Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Edmund

Rap Music Today - Ghostface Says It As It Is.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

:appl: :appl: :worship: :worship:

today’s rap music is bullshit
back in the day you had to be lyrical and he had to be a swordsman to make it in Wu-Tang.

I think Ghostface sums up my exact feelings on todays rap music. What a sad state of affairs when you absolutely despise the genre you once had so much love for. The music is so money driven and is made for one purpose only. For a long time it has lost its soul and is now littered with medeoka rappers with the same old synthetic beats. What happened to the art of sampling?

R.I.P Rap

No I'm not, theres plenty of talent coming up in Hip-Hop, just ignorant people choose to ignore it because they judge modern day hiphop on what they hear on the radio.

Ill listen to the commercial stuff on the radio if I like it, its easy listening... I'll also listen to underground hiphop, 90s hiphop and 80s hiphop.

You cant blame some of the shitter rappers for making watered down music, people will buy it and theyll make money, its not there fault the masses dont buy the more, 'real' hiphop, and for that reason record labels wont push hiphop that isnt commercial, I dont like this happening but its how the hiphop business is now.

And its quite funny Ghostface slating hiphop aimed at getting radio play by being dumbed down, his next album is an RnB album as hes been calling it lol

Slaughterhouse are my favourite artists in Hiphop right now, made up of Crooked I, Joel Ortizz, Royce da 5'9 and Joe Budden. Give them a listen Jehst, new group although to be fair the artists have been around a few years, but still all 4 of them are lyrically lightyears ahead of most.

If you look at it most of the rappers I grew up listening to are all 30+ - Dre, Eminem, Nas, Jay, Ludacris, Tupac [dead], Biggie [dead], Eazy-E [dead], Common, Mos Def, DMX, Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Wu-Tang Clan etc etc etc.

The only ones who I listen to regularly who are under 30 are The Game, Wayne and T.I. and they are all pushing late 20's. I mean, Nas was a poxy little 17 year old kid when he produced Illmatic. We have no equivilant of that today.

Soulja Boy is a kid who's doing his thing and is catering for his fan base who are mainly young girls - fair play to him I'd say. Even I listen to his stuff when it comes on the radio or music chanels, if I like it I'll listen to it. In today's world it's all about suply and demand in ANY industry.

No I'm not, theres plenty of talent coming up in Hip-Hop, just ignorant people choose to ignore it because they judge modern day hiphop on what they hear on the radio.

Ive listened to a lot of the modern day rap/hip hop and ive still not been convinced. Personally for me there has been no one standout. I don't listen to the radio for starters so its not ignorance its just personal opinion and I know im not alone as all me mates who were passionate about it back in the day all feel the same way. Without sounding patronising its the youngsters who listen to most of todays rap/hip hop and they are the ones funding the genres which is fairplay but to me its a whole different thing now and thats the direction it has taken and is now the accepted thing. Yes there is the odd bit which slightly fancys my tickle but 99.99% is throw away and will have no shelf life and long forgotten months after release. The fact that old albums still sell by the shed loads shows the quality factor.

You cant blame some of the shitter rappers for making watered down music, people will buy it and theyll make money, its not there fault the masses dont buy the more, 'real' hiphop, and for that reason record labels wont push hiphop that isnt commercial, I dont like this happening but its how the hiphop business is now.

Yes you can. That was what the whole hip hop scene was built on - soul. Everything you have written here is the reason why hip hop/rap is so shite and medeoka today.

The great producers will tell you that if you make music with money not in mind you will make great music. Then the music will sell itself as it is good music. People who make music with money in mind aren't true musicians.

Look at the dnb scene, it has always done its thing by making music for the people and not for record sales and it prospers and grows every year without selling itself short. It shows it can be done and is a healthy genre which will never die because of its strong following. Hip hop could have been the same but it bowed out to money and major record deals where money is the key objective.

And its quite funny Ghostface slating hiphop aimed at getting radio play by being dumbed down, his next album is an RnB album as hes been calling it lol

To be honest im not aware of what ghostface is upto these days but what he said in that video is spot on and shared by many.

Slaughterhouse are my favourite artists in Hiphop right now, made up of Crooked I, Joel Ortizz, Royce da 5'9 and Joe Budden. Give them a listen Jehst, new group although to be fair the artists have been around a few years, but still all 4 of them are lyrically lightyears ahead of most.

I had a listen to that slaughterhouse - raindrops. Yeah its not bad but its not great. Im not going to judge them on one track and will have a listen to there other stuff but personally for me just sounds like your run of the mill rappers. Ive heard of Joe Budden and royce but I was never taken back from what ive heard from them.

Don't take it personally, im not saying it's wrong to listen to it or your musical tastes are any less than the next man because that would be music snobbery and the beauty of music is everyone has there own taste but I just think the hip hop/rap we all once knew has long gone.

I feel is if im fighting a losing battle on these forums as the majority of you are younger and seem to accept the new stuff as just as good as back in the day but my faith is always restored when i meet like minded hip hop heads.

Oh I dont think todays hiphop is anything like the stuff from the 90s or 80s, I just dont like the way people write off all modern day hiphop, theres still alot of talent in it. As many people have said on here about all sorts of genres, you have to search through the shit to get to the good stuff.

If you look at it most of the rappers I grew up listening to are all 30+ - Dre, Eminem, Nas, Jay, Ludacris, Tupac [dead], Biggie [dead], Eazy-E [dead], Common, Mos Def, DMX, Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Wu-Tang Clan etc etc etc.

