Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Joe's Mix

1. Freeland - Under Control

Yeah, good start! The voice reminds me a bit of Michael Hutchence and the music reminds me a bit of Psycore strangely enough… The rough sounding electronica sounds great.

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub)

Lovely, I can’t sit still. I’ve been longing for a bit of new (to me) French techno for ages now. You can clearly hear the Daft Punk and Air influence in this.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue)

On a roll here, addictive beat. There’s something about the Portuguese language that’s sexy! I like it, very different from anything I normally listen to. The only thing that comes remotely close is Afro Celt SS :P

4. Phoenix – 1901

Good linking of songs here. The breaks are great, and the rest is ok. Think this is a song that works great in this mix, but falls a bit flat on its own.

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning

Alright, on to something else. I’m not sure what to think of it. On one hand I find it very interesting and there are many interesting sounds as well as annoying ones. His voice is ok in some parts, below average in others. The jury’s still out on this…

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out

Yeah, decent song. Lacks a bit, but nothing wrong with it as such

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked The Kids

Hehe, I won’t go into the message of this song, but musically it’s a very enjoyable ballad.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This

The voice doesn’t quite do it for me, but the song itself is good. One of the more interesting indie songs I’ve heard.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix)

I immediately thought *eurgh* when I saw Lykke Li on here… Can’t stand her. Even though the remix wasn’t very good, it still helped a bit. It made it listenable, but no more than that…

10. Dan Black - Alone

I didn’t get into this like some of the previous songs.

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue

And we’re back! I like this, could’ve easily gone on for a bit more in my opinion. Tune.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too

Then again… This left me quite cold. I’ve nothing against weird music, but the sounds weren’t appealing to me in any way.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets

Oh the 80s… It was decent on first listen, but I know this is one of those songs I’ll start to dislike once I’ve heard it more than a few times.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517

Whoah, is this Daft Punk? Yeah, I know this…wait.. the opening ‘riff’ is basically ripped off “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”! I had to restart this a few times as I just started humming Daft Punk instead :P Rather enjoyable, but the sound is a bit passé now…

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty

Great way to end this mix! This definitely isn’t the last time I’ll be listening to this. Really fantastic through my headphones too.

-------------------------------------

I didn’t expect this mix of you, to be honest. I thought there’d be a lot more indie in here, but you really put together a strong mix here. At least a handful of excellent tunes in there. Loved it, thanks!

1. Freeland - Under Control ?/10

I have an excellent mix cd back to mine by Adam Freeland that has some great tunes on it, while I quite like this song it's to much like LCD Soundsystem as others have said but not as good.

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) ?/10

ok Nothing that jumps out at me but a pretty listenable tune.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) ?/10

Now when this gets going surely it's just a blatant rip off of Leftfields Afro Left from their debut album

I think the Leftfield ones far better myself!!

4. Phoenix - 1901 ?/10

It was ok left me a bit cold though to be fair

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning ?/10

really like this one

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out ?/10

passed me by a bit to be fair

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked The Kids ?/10

I love Frank Turner got pretty much most of his work even when he was in his hardcore punk mode in the band Million Dead just love the storytelling nature of his songs

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This ?/10

Have seen this video on MTV2 and think it's a really good song

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) ?/10

not for me

10. Dan Black - Alone ?/10

nor this one

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue ?/10

I think I like this song.... then change my mind.... so not sure

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too ?/10

Some of the tracks on Metronmonys album mostly the vocal ones are brilliant and others leave me a bid cold this one makes me think of Nintendo games from about 1990

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets ?/10

I love Passion Pit

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 ?/10

I really like both Whitest Boy albums

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty ?/10

bores me a bit...

In conclusion I will be looking further into we were promised jetpacks and need the Bombay Bicycle club album

Under Control

This has happened to me a couple of times so far on these mixes - I've been really enjoying something and then the vocals kicked in and I've felt a little bit alienated. I can't really put my finger on what or why but the second he started singing it was just another scene artist trying to be a bit pretentious. And I know that's not at all what's going on but it's all I hear. When it kicked off about halfway through I did get a lot more into it but despite being a lot more appreciative of electronic music than my own mixes suggest I just couldn't shake the feeling that this "just wasn't my thing." A solid six but no more.

