Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

City -v- Newcastle 1979 - on ITV4+1 in 10 mins

• 4 months later...

Sky Channel 206 at 08:15.

Just watched it on ITV4.

With a sandpit for a pitch and kids running on at the end, they were different days...

Everyone played on pitch`s like that in those days.

In fact some pitch`s were a damn site worse, but we never saw clubs resting players for cup games because they didn`t want to tire the players out!

Squads weren`t so big then either, with only one sub allowed in a game.

I`ve got to say i can`t ever remember anyone saying the players were tired, and if your best players were fit they played in every game, be it the League cup, FA Cup, or the league.

Ironically, FA Cup attendances used to tend to be bigger than the league games back in those days too, because it meant so much to us.

Sadly we now have the modern game, with fans wanting their clubs out of the FA Cup, so they can concentrate on the league.

Such a shame the way modern football has gone.

Missed the beginning........but will watch all of it later.

The following link doesn't work at the moment, but it does say programmes are available 1 or 2 hours after broadcast.

https://www.itv.com/...wcastle-united

This is working now.

First minute or so of the game:

- Only 1 sub!

- Backpass (when was this law introduced?)

- Goalkeeper not wearing gloves

And the 1953 final.. deary me. The standard is so so poor, especially the goalkeeping! All too happy clappy fans too, where's the hate? :P

Everyone played on pitch`s like that in those days.

In fact some pitch`s were a damn site worse, but we never saw clubs resting players for cup games because they didn`t want to tire the players out!

Squads weren`t so big then either, with only one sub allowed in a game.

I`ve got to say i can`t ever remember anyone saying the players were tired, and if your best players were fit they played in every game, be it the League cup, FA Cup, or the league.

Ironically, FA Cup attendances used to tend to be bigger than the league games back in those days too, because it meant so much to us.

Sadly we now have the modern game, with fans wanting their clubs out of the FA Cup, so they can concentrate on the league.

Such a shame the way modern football has gone.

Yes, at what point exactly did the FA cup lose its magic? I also remember that gates for cup games used to be significnatly higher than for league games and that there woudl be very special atmosphere. The idea of 'concentrating on the league' was just a cliched thing for a manager to say to temper the disappointment of getting knocked out.

Now what really is the point of entering the FA cup if you don't intend to get as far in the competition as you can?

The same is true of the Europa League. The old UEFA Cup used to be a great competion (arguably with more strength in depth than the European Cup) and now it almost seems a punishment to be in it because it might tire out your players for the crucial games that could mean finishing fourth (or whatever the relvevant postion is in your country) and getting into the qualifying stages of the Champions League.

The FA cup was magical because the final was one of the only games you would see live on telly all year, there were only a few channels and the BBC had hours of build up, so everyone watched it and the papers were full of FA Cup (and not much else). It was a national event.

I still remember which teams were in the finals and what the games were like for the FA cup finals in the late 70s and 80s. I couldn't tell you who has been in the finals and what the games were like since the Premier League started.

Agree that this is really really stupid, but that has only been very recently. The 'magic' of the FA Cup was gone before.

I really disagree with that. Ofcourse the magic is still there. Where else would little teams like Brentford hold Chelsea to a draw or Oldham beat Liverpool. Only in the FA Cup!

Yes, at what point exactly did the FA cup lose its magic? I also remember that gates for cup games used to be significnatly higher than for league games and that there woudl be very special atmosphere. The idea of 'concentrating on the league' was just a cliched thing for a manager to say to temper the disappointment of getting knocked out.

Now what really is the point of entering the FA cup if you don't intend to get as far in the competition as you can?

The same is true of the Europa League. The old UEFA Cup used to be a great competion (arguably with more strength in depth than the European Cup) and now it almost seems a punishment to be in it because it might tire out your players for the crucial games that could mean finishing fourth (or whatever the relvevant postion is in your country) and getting into the qualifying stages of the Champions League.

Well i suppose the formation of the premier league, and more significantly the money that sky tv put into that league, was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup, even more so as time has gone on.

The game has become more about the money a club can make, rather than the memories and glory that a club can achieve by actually winning the most famous Cup in football.

When you see comments from fans these days about wanting us out of the FA Cup, or not being bothered about being knocked out, it makes me despair of what football has become.

I`ve been going down the City for 40 years, and while i`ve seen a few promotions and great games down the years, it is still some of the old cup runs, and cup games that i remember with the greatest affection.

The FA Cup was a truly magical competition at one time, and it saddens me to see the irrelevance it is seen as, by some fans and clubs these days.

I am afraid it is how modern football is now, and as an old git, i don`t like it, but most of the younger fans don`t know any different and so are not having to leave those days behind, in order to try and carry on embracing the game and the club they love.

Well i suppose the formation of the premier league, and more significantly the money that sky tv put into that league, was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup, even more so as time has gone on.

The game has become more about the money a club can make, rather than the memories and glory that a club can achieve by actually winning the most famous Cup in football.

When you see comments from fans these days about wanting us out of the FA Cup, or not being bothered about being knocked out, it makes me despair of what football has become.

I`ve been going down the City for 40 years, and while i`ve seen a few promotions and great games down the years,but it is still some of the old cup runs, and cup games that i remember with the greatest affection.

The FA Cup was a truly magical competition at one time, and it saddens me to see the irrelevance it is seen as, by some fans and clubs these days.

I am afraid it is how modern football is now, and as an old git, i don`t like it, but most of the younger fans don`t know any different and so are not having to leave those days behind, in order to try and carry on embracing the game and the club they love.

Agree with everything you had to say. The FA Cup final was a special occasion for football fans in the 1970s/1980s, irrespective of the teams who were involved. If your side got to Wembley it was something really special. When they introduced the play off finals at Wembley, it took away the special appeal of the FA Cup because so many teams played at Wembley. Many of my favourite City moments were matches in the FA Cup:

1974 Luton 0 Leicester 4, QPR 0 Leicester 2

1982 Leicester 3 Southampton 1, Leicester 5 Shrewsbury 2

Sky Channel 206 at 08:15.

Just watched it on ITV4.

With a sandpit for a pitch and kids running on at the end, they were different days...

And players putting some effort in and giving it their all. If our modern 'heros' had the same approach against Peterborough and Huddersfield in the last two games we would have been celebrating victories instead of abject defeats. The promise of Peake and Buchanan at the time (sadly never fulfilled) and the joy of seeing so many young players who had risen through the ranks - something that we haven't witnessed for many years.

Archived