The only ones who I listen to regularly who are under 30 are The Game, Wayne and T.I. and they are all pushing late 20's. I mean, Nas was a poxy little 17 year old kid when he produced Illmatic. We have no equivilant of that today.

Thats a good point. It makes you wonder why with America being such a big country and the following the scene has had over the years that only a handful make it and that no one of the calibre of those mentioned has followed in the footsteps.

my rap knowledge ends with de la soul, but i do try to rediscover (now and again) a genre i loved back in the 80s...

when i was in america, i met a girl who mentioned Anticon... which i thought was a band, but looking at this. it looks like it goes much further...

have either of you guys heard of it, the stuff i've heard is pretty interesting.... hope it's something?

my rap knowledge ends with de la soul, but i do try to rediscover (now and again) a genre i loved back in the 80s...

when i was in america, i met a girl who mentioned Anticon... which i thought was a band, but looking at this. it looks like it goes much further...

have either of you guys heard of it, the stuff i've heard is pretty interesting.... hope it's something?

Yeah the name rings a bell. They are more on a abstract tip. Nothing ive heard to much of though. Pretty decent following from my understanding.

I think Ghostface sums up my exact feelings on todays rap music. What a sad state of affairs when you absolutely despise the genre you once had so much love for. The music is so money driven and is made for one purpose only. For a long time it has lost its soul and is now littered with medeoka rappers with the same old synthetic beats. What happened to the art of sampling?

R.I.P Rap

I think to a certain extent this is the same as another post about female singers on here and the fact that in America big corporate record companies are only interested in making money they don't want to take a risk and instead just want to recreate the last BIG HIT with another song almost the same.

For an artist to break America especially in Hip Hop they have to have the backing of a big record label without them or MTV it must be so difficult or infact almost impossible to get anywhere.

most of the R&B music that is pumped out these days it's so bland but sells by the bucket load and therefore that is what they will continue to pump out time and time again just going for the money.

Without Money in American music it must be almost impossible to get out of your own state let alone national coverage.

For an artist to break America especially in Hip Hop they have to have the backing of a big record label without them or MTV it must be so difficult or infact almost impossible to get anywhere.

most of the R&B music that is pumped out these days it's so bland but sells by the bucket load and therefore that is what they will continue to pump out time and time again just going for the money.

Without Money in American music it must be almost impossible to get out of your own state let alone national coverage.

I agree with what you say but why they don't unite and create a underground scene very much the sameway the dnb scene in England is and fook the majors off by starting up indies is beyond me.

This way they can control the content and have the final say on the music. Sales may be smaller but can be made up in live performances.

The only reason why I can think its not gone down that route is because of the size of the country as its not such a tight nit community. :dunno:

Obviously I can't fully comment on the situation as im not from America and for all I know there could be a huge underground scene already im not aware of.

I agree with what you say but why they don't unite and create a underground scene very much the sameway the dnb scene in England is and fook the majors off by starting up indies is beyond me.

This way they can control the content and have the final say on the music. Sales may be smaller but can be made up in live performances.

The only reason why I can think its not gone down that route is because of the size of the country as its not such a tight nit community. :dunno:

Obviously I can't fully comment on the situation as im not from America and for all I know there could be a huge underground scene already im not aware of.

I think the size of the country does have something to do with it I mean totally different style of music but in terms of a band like Kings Of Leon they actually had to come over to Europe and the UK to break before America would really like to take notice.

The nearest I can think of in terms of creating your own scene is maybe Bay Area San Fran Hip Hop like Quannum they have basically done it for themselves. put out there own records and have such artists as Blackalicious, DJ Shadow etc and got others involved in the music like Kid Koala, Cut Chemist, Jurassic 5 you also have Stones Throw records with Madlib, J Dilla, Peanut Butter Wolf and so on those two labels have done it for themselves and if any one "gets it" then it's a bonus and if they don't well they still love it.

I still think it needs more people to take a risk to me it seems like the the American music industry isn't run by anyone who simply loves music of all different styles it's run by accountants, bank managers and idiots who buy Celine Dion Records and slip on a bit of Kenny G to relax in the evening

I think the size of the country does have something to do with it I mean totally different style of music but in terms of a band like Kings Of Leon they actually had to come over to Europe and the UK to break before America would really like to take notice.

The nearest I can think of in terms of creating your own scene is maybe Bay Area San Fran Hip Hop like Quannum they have basically done it for themselves. put out there own records and have such artists as Blackalicious, DJ Shadow etc and got others involved in the music like Kid Koala, Cut Chemist, Jurassic 5 you also have Stones Throw records with Madlib, J Dilla, Peanut Butter Wolf and so on those two labels have done it for themselves and if any one "gets it" then it's a bonus and if they don't well they still love it.

I still think it needs more people to take a risk to me it seems like the the American music industry isn't run by anyone who simply loves music of all different styles it's run by accountants, bank managers and idiots who buy Celine Dion Records and slip on a bit of Kenny G to relax in the evening

same as the Anticon collective i mentioned - looks like you boys need to get to san francisco :D

doesn't surprise me, it's not to far from portland and seattle where the same sort of alt. scenes have emerged for rock and indie...

Yeah they have been doing there thing for a while and still the quality control is high and the following is strong without the need to sell out.

Haven't listened to any Blackalicious for ages going to buss some on now. Cheers Jay. :D

Archived