Kilometer

Infinitely cooler. Was pretty much convinced before the bass got funky and was sold as soon it did. I'd agree with Fez' point on the occasionally thrown in vocals, though. It's the way with all art really - the mark of a quality artist (in music and elsewhere) isn't what you put in at all it's what you have the control and the confidence to leave out. Great stuff, though, will find it's way into my library when I finally stop being lazy and sort out the mess of mixtape folders currently cluttering my laptop desktop. 8.

Kalemba

I was enjoying this, kind of nodding my head and then someone sent me a message on MSN saying "say no to ninjas riding pegasuses" and I got completely distracted and forgot it was on. It hadn't really changed much or done anything by the time I zoned back in. I gave it another listen out of fairness sakes and it seemed a little bit bland for what it was. Like I said, I did enjoy it I just wasn't that wow'd. 7. Also, lol, as Nussl said: "Wegue wegue!"

I went into this assuming you'd have put a mix together of bland indie pop that Smuts would cream over so I must admit the first few tracks had lured me into a false sense of security and then... wham. Cruel. I was talking to Fez about this on MSN and we were bemoaning the phrase "not my thing" but when it comes to indie it really is applicable for me. There's just very little in the genre I find interesting - I respect that this has tried something a little bit different and a bit fresh but it's still the same formula under the shiny wrapper. Sorry. 5.

It's Thunder &...

I do love a good celtic accent. =P. I'd probably not have given this much time before rudely skipping it and pretending I'd listened to it if not for his voice, haha. I think I went through largely the same emotions Fez did listening to this. A bit "wait for it... wait for it... oh come on it MUST be coming... of course it's coming..." Better than Phoenix but while it entertained me I probably won't revisit it. 7.

Sing It Out

For just the first few seconds it was almost going to be the Sisters of Mercy. And then. Mh. Just a little bit boring for me, really. Enjoyed the last couple of choruses and find myself nodding along a little by then but I don't think I could sit through a gig of this.

Thatcher fooked The Kids

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: twelve out of ten! I laughed. Have you listened much to Million Dead?

Always Like This

Everyone. Everyone from Crouch End is a willy puller. Besides that, the song did little for me. I got a little bit distracted again.

Little Bit

I was very grateful to hear the opening beat kick in, haha. I'm hoping the rest of your mix continues this way now and that I don't have to listen to more stuffy scene kids warble. =P. I'm not sure whether or not it's because I was grateful to hear it or because there was something about this I really enjoyed but it really clicked with me. So much so that I went and wikipedia'd Lykke Li and found out that she'd get it. Handy, yo! 8.

Alone

It's the Klaxons syndrome! Great beat overburddened by a terribly annoying voice. If I was still playing I'd completely steal the shit out of that bassline and sit playing it in practice to the bemused stares of my metal drummer and punk guitarist. If, like, I weren't shit. I stuck with it despite the voice and I loved where it went musically. But for reasons of his voice it's highly unlikely I'll listen to it again to be honest.

Black and Blue

I was determined that these were pretentious nobheads the second I read "named after the Japanese film director Takashi Miike", haha. To the uninformed - Takashi Miike is to Japan what Quentin Tarantino is to Hollywood. He's that first-port-of-call, slightly outlandlish, slightly eccentric, more-than-slightly overhyped director that every fanboy going has to worship to get his I Want To Be Japanese So Badly I've Even Started Using Cutesey Words I Learned From Anime card. Rant aside I didn't mind it too much musically but I didn't adore it much either. It's in that six teritory. I'd sit and listen to it at a party and maybe wiggle drunkenly to it but I wouldn't put it on myself.

The End Of You Too

Enjoyed this and was glad it never really got ruined by unnecessary vocals. The image I had in this all the way through was of Bill Bailey experimenting with all the sounds he could get out of his latest keyboard, which made it funny when it shouldn't really have been. Good, though, enjoyable. Will keep it. 8.

