Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Joe's Mix

OK here it is. I guarantee that some of you will hate it, I understand that. However, I'd like to think it's completely different to my previous mixes, and that my own music tastes have developed considerably over the last year or so. Anyway, enjoy.

DOWNLOAD HERE

1. Freeland - Under Control ?/10

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) ?/10

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) ?/10

4. Phoenix - 1901 ?/10

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning ?/10

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out ?/10

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids ?/10

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This ?/10

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) ?/10

10. Dan Black - Alone ?/10

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue ?/10

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too ?/10

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets ?/10

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 ?/10

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty ?/10

Please stick to the track listing, I've put a lot of thought into it. ^_^ Enjoy (:unsure:lol)

1. Freeland - Under Control 6/10

Not a big fan of this. Liked the robot voice though. :P

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) 5/10

Disappointing as I like what I've heard of him. Nothing offensive, just bored me.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) 4/10

No thank you.

4. Phoenix - 1901 7/10

Nice intro. Quite like this. :)

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning 8/10

Liking the guitar. For some ridiculous reason I can't enjoy people singing in a Scot accent. Good song though, awesome when it kicked it.

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out 7 /10

Decent.

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids 7/10

Hehe. Quite enjoyed it.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This 8/10

Nice vocals. Really liked this track. Nice bright chords.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) 7/10

Don't like this sort of thing, but this was alright. Nice voice.

10. Dan Black - Alone 6/10

Meh. Okay, didnt do it for me.

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue 6/10

Same with this.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too 4/10

Not really for me.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets 7/10

Quite liked this. :) Nice song.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 6/10

Not what I expected. Thought it would have more of an "indie" vibe. Not bad.

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty 7/10

As soon as I saw the length and genre of this, I did not expect to listen to it all. But I frigging did it. It wasn't at all terrible. Quite liked it after a while.

:thumbup:

1. Freeland - Under Control

Not sure why, but found this a bit bland. 5/10

2. Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer

Not really doing anything for me, don't feel this song has any real personality and again it's a bit boring. 4/10

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue)

Not my sort of thing, but was a bit catchy. Wegue Wegueeee. 5/10

4. Phoenix - 1901

A bit better. 6/10

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning

Enjoyed this quite a bit more, more lively and more my sort of thing. 7/10

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out

Definately worth a listen, found myself getting into that. 7/10

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked The Kids

Got some disapproving looks for the language in this from my mum who just came in lol, but I liked this song a lot. 7/10

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This

Not really my sort of thing, but could have been worse. Thought the vocals were quite decent. 6/10

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix)

Not bad 6/10

10. Dan Black - Alone

This was a lot better, enjoyed it, nice vocals, nice catchy tune and would listen to this again. 8/10

11. Mike Snow - Black & Blue

Really liked this as well, very nice to listen to 8/10

12. Metronomy - The End Of You Too

Absolutely brilliant, really love the tune. 9/10

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets

I liked it, although there was nothing really special about it 6/10

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517

Decent 7/10

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty

Was alright, but 7 odd minutes was a bit much for me.

Liking the guitar. For some ridiculous reason I can't enjoy people singing in a Scot accent. Good song though, awesome when it kicked it.

I used to think that too, but I reckon I could name at least five or six Scottish bands that I genuinely like these days.

1. Freeland - Under Control

Someone's been listening to some LCD Soundsystem records! :D It's the eternal dilemma - do I like it because it sounds like one of my favourite bands or do I hate it because it's ripping off one of my favourite bands? I'm not saying James Murphy is some sort of uber-revolutionary when it comes to music but I've always considered LCD to have a fairly distinctive sound despite their obvious 80s influences.

Anyway, prejudices aside I did enjoy this a lot. Definitely the sort of thing I am listening to at the moment.

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub)

As is this actually. I can see why people would dislike it, which is a problem I'm going to have to address with my mix, but I like it. Would be better without the irritating sporadic Chemical Brothers-esque vocals - often think those sort of thing are a real afterthought with no good reason.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue)

"I blame M.I.A. for this. There's only enough room in the world for a certain number of female Indian electro/breakbeat artists" - there you go, at least if you hate it then you've got something vaguely constructive to put about it now. Personally, I think it's pretty good. At least it's got a bit of life to it and a variation of tempo and some ideas.

4. Phoenix - 1901

I find Phoenix interesting. They're very much on the pop side of dance/rock music, but that's not automatically a bad thing. That said, I'm not falling in love with this or anything. I think they've done better - obviously If I Feel Better but also Lizstomania which is the track before this one on the album.

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning

Building nicely so far. This is cracking. Although it would be obvious, I'd love this to explode soon. Triangle's come in... It better not pootle along at this pace for the whole song. Let's have some drums, let's make an event of it. Argh everything's died down. They're teasing me. Let's have it. Bang, bit of life. Bang, bit more life. Come on, let's go! Let's go! Here we go, here we go, here we go.................. and... oh yes, I like this a lot. I bet these are good live. I know it's all a little bit predictable but ****s sake, who cares? This is great.

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out

HOTS were fantastic, and this was probably my favourite song of theirs. Haven't listened to it in ages. Superb.

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids

Enjoyed it. Wouldn't normally listen to that sort of thing but I liked that a lot.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This

I can't remember how my love affair with Bombay Bicycle Club began but I've seen them a couple of times, the first time about 2 and a half years ago supporting Foals. I just think they have a special talent for songwriting. This isn't the best thing they've done but you can tell they're trying to write that kind of song that's going to give them the little bit of real exposure they need. I don't read NME or follow charts or anything so maybe they've had some success but I'd imagine it's all going to be down to the album released next month. Fingers crossed. Have seen the tracklisting and got all the songs on it, can't believe that Sixteen isn't on there. They're better than your average indie band, in my humble opinion.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix)

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been listening to lately, but not heard this before. Brilliant. It's all about energy combined with atmosphere. Love the bassline.

