Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BarnsleyFan

Jeffrey Schlupp, Leicester City u21's

Although the under 21 malarkey is a competition, the priority there should not be winning games; it should be used as the final stage in developing footballers capable of stepping up to senior level. The post above is quite right in saying that a rough and ready style at sub-first team levels is at least partly responsible for the failure of the England international side to achieve success. The reason that big, fast lads have been favoured in the past at these levels is that it wins games at that level. When you're at the senior level the better players are far too clever to be undone by physicality alone.

Fortunately the FA seem, belatedly, to have recognised this. Schools football is being changed significantly over the next few years. A lot of the competitiveness is being phased out and small sided football is being embraced. Hopefully our kids will learn to enjoy having the football at their feet in future.

if kids don't have the skill by 15-16 then they basically ain't going to get it so U21 doesn't make much difference its just a step up in quality, the Key is getting them comfortable passing and controlling the ball from the off, that's what the Spanish, Dutch, French and Brazilians do

Although the under 21 malarkey is a competition, the priority there should not be winning games; it should be used as the final stage in developing footballers capable of stepping up to senior level. The post above is quite right in saying that a rough and ready style at sub-first team levels is at least partly responsible for the failure of the England international side to achieve success. The reason that big, fast lads have been favoured in the past at these levels is that it wins games at that level. When you're at the senior level the better players are far too clever to be undone by physicality alone.

Fortunately the FA seem, belatedly, to have recognised this. Schools football is being changed significantly over the next few years. A lot of the competitiveness is being phased out and small sided football is being embraced. Hopefully our kids will learn to enjoy having the football at their feet in future.

Everyone who has said youth football should be about technique rather than physicality and winning the game is right in my opinion.

But...the FA were banging on about changing the ways kids play in this country 20 years ago and nothing changed. As is being proven here, the same things are being said about English players now which were being said a generation ago. If they had done as they said, then we might now be witnessing a golden generation of English players with the same technical level as Spain and Germany.

But we are not. Will we be in 2032? Time will tell but I doubt it.

Everyone who has said youth football should be about technique rather than physicality and winning the game is right in my opinion.

But...the FA were banging on about changing the ways kids play in this country 20 years ago and nothing changed. As is being proven here, the same things are being said about English players now which were being said a generation ago. If they had have done as they said, then we might now be witnessing a golden generation of English players with the same technical level as Spain and Germany.

But we are not. Will we be in 2032? Time will tell but I doubt it.

The FA is definitely moving towards changing kids' and youth football in that direction. I managed to get hold of some FA PowerPoint presentation a few months back which outlined their new policy direction, but I've got rid now. I'm sure a lot of it is public knowledge now anyway as it's all to be phased in beginning this season. One massive problem we have is the lack of coaches. I don't have the figures to hand but if you compare our numbers (they're easily found, though) to those in Spain, Germany, the Netherlands etc, it's quite embarrassing. The emphasis at Burton, as far as I've read, will be on training and coaching coaches which can only be a good thing. One of the reasons for Hodgson's appointment as England manager is that, despite his preference for a more agricultural style of football, he embraced the FA's pursuit of this new direction and committed to spending a good portion of his time at Burton.

These links provide a decent enough overview of what the FA is trying to do now:

http://www.thefa.com/News/my-football/2012/sep/kids-football-changes-bbc

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/fa-votes-for-changes-to-youth-game-that-could-end-era-of-kick-and-rush-7794109.html

I'd say it's the biggest reason of the lot, the win at all costs mentality at that kind of age is totally holding back the national team and completely limiting our potential.

It's such a waste.

The FA is definitely moving towards changing kids' and youth football in that direction. I managed to get hold of some FA PowerPoint presentation a few months back which outlined their new policy direction, but I've got rid now. I'm sure a lot of it is public knowledge now anyway as it's all to be phased in beginning this season. One massive problem we have is the lack of coaches. I don't have the figures to hand but if you compare our numbers (they're easily found, though) to those in Spain, Germany, the Netherlands etc, it's quite embarrassing. The emphasis at Burton, as far as I've read, will be on training and coaching coaches which can only be a good thing. One of the reasons for Hodgson's appointment as England manager is that, despite his preference for a more agricultural style of football, he embraced the FA's pursuit of this new direction and committed to spending a good portion of his time at Burton.

These links provide a decent enough overview of what the FA is trying to do now:

http://www.thefa.com...all-changes-bbc

http://www.independe...sh-7794109.html

Well it totally makes sense.

But, back in around 1992-93 I watched a couple of England under 18 games as Julian Joachim was playing. One game was at Walsall and someone from the FA was on the pitch at half-time explaining the way they wanted kids to be coached in the future. It was very similar to what is being proposed now.

I have no idea why it was not done back in the early 90s but the criticisms of English players are pretty much exactly the same as they were then.

If it actually does go ahead this time then it has got to be a good thing. But the FA might have to be much more aggressive in how they pursue this policy or we could have another 20 years of no progress.

Archived