Little Secrets

Enjoyed it. Good record-store, nodding-your-head-whilst-flipping-through-CDs music.

Unfortunate band name for a German group really isn't it? Haha. Pleasant enough, largely harmless.

Life Begins at 80

The sort of song this smiley was designed for: :cool: Saved the best 'til last. I'd love this in a club I expect, bit heavier, bit darker, bit more forceful. Never got dull for the duration, either.

I think more than anyone (perhaps unsurprising given your age, please don't take that as condescending[!]) it's been interesting to watch your music taste evolve over the course of these tapes. While the rest of us preach being eclectic and open minded it's almost like we're witnessing it in you as you produce these. I was expecting something that the indie kids would fill their briefs over with this and there's obviously probably always going to be an element of that in your music taste but there felt like a real maturing in here, too. I enjoyed it a lot - it would be interesting to read someone like James review this who sees the guitar as an abomination.

Appreciate that review a lot actually Finners, thanks very much. To be honest I did set out with the intention of showing that I'm not a one-genre person,; I really don't like it when people purely associate me with Indie.

Naturally there are some tracks on there which fit the bill, but I tried to make it so they slotted in the middle so they'd be forgotten about fairly quickly if people didn't like them. But my music taste genuinely has developed a hell of a lot over the last year, and I'd like to think this shows it!

I enjoyed it a lot - it would be interesting to read someone like James review this who sees the guitar as an abomination.

lol

That's not entirely true. But yeah I'm looking forward to reviewing this, got a bit of a back log though, hopefully get around to it before the weekend.

lol

That's not entirely true. But yeah I'm looking forward to reviewing this, got a bit of a back log though, hopefully get around to it before the weekend.

I'm in the same boat. Really need to sit down and start reviewing these before i even think about starting on mine.

Got to say I've been looking forward to this:

Punchy start and a great choice for an opener. Nice distorted synths and a driving beat. Is this Freeland as in Adam Freeland? I assume it is. Seen him at Fabric, his sets are quality, absolute filth at 5am. Good start. 7

2. Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer

Mate you'd go down a treat at some of the clubs I go to with tunes like this. I like this a lot. Disco-electro-funk or something. Touch of Daft Punk. Feeling it. Just about to put 8 and then some ever so slightly annoying vocals come in. Actually, fuck it, have an 8 anyway. 8

Wegue wegue wegue? Hmm. Not sure what to make of this. I quite like what's going on in the background. Good bass, good beat. Just not sure at all about that vocal. 6

4. Phoenix - 1901

Got to say as a first impression I like where your musical taste is evolving to Joe. This sounds like proper dance-indie crossover. Soon enough you'll leave all that shit indie behind..! As a song I don't really like this though. Bit too hectic for me and not enough bass, annoying singer as well. 5

Shock horror I found this quite pleasant to listen to. Nice, extended build up, not too thrashy when it finally all comes together, decent vocal. Yeah this was surprisingly enjoyable. See I'm not a one trick pony. 7

Distinctly ok. 6

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher fooked The Kids

The album is called Campfire Punkrock? Quality. Amusing tune. Can't argue with a lot of what he says, like how he gets angrier throughout! Enjoyed that. 7

Fez used to bang on about these. Let's see what the fuss is about. Hmm not bad actually. Very well put together tune, if you know what I mean - all the parts seem to fit together very nicely. THIS is the sort of "indie" or whatever you want to call it that I could listen to. A different, original sound by people who clearly understand what they're doing. 8

Ahh, back in familiar territory. Is that a small child singing? Bizarre. Very cool sound though. If you like this you might want to try Eero Johannes - think that's how you spell his name anyway. Slightly quirky electro poppy sort of sound. It's maybe just a touch too sweet for me but like it a lot nevertheless. 7

