Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smiggy6773

Greatest Goal

I'm sure we've had this thread not so long ago.

It all depends how far you can go back of course. There were many superb goals scored at Filbo as the various posts to date testify.

BUT for me, the most spectacular was on 16th April 1963, playing Man Utd, when Denis Law scored from the edge of the box with an incredible overhead bicycle kick which flew like a bullet past Gordon Banks into the net. The match in itself was one that will always be remembered for two hat-tricks, one by Denis Law and the other by Ken Keyworth scored within a period of only six minutes. Terry Heath scored one which enabled Leicester to run out winners 4-3.

Certainly remember that, was most probably there......:thumbup:

A little later in the sixties and once again against United, I recall George Best picking the ball up on the wing, cutting in to the corner of the penalty box, dribbling along the 18 yard line almost to the other corner beating our entire defence as he did so and then turning and smashing the ball back across the keeper into the far top corner.

I'll see if I can find any details......

Stan Collymore v Sunderland :)

Definitely....best team performance i ever saw at Filbert Street as well....imagine what could have been with Heskey / Collymore and if O'Neill had stayed?!?! oh well.....Nalis goal definite best at Walkers as well....end of topic.

At Filbo it has to be Andy Peake v Liverpool (August 1980). We'd just been promoted, were without a win when this game was played, and Liverpool were the reigning champions. He had the confidence to pick the ball up around the half way line, take it forward and let fly from 30 yards beating the England keeper all ends up! Also remember a scorcher from Alan Birchenall, again against Liverpool (August 1973) which would be my second choice. Oh, and another curling 30 yarder, following a mazy run, from Lenny Glover against Stoke (January 1972) against no lesser figure than Mr. G. Banks. At the Walkers it has to be the Nalis effort v Leeds, which set up our first win back in the Premiership. All of these goals were also pivotal to the outcome of the game and gave City much needed impetus (not to mention points!) for the rest of the season.

Certainly remember that, was most probably there......:thumbup:

A little later in the sixties and once again against United, I recall George Best picking the ball up on the wing, cutting in to the corner of the penalty box, dribbling along the 18 yard line almost to the other corner beating our entire defence as he did so and then turning and smashing the ball back across the keeper into the far top corner.

I'll see if I can find any details......

George Best scored for Man Utd in two consecutive seasons:

13th November 1965 when we narrowly lost 0 - 5 !!!!!! The other Utd scorers were Herd (2), Charlton and Connolly. I am not trying to be funny when I say 'narrowly' because we cheered the team off the field after they had forced thirty-six corners but couldn't convert any into a goal.

Then just over a year later

30th November 1966 when we generously let Utd win 1 - 2. (the one and only fantastic Davie Gibson for City, Best and Law for Man Utd.)

Does

Anyone remember that Mark Robins goal when he practically turned 180 degrees to half volley it left footed into the bottom right corner? For some reason my memory says it was in the family stand goal but I can't even be 100% sure it was at Filbert Street.

Not saying it was the greatest goal at all but it did (I think) get a lot of praise at the time! Although I'm sure Graham Fenton got praise for a goal at some point lol!

Best Leicester goal at Filbert Street for me..Andy Peake against Liverpool not sure of the year we wo 2-0 & i think it won goal of the season on MoD.

As for the Walkers(kp) fir me its got to be Joey from the half-way line Gudjonsson. How rare it is to see 1 scored on the telly.Even more rare to actually see 1 go in when you are at the game. :scarf::trumpet:

Obviously I'm of a younger generation so I'm unaware of a few of the more older goals.

Lillian Nalis' wonder vs. Leeds will always stand out to me... but also I enjoyed a more recent Jeffrey Bruma vs. Watford.

• 4 years later...

Perspective..non of them was as good as Vardys.

The others were great but now long back in time, giving us distant memories.

Vardys might be the one that coincides with Leicester City football clubs best ever season.

So Vardy no1.

I am an old winkly, but not a grumpy old man, yesterdays goal for all different reasons could be the

one that confirms our season.

Like Liverpool we had our chances, both goalkeepers were on top of their game,there was a goal in the air

but from whom, that Mahez twist and spetacular long pass from defence, it really did come from nowhere,

the audacity of Vardy, up alone ,way off the center channel.That wrapped around the whole team, confirming

they are earning their right and belong.Just maybe for the 1st time the doubters, started to believe.

Most importantly......it was NOW..

Archived