Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Filbert St Car Park set to close down?

Merc

For those that might use it.

A car park on the site of Leicester City's former Filbert Street ground looks set to be shut down.

The site has been used as a car park for two years – but next week, city councillors are being urged to refuse planning permission for it to continue.

Planning officers say the site is a danger to pedestrians and highway safety and that match day congestion has worsened since it opened.

Castle ward councillor Neil Clayton said the car park added to road congestion, increased air pollution, and was often noisy.

He said: "There are more than enough parking spaces in the area. We want to promote buses and the park-and-ride schemes, not cheap parking.

"While the site is operated as a car park there is no incentive for the developers to move in and get to work, either."

The land was bought by Downing Developments in 2007 following the Foxes move to the nearby Walkers Stadium in 2002, and a large student halls of residence complex was built on part of the site.

But much of the land was left empty after plans for a further 405 flats and 10 houses did not go ahead.

The land was leased to UK Car Parks which now runs a 220-space operation.

Councillors will make a decision on the car park next Tuesday.

The city council was previously unable to block permission for the car park to continue operating because it did not have a document setting out a strategy for how parking was managed in Leicester.

But a detailed document was completed late last year, which means the authority is able to overcome the technicality.

Gerry McCall, 50, from Filbert Street, said: "For nearly a decade the site has been empty and it's about time the area was developed.

"It's not fair on local residents who have to endure a busy car park right outside their home. "It's in constant use throughout the day and the slamming of car doors often wakes me up during the night."

Gary Fowles, 22, from Sawday Street, said: "It's not too bad in the winter but in the summer there's a real problem with cars kicking up dust and gravel in the car park. It's often difficult to breathe when you walk past.

"Local people would far rather see the site developed, because at the moment it makes the area look a bit tatty."

Tamsin Cottle, of Roger Tym and Partners, which is representing UK Car Parks, said that Downing Development still planned to build on the land, but needed to delay it for two years.

She added: "Rather than leave the site vacant, UK Car Parks wish to continue to operate."

The Park and Ride scheme?

Is this the same Park and Ride that no longer stops near the Infirmary, which was apparently too far for most users to walk to the KP as it is?

The same Park and Ride that doesn't operate after 7pm, which means it's useless for midweek fixtures?

Or on Sundays?

so what park and ride scheme is their for the football?

The Park and Ride scheme? Is this the same Park and Ride that no longer stops near the Infirmary, which was apparently too far for most users to walk to the KP as it is? The same Park and Ride that doesn't operate after 7pm, which means it's useless for midweek fixtures? Or on Sundays?

just thinking something similar, I pass that Birstall park and ride on my way in to Leicester every match day, it's always empty well about 10 cars maximum.

put a few football specials on that say drop off on Aylestone Road opposite cinema entrance, all you are doing is adding a small loop on the end of the journey

At the minute coming from a far public transport / Park and Ride is simply not an option

Never used it because it seems abit of a rip off (£10 per game isn't it?), which is sad considering how close it is to the ground and where it is based.

I thought it was only £5....i cant remember tbf. I have to agree with the residents...it does look a dump around there. areas where the old ground was needs a good going over.

so what park and ride scheme is their for the football?

just thinking something similar, I pass that Birstall park and ride on my way in to Leicester every match day, it's always empty well about 10 cars maximum.

put a few football specials on that say drop off on Aylestone Road opposite cinema entrance, all you are doing is adding a small loop on the end of the journey

At the minute coming from a far public transport / Park and Ride is simply not an option

I asked about that in a FCC meeting; I was told that the Park and Ride is council operated, and the club were talking to the Council about it, but I got the impression "talking" meant "we might have mentioned something, at some point, but never really took anything further".

I thought it was only £5....i cant remember tbf. I have to agree with the residents...it does look a dump around there. areas where the old ground was needs a good going over.

Closing the car park will have absolutely no affect on it's appearance it will remain empty and become over grown with weeds and become dumping ground for rubbish at least as a car park weeds will be minimal and rubbish will be cleared.

Closing the car park will have absolutely no affect on it's appearance it will remain empty and become over grown with weeds and become dumping ground for rubbish at least as a car park weeds will be minimal and rubbish will be cleared.

Seems a waste then imo, better for the space to have a use than something else.

Im pretty sure the residents would rather have it as a car park than it be close then all of a sudden gypo's go on the site.

Better as a car park than them build another monstrosity like that accomodation block there now.

Were it not the case that some of the local residents campaigned against us re-developing the East Stand at Filbert Street because a taller stand would block out their light? Yet there's a big twenty storey block of flats there now!

What with the push for permit-parking in a few popular areas for the football, seems like sooner or later it could be very hard to drive to the stadium for matchdays which is a shame I think. Everyone knows what a hassle the likes of Coventry, Reading and Brighton are, let's not make our stadium so unaccessible please.

Archived