10. Dan Black - Alone

I want to punch Dan Black in the nose. He sounds like a right cunt. 3

11. Mike Snow - Black & Blue

Oooh. Interesting. Quality synthy bass sounds going on in the background. Would love to know how he makes that sound, especially now I'm seriously starting to look at producing some tunes of my own. Anyway, yeah I quite like this. Gets a bit shit after 2:15 for a bit which is a shame. 6

12. Metronomy - The End Of You Too

Another sort of Daft Punk type tune. This is pretty cool. Sounds like something the French would do. You know what I probably wouldn't listen to this again BUT it really encapsulates why I love the electronic scene. It's original and interesting. It's trying something different. Sometimes that won't work, sometimes it will work better than any jaded rock band could ever dream of. Glad you put this on here. 8

Yeah this is ok, bit lightweight though. I think I'm maybe slightly tiring now and need something deep, dark and dirty to really get my attention back, this just feels a bit tame. 5

Yeah not bad. 6

Have Justice renamed themselves or something?! Like the dirty bass, could listen to that on its own all day, not too sure about the song as a whole. It's definitely a good choice to finish a mix and overall I think you've structured this really well. Fuck it actually, if I was in a club and this came on I'd love it. 7

=========

Mate I'm impressed. Great choice of songs, good variety and I'll be taking away a few to investigate further, especially that second track, loved that. 80Kidz is still playing as I type this - great choice for a closing tune. Anyway yeah I really enjoyed this, as far as I'm concerned the changing taste that you mentioned can only be a good thing. Only criticism really is overall I was left wanting something a little heavier at times, something a bit darker, harder and faster. Maybe next time!

Overall 8

These never come up in the right order on my playlists... sorry :P

1. Freeland - Under Control ?/10

Would have been a good start (had it been the start of my list :rolleyes: ) as it was, I still enjoyed this thump thump thumper!

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) ?/10

Mssr Telliet eh? Well, when he did Divine for last year's Eurovision, I thought that was great and went out and bought it (Actually on Eurovision he was awful though, embarressingly so.) Not so impressed with this one sadly.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) ?/10

Have you ever heard Afro-left (or indeed, Afro-ride from the original Wip3out game)? Cos either that was inspired by this, or, more likely, this was inspired by that. Give me Leftfield any day.

4. Phoenix - 1901 ?/10

This was okay, but not especially I NEED THIS BAND IN MY LIFE!

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning ?/10

This was one of the better tracks from the mix. Liking this one. Just just love mashed up wall of sound guitars though he could do with sounding a little more emotive, I mean, he doesn't sound to concerned about her(?) body being black and blue.

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out ?/10

Best track of the album. I remember a few years ago, just as Kasabian were hitting the big time, HotS had a single out I quite liked (The Red The White The Black The Blue) but I didn't like their next single (Nehemiah). I like this though, maybe Nehemiah was just a blip?

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids ?/10

Oh dear, Mr Turner has such a discerning insight into politics. Do we really need to be told this? In song? Seems like a waste of a song to me.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This ?/10

Can't think of anything to say about this other than it was a little boring.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) ?/10

This is one of those track where I already knew I didn't like the artist and it did nothing to change that.

10. Dan Black - Alone ?/10

There seem to be a few nice ideas going on here, but together they don't make a good song. Sum of the parts and all that. Distinctly avergae voice too.

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue ?/10

No.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too ?/10

Definately not.

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets ?/10

I refer anyone reading this to the Dan Black track, bits of Harold Faltermayer, the Go! Team, Mika. Didn't work for me.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 ?/10

What's with the years as song titles? Horribly repetative riff.

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty ?/10

Unremarkable, so I shan't.

Thanks Joe - weak ending for me there, but there were a few tracks I enjoyed so as always - worth the effort and much appreciated! :thumbup:

Just got an email from gigsandtours.com. WWPJ have announced some dates or something.

Yeah Nottingham's the closest. I do fancy it though, I reckon they'd be good live. Might see if I can rope some mates into it...

However, saying that I'll hopefully be much nearer Brighton come November...

