Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Falling In and Out With Bands

Kind of a spin off of my "never love a band too much" thread.

Seeing other people's points and views, it came to my mind that there have been bands I fell out of love with as I grew older, thought they were childish or some such nonsense and then grown to like again. For instance I gave away my entire Pet Shop Boys 12" (pretty much the 1st 6-8 singles) when I hit my early 20s thinking that if I never heard them again, it would be too soon. I regret this, I would really like to listen to them again (and yes, I know there's an album of the 1st 6 12"s they did, but it's not the same)

Having said THAT I also gave away my A-ha singles and 12"s, which I have never regretted. I almost gave away my Depeche Mode... that would have upset me I think!

Come to thing of it, I even fell out of love with Nirvana. Shear foolishness! When I was younger I had this stupid "preciousness" about music that it was MY MUSIC and once other people started liking it they were STEALING IT! Then I would go off that band when they became popular. Sometimes though, bands just become popular cos they have bought into the mainstream and swallowed the dictionary of average to appease the directors of record companies and acquire legions of dull-eyed and cloth-earred fans. Yes, I'm looking at you REM! :angry:

a-ha are great, and have never dipped in form...

great live act too-

their latest album is their best in years, with more of a return to their electronic origins.

Come to thing of it, I even fell out of love with Nirvana. Shear foolishness! When I was younger I had this stupid "preciousness" about music that it was MY MUSIC and once other people started liking it they were STEALING IT! Then I would go off that band when they became popular. Sometimes though, bands just become popular cos they have bought into the mainstream and swallowed the dictionary of average to appease the directors of record companies and acquire legions of dull-eyed and cloth-earred fans. Yes, I'm looking at you REM! angry.gif

You're not alone there Trav, I think that happens to a lot of us. I'm not going to lie, I still feel it now.

I can't help but feel aggrieved when an artist I have liked for a long time pops up on the Radio for the airwaves to murder to a slow and painful death. And following on from your REM shout, YES YOU KINGS OF LEON. I'm feeling as though Ellie Goulding will (and already has really) go along that route eventually too, it's never quite the same once they hit the mainstream unfortunately.

I don't particularly tend to fall in and out with bands personally, once I find something I like I try and stick with it unless something drastic happens. I'm reasonably easily pleased when it comes to music I think (although my friends would definitely tell you otherwise).

Manics used to really love them in my younger days saw them loads of times when Richey Edwards was with them and just after but for some reason between The Holy Bible and Everything Must go they really just didn't do it for me anymore BUT last years journal for plagued lovers was the first Manics album in years I wanted to buy and it's a very very good album

Archived