Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

FOXES IN BOTH BOXES

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Late...1547274,00.html

Posted on: Fri 06 Feb 2009

FOXES IN BOTH BOXES

Leicester City's domination of Coca-Cola League 1 continued on Tuesday evening at Walsall, where a 4-1 victory kept them 10 points clear at the top of the table and with striker Matty Fryatt again hogging the headlines as he hit his 25th goal of the season.

No team in the division can boast a better strike rate than the Foxes, who have scored 58 goals in 29 League games. But it's not only goal power that is keeping Nigel Pearson's team on course for a rapid return to the Championship following last season's relegation.

With just 23 goals conceded they have easily the best defensive record in the division, and with 12 clean sheets in the League plus five more in Cup competitions it was perhaps not surprising that manager Pearson begrudged Walsall their single goal on Tuesday.

"It was a shame we didn't keep a clean sheet," said Pearson, though he added: "when I say I'm disappointed (not to keep a clean sheet) I'm not just talking about the defenders, I'm talking about the team as a whole and overall I was pleased with the performance.

"It was a very good all-round team display and a comprehensive victory. Sometimes when we've played very well we've not won games, so it was nice for the fans to go away happy because they'd seen us play well and get the win as well."

Having to date lost only two league games - fewer than any team in the entire Football League - the Foxes have built a position at the top of the table that looks impregnable as they head towards the final third of the campaign.

Standing 14 points clear of the Play-Off places, they look near-certainties for automatic promotion. But as they prepare to face sixth in the table Oldham Athletic on Saturday, Pearson refuses to listen to that kind of talk.

The manager is well aware that, in such a position of strength, it's easy - mentally if not physically - to let standards slip. "I hope that won't happen," he said, and that's one of the challenges we'll be facing.

"We have to make sure that we maintain or even improve the standards we've set so far. It's not just about having decent players, it's about application, the willingness to work and to match whoever you come up against.

"We've got some talented players doing very well for us at the moment, but there's still a long way to go so you won't hear us getting carried away - the next game is always an opportunity for somebody to get a big scalp and we've got to be aware of that."

You have to love the way he keeps his and the players feet firmly on the ground.

I am not sure if people are aware...there is an extended interview with Nigel Pearson on East Midlands News tonight which, starts at 6:30 BBC1 :thumbup:

Yeah love the way he's not getting carried away. God knows how he's gonna keep his feet on the ground when we get promoted (and then win the title)

Apparently Andy King has done an interview saying 'we are far too strong for anyone in this league'. Wonder what NP thinks of this and whether this will bite back at him.

Yes Nigel is such a calm character and if youv'e had a look at the Fryatt interview on LCFC World today you'll see the point proven where Nigel keeps the players feet firmly on the ground, absolutely loving every minute of this season!

I think we'll see the more "celebratory" side of Pearson when everything's wrapped up.

It's been creeping into his manner a bit more recently.

You can see the excitement building up already. Like a bubble gearing up for a huge explosion!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Late...1547274,00.html

Posted on: Fri 06 Feb 2009

FOXES IN BOTH BOXES

Leicester City's domination of Coca-Cola League 1 continued on Tuesday evening at Walsall, where a 4-1 victory kept them 10 points clear at the top of the table and with striker Matty Fryatt again hogging the headlines as he hit his 25th goal of the season.

No team in the division can boast a better strike rate than the Foxes, who have scored 58 goals in 29 League games. But it's not only goal power that is keeping Nigel Pearson's team on course for a rapid return to the Championship following last season's relegation.

With just 23 goals conceded they have easily the best defensive record in the division, and with 12 clean sheets in the League plus five more in Cup competitions it was perhaps not surprising that manager Pearson begrudged Walsall their single goal on Tuesday.

"It was a shame we didn't keep a clean sheet," said Pearson, though he added: "when I say I'm disappointed (not to keep a clean sheet) I'm not just talking about the defenders, I'm talking about the team as a whole and overall I was pleased with the performance.

"It was a very good all-round team display and a comprehensive victory. Sometimes when we've played very well we've not won games, so it was nice for the fans to go away happy because they'd seen us play well and get the win as well."

Having to date lost only two league games - fewer than any team in the entire Football League - the Foxes have built a position at the top of the table that looks impregnable as they head towards the final third of the campaign.

Standing 14 points clear of the Play-Off places, they look near-certainties for automatic promotion. But as they prepare to face sixth in the table Oldham Athletic on Saturday, Pearson refuses to listen to that kind of talk.

The manager is well aware that, in such a position of strength, it's easy - mentally if not physically - to let standards slip. "I hope that won't happen," he said, and that's one of the challenges we'll be facing.

"We have to make sure that we maintain or even improve the standards we've set so far. It's not just about having decent players, it's about application, the willingness to work and to match whoever you come up against.

"We've got some talented players doing very well for us at the moment, but there's still a long way to go so you won't hear us getting carried away - the next game is always an opportunity for somebody to get a big scalp and we've got to be aware of that."

Ruddy useless defence! :@

Archived