Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
C-man

Worst manager of last 15 years at leicester

Who was the worst  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst

• Brian Little
    • Mark Mcghee
    • Martin O'Neill
    • Peter Taylor
    • Garry Parker
    • Dave Bassett
    • Micky Adams
    • Craig Levein

i've just listed all the managers that have managed us in the last 15 years, who in your opinion is the worst? Mine would have to be Peter Taylor.

(Please tell me if ive missed any managers) :thumbup:

94150[/snapback]

Pleat without question!

94421[/snapback]

To be fair we played some decent football under Pleat at times. Anyone remember hammering Blackburn 4-0?

In descending order of crapulence...

1) Taylor

2) Levein

3) Pleat

4) Bassett

5) McGhee

6) Little

7) Adams

8) Mon

Worst LCFC manager of all time - Frank Mclintock

Best LCFC manager of all time - Matt Gillies

94563[/snapback]

The order of your 8 is debateble as I'm sure you would expect Chandler, but I have to agree whole heartedly with you best & worst, certainly from the sixties onwards.

How you can have Levein ahead of tools like Pleat and Bassett is beyond me.

Dave Bassett is the worst manager we have ever had, even worse than Peter Taylor. Taylor (oh how I hate him) didn't actaully take us down, it was Bassett and the board, they appointed him.

He was a footballing dinosaur and a cancer on our Club the minute he walked through the door. There was still enough talent and games left when he came in to save us. There were games towards the end of that season when we played really weel in the first half and then capitulated in the second because that cockney muppet has talked bollux for 15 minutes confusing everyone.

Did you see him in that ITV documentary with Sam Allardyce? His half time team talk was embarrassing no wonder we went down.

Dave Bassett by far and away the worst manager on that list.

1) Taylor

2) Levein

3) Pleat

4) Bassett

5) McGhee

6) Little

7) Adams

8) Mon

94563[/snapback]

The order of your 8 is debateble as I'm sure you would expect Chandler, but I have to agree whole heartedly with you best & worst, certainly from the sixties onwards.

94689[/snapback]

Aha! A true connoisseur!

1) Taylor

2) Levein

3) Pleat

4) Bassett

5) McGhee

6) Little

7) Adams

8) Mon

94563[/snapback]

I can't agree with the Best, Jimmy Bloomfield RIP for me

Dave Bassett is the worst manager we have ever had, even worse than Peter Taylor.  Taylor (oh how I hate him) didn't actaully take us down, it was Bassett and the board, they appointed him.

He was a footballing dinosaur and a cancer on our Club the minute he walked through the door.  There was still enough talent and games left when he came in to save us.  There were games towards the end of that season when we played really weel in the first half and then capitulated in the second because that cockney muppet has talked bollux for 15 minutes confusing everyone.

Did you see him in that ITV documentary with Sam Allardyce?  His half time team talk was embarrassing no wonder we went down.

94699[/snapback]

I shall never forget his response to Muzzy being sent off:

"What are we going to do"?, "What are we going to do", ? "What are we going to do", ? - It was like a scene from Dad's Army - fortunately MA's was able to take a grip of the situation?

1) Taylor

2) Levein

3) Pleat

4) Bassett

5) McGhee

6) Little

7) Adams

8) Mon

94563[/snapback]

94707[/snapback]

I agree but maybe a tie with O'Neill. Should have Bryan Hamilton near the bottom of the llist though.

Taylor may have crippled the club but there was at least some memorable results during his reign (first 6 months)

94180[/snapback]

Yea with MON's team and before his tinkering and bringing in the likes of Junior Lewis to strenghten Midfield :D:D.

The man blew the clubs crown jewels and we are still paying for his legacy now :mad:

Dave Bassett is the worst manager we have ever had, even worse than Peter Taylor.  Taylor (oh how I hate him) didn't actaully take us down, it was Bassett and the board, they appointed him.

He was a footballing dinosaur and a cancer on our Club the minute he walked through the door.  There was still enough talent and games left when he came in to save us.  There were games towards the end of that season when we played really weel in the first half and then capitulated in the second because that cockney muppet has talked bollux for 15 minutes confusing everyone.

Did you see him in that ITV documentary with Sam Allardyce?  His half time team talk was embarrassing no wonder we went down.

94699[/snapback]

Basset proved incapable of clearing up Taylors mess - things had gone too far and too many players wanted out.

But it was a mess largely of Taylor's own making. He was the one who threw away money on sub standard players, turned us into an ultra cautious side and who pissed off everyone around the club.

