Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Which City has contributed most to music?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which City has contributed most to music?

• MANCHESTER
    • LIVERPOOL
    • BIRMINGHAM
    • SEATTLE
    • NEW YORK
    • SAN FRANCISCO
    • LOS ANGELES
    • PHILADELPHIA
    • OTHER (please give examples)

Just 5 examples for each city to give you something to vote on (not particularly my taste)

Manchester

The Smiths

New Order

Oasis

The Fall

Stone Roses

Liverpool

The Beatles

Lightning Seeds

The Las

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Echo & The Bunny Men

Birmingham

Slade

Black Sabbath

The Streets

UB40

Napalm Death

Seattle

Jimi Hendrix

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Sound Garden

Pearl Jam

New York

The Velvet Underground

Sonic Youth

Wu-tang Clan

Public Enemy

Moby

San Francisco

The Grateful Dead

The Dead Kennedys

Faith No More

Blackalicious

Green Day

Los Angeles

The Doors

Love

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Guns n' Roses

DJ Shadow

Philadelphia

John Coltrane

The Brecker Brothers

Joan Jett

DJ Jazzy Jeff

Teddy Pendergrass

For my own tastes, it owuld have to be Manchester (Smiths, Fall etc).

New York and Birmingham would run the Mancs close though.

Incidentally, they would make excellent festival line-ups. I'd pay good money to see Naplam Death, Slade and UB40 on the same day. :D

Manchester is wonderful, must always remember Doves, Elbow who are established manc artists and the rather good Longcut, Nine Black Alps, Performance, Young Offenders Institute who will blow yr socks off one day..

NYC did give us a lot though, interpol, strokes, dylan found his fame in new york..and bob dylan is more influential than he ever gets credit for.

I've gone for Manc tho, the only thing i miss about Leicester are being able to go down to watch the footy everyweek. still can catch some away games up in the norht west though

Chicago.

Chicago years: early 1980s - late 1980s

In 1983 the Music Box club opened in Chicago. Owned by Robert Williams, the driving force was a DJ, Ron Hardy. The chief characteristics of the club's sound were sheer massive volume and an increased pace to the tunes. The pace was apparently the result of Hardy's heroin use. The club also played a wider range of music than just disco. Groups such as Kraftwerk and Blondie were well received, as was a brief flirtation with punk, dances like "Punking-Out" or "Jacking" being very popular.

Two tunes are arguably the first House music, each arriving in early 1984. The tune that was chronologically first was Jamie Principle and Frankie Knuckles' "Your Love", a huge hit in the clubs, but only available on tape copies. The second, "On And On" by Jesse Saunders was later but on vinyl (Shapiro, 2000).

By 1985 house music dominated the clubs of Chicago, aided by the musical electronic revolution - the arrival of newer, cheaper and more compact music sequencers and drum machines (such as the legendary Roland TB-303 in late 1985) gave House music creators even wider possibilities in creating their own sound, indeed the creation of Acid House is directly related to the efforts of DJ Pierre on the new drum machines. Of equal importance was the rise in Chicago of the Trax record label, founded by Larry Sherman (the owner of the only vinyl pressing plant in Chicago). This was something of a double-edged sword. In its favour Trax was very fast to sign new artists and press their tunes, establishing a large catalogue of House tunes, but the label used recycled vinyl to speed the pressing process resulting in physically poor quality records. Also disappointing was that many artists signed contracts that were rather less favourable towards them than they hoped.

Trax became the dominant House label, releasing many classics including "No Way Back" by Adonis, Larry Heard's "Can You Feel It" and the first so-called House anthem in 1986, "Move Your Body" by Marshall Jefferson. This latter tune gave a massive boost to House music, extending recognition of the genre out of Chicago. Steve 'Silk' Hurley became the first house artist to reach number one in the UK in 1987 with "Jack Your Body". This and other tracks such as such as "Music is the Key" and "Love Can't Turn Around" helped moved house from its spiritual home to its commercial birthplace - the United Kingdom.

NEW ORLEANS!!

As a guy I know put it:

"However, hands down, the greatest music mecca, in my humble opinion, is New Orleans. Anyone who's ever taken a walk down Bourbon St and heard the jazz, swing, blues, and big band that comes pouring out of the seemingly endless amounts of clubs knows what I'm talking about. Where else can you eat the best cajun food, drink openly on public roadways, and hear some of the finest music known to man all within walking distance?

New Orleans kicks ass."

Guest freund
From that list, nothing comes close to Seattle IMO...

My favourite band are from LA though, hence my vote ^_^

110634[/snapback]

your fave band is?

110634[/snapback]

your fave band is?

110740[/snapback]

Tool

Guest freund

110634[/snapback]

your fave band is?

110740[/snapback]

Tool

110744[/snapback]

well I might be, but what's your favourite band?

110634[/snapback]

your fave band is?

110740[/snapback]

Tool

110744[/snapback]

well I might be, but what's your favourite band?

110788[/snapback]

Yup, just for asking that question again I'll call you a tool :P

What about Cov, and the SKA movement of the early 80's?  The Specials, The Beat etc.

110884[/snapback]

Excellent choice!!

110897[/snapback]

Wayhey!! I'm not alone!!

Based on personal experience, there can be only 1 winner here

I came to live in England in Jan 87 and originally lived in coventry but spent most of my time in Birmingham

This was just as the Grindcore scene was starting - There were great gigs every week

Some of the bands that emerged at that time (either Birmingham bands or bands with members from Birmingham) were:

Napalm Death

Doom

Extreme Noise Terror

Filthkick

Ripcord

Bolt Thrower

Excrement Of War

Genital Deformities

Godflesh

and many more - lots of bands appeared overnight played 1 or 2 gigs and disappeared again!

Archived