10. Dan Black - Alone

Hmm, bit of an irritating voice. Might grow on me in time.

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue

Never heard of them/him. Brilliant. This is absolutely fantastic. Love everything about this although it'd be half the song without the percussion.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too

Loved this album when it came out and listened to it endlessly. This was one of my favourite songs too. Listening to it back now, it seems a tiny bit on the long side, which is crazy for a track under 4 minutes in length. Think there's something Russian-sounding about it.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets

Yeah, pretty good. They've had a lot of hype. Will have to listen to it properly.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517

One of my favourite albums so far this year. Not one of the better tracks again in my very humble opinion but they are great.

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty

Classic. This sort of Justice-esque sound is what I'll remember from this period of my life music-wise. First heard this in a club in Sheffield and it blew me away.

----

Got to say Joe, your taste in music is a lot closer to mine now than it was when you first did one of these. I enjoyed pretty much every song on this one and picked up a couple of very interesting new songs to find out more about.

Superb.

Great stuff! Haha. I was hoping a few people would pick up on Miike Snow actually. Relatively unheard of up to now, but their album is actually one of the best I've heard recently without a shadow of a doubt. I'd seriously recommend getting hold of some more tracks off of it if possible.

1. Freeland - Under Control 4/10

Not keen, and sounds like something an electro girl I know would listen to. :P

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) 3/10

Rubbish

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) 1/10

Diabolical

4. Phoenix - 1901 6/10

Much better, listenable and not a typical indie sound I come to expect on these mixes. :P

Very good, like a mix of frightened rabbit and the twilight sad here. :)

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out 4/10

Very average, weak chorus sang too often :/

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked The Kids 5/10

Not bad, better than the songs I'd previously heard and wasn't impressed by.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This 6/10

I know I've heard that before, but where.. cause I wouldn't normally listen that, one of the better songs so far anyway.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) 3/10

Not for me that.

10. Dan Black - Alone 2/10

Really really bland.

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue 4/10

Don't like this, there are a few nice instrumental parts though when he's not singing.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too 6/10

Eh that was alright.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets 4/10

Not for me just find it hard to enjoy that kind of thing, but I can see why they have received hype. :P

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 4/10

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty 5/10

Boo more electro rubbish.

Actually it was alright.

1. Freeland - Under Control 7/10

This was quite catchy. A good way to open the mix.

2. Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer 6/10

Quite a fun disco-type track. Nothing else to say about it really.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba 2/10

Just didn't appeal to me at all I'm afraid. Very disappointing.

4. Phoenix - 1901 7/10

Maybe redeeming yourself a little! A good song here, one I'll be keeping fo sho'.

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's thunder and It's Lightning 9/10

I love this one. Another one I'll be adding to my collection. Cracking find.

6. Hope of the States - Sing It Out 6/10

It's alright, and there's nothing wrong with it. A toe tapper.

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked the Kids 6/10

It's alright, a fun little song.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This 3/10

I don't know why but this did nothing for me. One of those you need to be in the mood for I guess.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit 1/10

I must be a horrible reviewer, but this is the worst piece of music I think I've ever heard.

10. Dan Black - Alone 7/10

Reminded me vocally of Robbie Williams for some reason. This is a great song.

11. Miike Snow - Black and Blue 8/10

A catchy, funky song. Got me dancing round the room (metaphorically).

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too 6/10

Funky stuff again. It's a grower.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets 7/10

It's good stuff. Definatley a keeper.

14. The Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 8/10

I love his voice. An all round good tune. Good find.

15. 80Kids - Life Begins at Eighty 8/10

Massive tune to finish off the mix. Brilliant.

Overall Rating - 6.5/10

Joe's mix was very middle of the road, I either loved songs or hated them. Definatley a few keepers again though Joe.

Thanks a lot.

1. Freeland - Under Control 8/10

Not a massive fan of singers with American accents but this is quite acceptable, when it 'kicks in' it's really good.

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) 7/10

Funkeh!

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) 8/10

I like this, majorly catchy. One for the car I think.

4. Phoenix - 1901 6/10

Aye, tis alright. Not anything outstanding but a good listen

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning 2/10

I'll give them 2 for turning up but sorry Joe I absolutely hate this.

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out 8/10

Yep, like this a lot.

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids 7/10

Someone's been on the Billy Bragg pills! Not mega fond of acoustic guitar based 'society has gone to the dogs' messages rammed down my throat but this was ok.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This 8/10

After you get used to his distinctive voice it's a really good little tune. May have to listen to some more of their stuff I think.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) 8/10

Quite pleasant, could get annoying the way it goes in and out but I quite like it.

10. Dan Black - Alone 7/10

I like this, sounds very familiar but then I say that about everything

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue 7/10

Quite like this too, easy to listen to.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too 8/10

Sounds a lot like the stuff they used to play in the Phoenix in the early '90's and for that reason I like it.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets 6/10

Got a little annoying at the end but it's alright.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 8/10

Yep, like this a fair bit. The singer sounds a bit like the Cut Copy bloke as well.

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty 7/10

It sounds like they've got into a fight with Daft Punk and ever so slightly came out on top. Not mega impressed but it's alright for the money.

Joe, I must say your musical taste is impressive, some good tunes here. I enjoyed this very much, cheers love.

Archived