And the board also appointed MON. According to your argument they can take the credit for his achievements.

1) Taylor

2) Levein

3) Pleat

4) Bassett

5) McGhee

6) Little

7) Adams

8) Mon

94563[/snapback]

94707[/snapback]

I agree but maybe a tie with O'Neill. Should have Bryan Hamilton near the bottom of the llist though.

94731[/snapback]

Bloomfield built the most attractive side we ever had but it had little success in the league or cups. An Okish 7th was the best he could achieve. Bloomfield was too lax on discipline. He allowed Wortho to get away with murder and he destabilised the team. As a result other brilliant players like Weller (better than Wortho in my opinion) and Shilton got well and truly hacked off.

Gillies took us to two FA Cup Finals and two League Cup finals one of which we won. We also finished fourth in 1963 - our best post war finish. In fact we were top that year well into April. But we lost form after the FA Cup semis as players saved themselves for the FA Cup final.

Couldn't imagine that happening now could you?

It took me a long time to get over pleat and no i cant remember a 4-1 win but can remember a lot of sh*t footy

94826[/snapback]

and crowds of 10k. That might be us in a couple of seasons time again. If we're not careful.

I'm no fan of Pleat but our slide started when we appointed Hamilton and moved Milne upstairs. Hamilton took a side that was doing reasonably well in the old div 1, got us relegated and provided the basis of Pleat's terrible tenure.

The shit crowds during that time tell us a lot about the loyalty of our support. When Man City went down to div 2 they were still getting great crowds.

Well like Chandler I am a bit surprised that Adams is 2nd in this poll... Surely he was never as bad as Bassett?! Adams may have left us with a squad in tatters, but he got us promoted and did a decent job here. And to see 34 people on here think he was worse than Peter Taylor is just shocking!

Well like Chandler I am a bit surprised that Adams is 2nd in this poll... Surely he was never as bad as Bassett?! Adams may have left us with a squad in tatters, but he got us promoted and did a decent job here. And to see 34 people on here think he was worse than Peter Taylor is just shocking!

95189[/snapback]

Could not agree more with you Shen.

At the time Micky came in, we were virtually relegated and in administration. Next season with a loan embargo, we got promoted. People have put out a list of excuses ranging from "mercenaries playing for their deferred payment" to "we had a squad of premiership players". In truth, everyone played their part. Micky did a tremendous job, especially when you consider the quality of teams and players that have been relegated and stayed down (West Ham, Leeds, etc). In fact, in recent seasons, I can only think of Bolton, West Brom and City who have got promoted at the first attempt after having been relegated.

At the time of Micky's appointment, we needed somebody to steady the ship (from an adminstration point of view rather than footballing). He did that, signing players on cheap short term deals, whilst helping to secure the extra funding from promotion to the premiership. Micky did his job.

It now seems we have a sound financial base once again. We may not be able to go and spend fortunes, but at least we are re-building our club from a secure financial position. (Admittedly, I am only looking from the outside as not being a shareholder, I do no have the chance to look through the accounts). Unfortunately, I do not believe Micky is the type of manager to build a club from the sort of position Leicester are currently in. At the higher level, his tactics were hopelessly exposed, and he is not the sort of manager who is able to build a side that continually progresses over a few years. This is why I do not believe Micky will ever stay with a club beyond three seasons. He will take them out of a bad situation, but will not be able to progress further than the rescue. In that respect, I think Coventry made a wise appointment to rescue them.

In saying this I hope Levein is the man to build a side for the future, now that we have this firmer financial base. He appears to say the right things, so let us hope he is true to his word.

Either way, I think people are being extremely disrespectful to Micky in how they remember him. He was the right man at the right time.

94699[/snapback]

Basset proved incapable of clearing up Taylors mess - things had gone too far and too many players wanted out.

But it was a mess largely of Taylor's own making. He was the one who threw away money on sub standard players, turned us into an ultra cautious side and who pissed off everyone around the club.

And the board also appointed MON. According to your argument they can take the credit for his achievements.

94767[/snapback]

He was incapable of clearing up a right mess and i think the reason for that is the players went from one manager they had no respect for to one they had even less respect for. You can imagine their thoughts when they heard he was being employed.

That was the boards fault for plumbing for the Cockney tool, but I still maintain there was enough about the Club to stay up had anyone other than Bassett been employed.

We are still suffering the effects of his legacy today.

