shoulder his responsibility in this as he showed no class in defeat and none in victory.

78600[/snapback]

Support, not lip service for referees from the Governing bodies is vital in this. Then we might see a bit of consistency when players abuse match officials. When was the last time someone was severely punished for persistant abuse of a match official err Les Ferdinand / LCFC, not Chelsea, or Man U, or Arsenal.

Or have I forgotten some?

78600[/snapback]

I wouldn't blame Mourinho solely... he should apologise to Mourinho for what he said as it was grossly unprofessional. I even feel Frisk should take him to court for it.

FIFA and UEFA were much too lenient in this matter and should have done a lot more to support Frisk. Some of the executive board members responding to Mourinho in a just as unprofessional manner is just ridiculous...

its easy to see why fans/managers/players get wound up by refs; just look at neil barry on sunday exact same fouls only being awarded to one side. on frisk he loves publicity. death threats are never right (or coin throwing) but he's not the first its happened to.

Until referee's are prepared to stand up and explain their decisions, instead of hiding behind their governing bodies, they're going to come in for stick from fans, players, managers and the media, whether or not it's right or wrong.

Until referee's are prepared to stand up and explain their decisions, instead of hiding behind their governing bodies, they're going to come in for stick from fans, players, managers and the media, whether or not it's right or wrong.

78621[/snapback]

I believe this could be wiped out by giving refs a microphone a la American Football.

Besides, most referees accept the stick, but it's when it goes beyond that line eg. death threats and stupid people questioning top referees' integrity that it becomes unacceptable. The governing bodies should have backed Frisk up on some controversial but correct decisions in the past.

The thing is Shen, the governing bodies over here do back up their refs, regardless of the decisions made. On a radio interview, the head of the English refs association came out with a load of tosh regarding his members, and how hard done by they are, yet didn't accept that if his members told everyone after a game how they saw (or didn't see) a controversial decision, then it might go some way to preventing the harrassment.

RU ref's are fitted with mic's, and you can hear what they have to say about decisions; you might not agree, but at least you know why he's done it. Football ref's don't seem to want to do that. In fact, a lot of the domestic ref's seem to think they are infallible.

I can't condone some of the actions taken by people, it is bang out of order. But I can see why it happens.

The thing is Shen, the governing bodies over here do back up their refs, regardless of the decisions made.  On a radio interview, the head of the English refs association came out with a load of tosh regarding his members, and how hard done by they are, yet didn't accept that if his members told everyone after a game how they saw (or didn't see) a controversial decision, then it might go some way to preventing the harrassment.

RU ref's are fitted with mic's, and you can hear what they have to say about decisions; you might not agree, but at least you know why he's done it.  Football ref's don't seem to want to do that.  In fact, a lot of the domestic ref's seem to think they are infallible.

I can't condone some of the actions taken by people, it is bang out of order.  But I can see why it happens.

78632[/snapback]

Well I won't buy that that is the main reason for refs being abused. Clearly were talking sick fanatics who'd come up with death threats in the first place, but it's bad losers like Mourinho who amplify the effect by openly criticising fellow professionals integrity without any form of evidence. FIFA shouldn't have hesitated to slap a hefty fine and ban on Mourinho immediatly. Obviously its a moron at the head of the English referees union, but I can only speak about cases that are widely publicised around Europe, where FIFA/UEFA have a direct say...

The thing is Shen, the governing bodies over here do back up their refs, regardless of the decisions made.  On a radio interview, the head of the English refs association came out with a load of tosh regarding his members, and how hard done by they are, yet didn't accept that if his members told everyone after a game how they saw (or didn't see) a controversial decision, then it might go some way to preventing the harrassment.

RU ref's are fitted with mic's, and you can hear what they have to say about decisions; you might not agree, but at least you know why he's done it.  Football ref's don't seem to want to do that.  In fact, a lot of the domestic ref's seem to think they are infallible.

I can't condone some of the actions taken by people, it is bang out of order.  But I can see why it happens.

78632[/snapback]

Well I won't buy that that is the main reason for refs being abused. Clearly were talking sick fanatics who'd come up with death threats in the first place, but it's bad losers like Mourinho who amplify the effect by openly criticising fellow professionals integrity without any form of evidence. FIFA shouldn't have hesitated to slap a hefty fine and ban on Mourinho immediatly. Obviously its a moron at the head of the English referees union, but I can only speak about cases that are widely publicised around Europe, where FIFA/UEFA have a direct say...

78640[/snapback]

Bad losers is all part and parcel of the game. Fergie's been doing it for years, he's not alone either. I don't think fining or banning them will help, not in the least because newspapers and TV reporters are more than happy to allow these comments to be published, or broadcast, and we, the public, are prepared to read and listen.

78632[/snapback]

78640[/snapback]

Bad losers is all part and parcel of the game. Fergie's been doing it for years, he's not alone either. I don't think fining or banning them will help, not in the least because newspapers and TV reporters are more than happy to allow these comments to be published, or broadcast, and we, the public, are prepared to read and listen.

78645[/snapback]

It helps in the sense that they put the point accross that it isn't tolerable. Obviously the media (as ever) have their share of the blame too. I wouldn't mind them publishing the comments but at the same time provide a critical view on them.

78632[/snapback]

78640[/snapback]

78645[/snapback]

It helps in the sense that they put the point accross that it isn't tolerable. Obviously the media (as ever) have their share of the blame too. I wouldn't mind them publishing the comments but at the same time provide a critical view on them.

78651[/snapback]

Controversy sells more copies than intelligent opinion!

78632[/snapback]

One of the reasons why no microphone is used, is because English Football referees are incompetent. :huh:

There aren't 5 better referees out there better than Frisk... whether he was a poser or not doesn't matter. He was very good at spotting infringements and was even better at recognising play-acting IMO. But each to their own opinion I guess...

Archived