Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

City -v- Newcastle 1979 - on ITV4+1 in 10 mins

I remember listening to Radio Leicester. There was no live commentary in those days. It was occasional updates from Steve Lambden or when a goal was scored. We would know that it was a Leicester goal before he confirmed this because Radio Leicester used to play a car horn-type of music to alert us. (

)

The FA cup was magical because the final was one of the only games you would see live on telly all year, there were only a few channels and the BBC had hours of build up, so everyone watched it and the papers were full of FA Cup (and not much else). It was a national event.

I still remember which teams were in the finals and what the games were like for the FA cup finals in the late 70s and 80s. I couldn't tell you who has been in the finals and what the games were like since the Premier League started.

Odd isn't it? Maybe it's an age thing, seeing things through rose tinted glasses, but I could probably name most of the West Ham side for '75, or Ipswich for '78. Yet the 90s and 00s feel like a largely boring blur of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Agree with everything you had to say. The FA Cup final was a special occasion for football fans in the 1970s/1980s, irrespective of the teams who were involved. If your side got to Wembley it was something really special. When they introduced the play off finals at Wembley, it took away the special appeal of the FA Cup because so many teams played at Wembley. Many of my favourite City moments were matches in the FA Cup:

1974 Luton 0 Leicester 4, QPR 0 Leicester 2

1982 Leicester 3 Southampton 1, Leicester 5 Shrewsbury 2

:thumbup:

The cup run that sticks in my memory was 74-75. We scraped past Leatherhead in the 4th round, drew with Arsenal at Highbury in the 5th round, then absolutely battered them in the replay but drew 1-1 (diving header from Birch). It was one of the most one sided football matches I can remember seeing.

Then we somehow lost at home in the second replay. It was about this time I realised the best team doesn't always win...

Missed the beginning........but will watch all of it later.

The following link doesn't work at the moment, but it does say programmes are available 1 or 2 hours after broadcast.

https://www.itv.com/...wcastle-united

Huge thanks for posting the link to this - I've just had a wonderfully nostalgic 20 minutes this morning watching that. So many thoughts. It was such a different match-day experience in those days. Even now, my heart still betas a little faster remembering walking to the ground in those times ! There was always an edge to it that isn't there now, for better or worse. The advertising hoardings are fascinating viewing too. So many of thise companies and businesses have gone, but surprised how many looked familiar. Not sure if this was an urban myth, but seem to recall someone once telling me that the club, (at its nadir), could scarcely sell advertising space so some hoardings stayed up to make it look a popular option !????. The names of the players bring back so many memories. Loved Bobby Smith, Buchanan, May, Williams et al. Was the beginning of such an exciting time with all the youngsters being blooded - each week there seemed to be a couple of new faces. Also, am I the only one who watches that now and feels that it would have been possible to have stepped out from the terraces and played without being a disgrace ?? Surfaces were such a leveller back then - made everyone look like park players ! Finally, great to see how few players entered into any form of discussion with the referee. When did the officials lose that and allow the 'spoilt brat syndrome' to become the norm in challenging every decision made ???

I loved the fact that 11mins into this vid, Birchenall takes the piss by doing some keepy uppy.

lol

What a fabulous match and associated memory. Again, thanks for putting the link on here. Birch's 'keepy-uppy' is possibly the worst piece of skill I've ever witnessed from a pro-footballer, though ! My 7 year-old would be embarrassed by the lack of grace and poise !!! What a team that was when it was in the mood. Happy days.

What a fabulous match and associated memory. Again, thanks for putting the link on here. Birch's 'keepy-uppy' is possibly the worst piece of skill I've ever witnessed from a pro-footballer, though ! My 7 year-old would be embarrassed by the lack of grace and poise !!! What a team that was when it was in the mood. Happy days.

When it was in the mood, that team was undoubtedly a match for any other team in the country.

Archived