Adams shouldn't have that many votes, particularly when you consider Bassett's name is on the list. However, I can understand somewhat why so many have voted for Adams. The simple fact is that despite his many good qualities as a manager he lost it towards the latter part of his reign here. He also made many tactical errors through his tenure. Added to this was his mediocre dealings in the transfer market.

Anyone that voted for Levein is having a laugh - he's taken over an unmotivated, struggling team of predominantly has beens. In the short time he's been in charge, we've started to play football again and he's brought in some very exciting young prospects. Added to this, he's been nothing but up front with the fans, who should realise (because it's been spelt out by Levein on a number of occassions) he is buillding a strong solid team for the future. No more quick fixes -they don't work.

Just to add, it was MON that recommended Levein to the club.

Adams shouldn't have that many votes, particularly when you consider Bassett's name is on the list. However, I can understand somewhat why so many have voted for Adams. The simple fact is that despite his many good qualities as a manager he lost it towards the latter part of his reign here. He also made many tactical errors through his tenure. Added to this was his mediocre dealings in the transfer market.

Anyone that voted for Levein is having a laugh - he's taken over an unmotivated, struggling team of predominantly has beens. In the short time he's been in charge, we've started to play football again and he's brought in some very exciting young prospects. Added to this, he's been nothing but up front with the fans, who should realise (because it's been spelt out by Levein on a number of occassions) he is buillding a strong solid team for the future. No more quick fixes  -they don't work.

95214[/snapback]

You've just pointed out why he shouldn't be voted the worst manager. 1) you point out a worse alternative, 2) I'll struggle to name any good managerial qualities Bassett or Taylor had, 3) With no cash, Adams could hardly get stars to Leicester, although he made a fantastic signing in Ferdinand. I won't even start with Taylor's signings <_<

People naming him the worst should slap themselves a few times and revise their error of judgement. I dare anyone to stand up and admit they voted Adams and explain their reason for him being worse than Bassett and/or Taylor!

Anyone that voted for Levein is having a laugh - he's taken over an unmotivated, struggling team of predominantly has beens. In the short time he's been in charge, we've started to play football again and he's brought in some very exciting young prospects. Added to this, he's been nothing but up front with the fans, who should realise (because it's been spelt out by Levein on a number of occassions) he is buillding a strong solid team for the future. No more quick fixes  -they don't work.

95214[/snapback]

You've just pointed out why he shouldn't be voted the worst manager. 1) you point out a worse alternative, 2) I'll struggle to name any good managerial qualities Bassett or Taylor had, 3) With no cash, Adams could hardly get stars to Leicester, although he made a fantastic signing in Ferdinand. I won't even start with Taylor's signings <_<

People naming him the worst should slap themselves a few times and revise their error of judgement. I dare anyone to stand up and admit they voted Adams and explain their reason for him being worse than Bassett and/or Taylor!

95222[/snapback]

My point was that Adams wasn't the worst on that list by far. Personally, I would rate him alongside Little and above Taylor (obviously), Bassett, Parker (shouldn't be on the list though), Pleat and McGhee.

However, Adams did have many flaws, as I pointed out above. Plus he did have money last pre-season and the one before that. There was also the issue of the get out clauses when a number of players signed. I read that at least Scimecca didn't know about this until the end of last season. Don't know if adams did but he surely must have and that was another serious mistake.

Adams is no way the worst manager, I don't think he is in the Little calibre but he was better than Bassett and Taylor.

Trouble is for me though, and this is where it will always hit Micky, is that Bassett and him were ltogether throughout his tenure at the Club. Had he done what CL did upon his arrival and got shot of the clown then he might not be held in such contempt by me and others.

BTW, it's no coincednce that Millwall have fallen away so badly since Bassett was installed as a coach, even if it is only 2 days a week plus matchdays.

Adams is no way the worst manager, I don't think he is in the Little calibre but he was better than Bassett and Taylor.

Trouble is for me though, and this is where it will always hit Micky, is that Bassett and him were ltogether throughout his tenure at the Club.  Had he done what CL did upon his arrival and got shot of the clown then he might not be held in such contempt by me and others.

BTW, it's no coincednce that Millwall have fallen away so badly since Bassett was installed as a coach, even if it is only 2 days a week plus matchdays.

95233[/snapback]

lol Poor old Millwall.

I think Adams possibly had the potential to be better that Little. Having said that I was never a great fan of Little - didn't like the football he had the team playing, although he did give us marginal some success.

A problem with the list is that most of the managers we've had in the past 20/30 years haven't been that good, with the obvious exception of O'Neill and hopefully Levein.

• 3 months later...

Archived