Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Good finishing - what is it?

98 members have voted

1. 1. What actually is good finishing?

• Scoring
    • Being on target
    • Forcing a save

I think you're thinking about it too much, it's a football term.

Commentators say 'can he finish? no!' all the while but the co-commentator might say 'He did all the hard part but it's a poor finish' or 'his finishing let him down'. Neither are wrong. The term 'finish' is a football saying, we don't need to get into the technicaliies of the English language.

Besides, surely if somebody regularly doesn't finish something, you'd say they were bad at finishing it?

Not really, I've probably spent more time thinking about it then I probably should, but not too much, it is just an argument on semantics, but Trav's question is are our strikers poor finishers or unlucky? As I said in a previous post in this thread, we have been denied by some superb saves this season, and we seem to be constantly facing keepers having the games of their lives, or it is being cleared off the line, or hitting the post.

2 cleared off the line against Palace (one possibly handball) one off the line against Forest and a wonder save from Camp, stunning saves from Butland, Bogdan, Robinson, and the rest is that poor finishing?

Yes there are plenty of examples of poor finishing too, from Waghorn, Nuge and Vardy, but no more than anyone else, nobody scores with 100% of their shots, I still think we are playing well, and I still think we are on the verge of giving someone a hiding and there is nothing stopping us going on another winning streak, except ourselves.

So if you launch a screamer into the top right hand corner and the goalkeeper dives full length and just manges to tip it over, that's bad finishing?

It's good shooting, it's not good or bad finishing as finishing means finishing off the move and scoring. IMO finishing is a synonym of scoring.

Archived