Really liked it. Dunno what else to say. 8

2. Sebastien Tellier - Kilometer

Liked almost as much. I think you've caught me in a mood here. 8 (I nearly lowered that when the violin came in!)

Vocals irritated me, the rest was fine but I had to skip it halfway. Sorry. 5.5

4. Phoenix - 1901

This is one of about 5 albums I've got downloaded and have yet to listen to. This is pretty good, though from what I heard about the album I was expecting a little better. I'll have to get round to it later. 7

Got better as it went. Like this as well but it's dragged just a bit. 7.5

Heard before, not my favourite but okay. 6.5

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids

I really don't like Frank Turner. This is one of his more sophisticated lyrics which is saying something. 4.

I've suddenly realised I've barely listening to it. It was okay. 6

Like this almost instantly. Yep this is good. 8

10. Dan Black - Alone

Not a fan of this so much. 5.5

11. Mike Snow - Black & Blue

Pretty decent. Would listen again. 7.5

12. Metronomy - The End Of You Too

One of the other albums I have downloaded and haven't listened to yet is this one, that's a bit spooky. Like this too. Not loads but enough. 7.5

Slightly less good but still alright. 7

I'm getting tired of saying 'yeah like this!' - 7

Meh. 6.5. Actually suddenly at the end it's growing on me I hate you Joe.

Really liked this, like I say you must have caught me in the right mood or something but I imagine I'll save a good deal of this and play it again, quite possibly today. Now instead of doing someone elses I'm going to play a shitty strategy game whilst listening to Camera Obscura.

1. Freeland - Under Control 7/10 - We Are Scientists play Teenagers songs. Me Likey!

2. Sébastien Tellier - Kilometer (A-Trak Extended Dub) 9/10 - Anyone with a song called 'Sexual Sportswear' deserves big love. This remix is great. I'll be downloading this soon methinks.

3. Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) 8/10 - Assuming that i put you onto these after my last mix? Big tune. PONGOLOVE!

4. Phoenix - 1901 8/10 - You've sent me this before and i enjoyed it.

5. We Were Promised Jetpacks - It's Thunder & It's Lightning 7/10 -Not bad that.

6. Hope of The States - Sing It Out 9/10 - Again expect i put you onto these (and this song in particular) from one of my mixes? TUNE!

7. Frank Turner - Thatcher Fucked The Kids 9/10 - Loved Million Dead, love Frank Turner even more. Brilliant live and Love Ire and Song is a great album. This is a great song and i love his voice. Had me singing along in the 2nd chorus :D

8. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This 8/10 - Confession, i never really got into BBC. I knew they were good and have heard stuff by them and my mate raves about them all the time. This is just another reason for me to start listening to everyone and give them a proper chance. Very good, like the Anthony and The Johnsons voice too.

9. Lykke Li - Little Bit (AutoErotique Bootleg Remix) 9/10 - Love the original. This is better!

10. Dan Black - Alone 10/10 - LOVE THIS SONG! Was gonna go on mine but as always you go first and ruin my tracklist lol

11. Miike Snow - Black & Blue 7/10 - Another unknown to me. On first listen - me likey, like Sam Sparro ... but good. Will definately give the album a listen.

12. Metronomy - The End of You Too 8/10 - I love Metronomy and was gonna put 'My Heart Rate Rapid' on my mix but wasn't sure if i'd already done that. Another massive song!

13. Passion Pit - Little Secrets ?/10 - Manners is one of my favourite albums of this year and this is a massive song. Sleepyhead was gonna make mine but im not sure now.

14. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 7/10 - Again i never really got into WBA cos i didn't like the band name and assumed it would be some folky nonsense but saw a video TPH posted a year or so ago of Golden Cage and always meant to check it out. Enjoyed this.

15. 80Kidz - Life Begins at Eighty 8/10 - :o:D

9/10 - Fucking brilliant. By far you're best and the best so far. I'll have to pull out the stops now.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed this quite a bit more, more lively and more my sort of thing. 7/10

After several listens, I'd have to up this to a 9.

It's quickly making it's way up my most played. Tune.

Archived