Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Good finishing - what is it?

98 members have voted

1. 1. What actually is good finishing?

• Scoring
    • Being on target
    • Forcing a save

I might just be deluded, but for me good finishing is forcing the keeper into a save or a defender to make a lunging block. Some people on here seem to think differently, but I'd be interested to find out if I'm in the minority here.

I guess you all know why this poll is necessary.

Vote away

Scoring.

I don't care how they come aslong as they hit the back of the net and count.

It like the would you rather play well and lose or play bad and win arguement?

Play bad and win every time for me.

Playing well gets you nowhere, You need wins to move forward.

Get the wins - You focus on playing well and making it pretty when you get the wins and into the routine of winning.

So the same goes for finishing, I don't care about having umpteen amount of shots, making a Keeper force a fantastic save, hitting the target, I want goals, I want us to win the game, when we get the goals and all our strikers are scoring freeley then we can work on making it pretty.

So if you launch a screamer into the top right hand corner and the goalkeeper dives full length and just manges to tip it over, that's bad finishing?

The clue is in your question.

Has he finished? No.

He's just had an attempt.

Finishing would be scoring.

Guest DavidJCW

What a ludicrous question... finishing by definition means to arrive at or attain the end of, or to bring to a desired or required state. Loosely translated into footballing terms, scoring as that's the desired / required outcome.

So if you launch a screamer into the top right hand corner and the goalkeeper dives full length and just manges to tip it over, that's bad finishing?

fin·ish (fibreve.gifnprime.gifibreve.gifsh)

v. fin·ished, fin·ish·ing, fin·ish·es

v.tr.

1. To arrive at or attain the end of:
finish a race.

2. To bring to an end; terminate:
finished cleaning the room.

To consume all of; use up:
finish a pie.

4. To bring to a desired or required state:
finish a painting.
See Synonyms at

To give (wood, for example) a desired or particular surface texture.

To destroy; kill:
finished the injured horse with a bullet.

To bring about the ruin of:
The stock market crash finished many speculators.

v.intr.

To come to an end; stop.

2. To reach the end of a task, course, or relationship.

n.

1. The final part; the conclusion:
racers neck-and-neck at the finish.

The reason for one's ruin; downfall.

3. Something that completes, concludes, or perfects, especially:

a.
The last treatment or coating of a surface:
applied a shellac finish to the cabinet.

b.
The surface texture produced by such a treatment or coating.

c.
A material used in surfacing or finishing.

Completeness, refinement, or smoothness of execution; polish.

The flavor left in the mouth after wine has been swallowed.

No it's not bad finishing (or any other sort of finishing) It's a good attempt or effort .

Guest DavidJCW

No, but if that keeps happening and you aren't scoring for months on end... you're not going to be labelled a good finisher are you?

I honestly never knew I had such a poor grasp of the English language.

The "finish" is the last play of the attempt, be that a goal, a save, a miss, whatever.

If finishing mean, as it seems everyone is saying,actually scoring then by definition, there's no such thing as "poor finishing", since a goal is a goal.

So all the people talking about poor finishing... :dunno:

I voted scoring but obviously it depends on circumstance etc.

If someone has a go from 35 yards and a keeper gets a fingertip to touch it onto the post it's not down to bad finishing that he hasn't scored. If someone is through on goal and side foots it at the keeper you can hardly say "it's a good finish but he's got unlucky because the keeper's done well". That's bad finishing.

I voted scoring but obviously it depends on circumstance etc.

If someone has a go from 35 yards and a keeper gets a fingertip to touch it onto the post it's not down to bad finishing that he hasn't scored. If someone is through on goal and side foots it at the keeper you can hardly say "it's a good finish but he's got unlucky because the keeper's done well". That's bad finishing.

No it's not, because he hasn't finished.

The "finish" is the last play of the attempt, be that a goal, a save, a miss, whatever.

If finishing mean, as it seems everyone is saying,actually scoring then by definition, there's no such thing as "poor finishing", since a goal is a goal.

You aren't helping yourself here, good finishing = scoring a goal, poor finishing = not scoring a goal.

We tend to dither on chances particularly one on ones.

Anybody see vydras one on one yesterday, decided early and buried it. I noticed 3 times yesterday we didnt look decisive enough. Sometimes you just need to rely on your instinct but I suppose that comes with confidence.

It'll come. We are making chances which is a positive.

:D yes i see what you mean

It's reminded me of one of those long winded discussions such as asking someone if they can tell you the "correct time" .

You just want to know the "time" because if it's not the correct time you wouldn't be asking for it because there's no use knowing the incorrect time :D

Webbo painted my house.That was poor finishing?

Joke before he loses work and will throw in a free advert.

Webbo painters and decorators no job too small.

Nugent's goal against Forest . :)

surely if you don't score it's not a "finish"

Exactly, had he not scored then it would have been an attempt. But, given that he scored it was a good finish. An example of a good finisher is someone who reliably more often that not takes the chances they are presented with, and may score some more difficult attempts that others wouldn't be able to.

Archived