Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

It's about to begin again......

Personally, I do not understand why we haven't given Schlupp a bit more of a go as a winger.

Schlupp is obviously talented, I'd argue far more talented than Dyer, who is the wrong side of 30. Why he's not even got on the bench quite often this season I'm not sure.

Good points, but surely we need to keep him if the club is to progress ?

Fans are gonna criticize NP if we get rid of schlupp, and once again question his decisions.

People will begin by comparing the sales of gradel and mattock, and in reality....

- Pearson said he never wanted to get rid of either, but gradel wanted out and mattock told NP he wanted to go.

- Both of their careers have gone backwards.

We all like to see a youth product make strides in the first team, but schlupp is clearly over-rated on these boards. He may have the potential to be a top player, but we haven't seen anything yet to suggest that he will become a top player.

He is the same age as wood and keane, and a year younger than james and knocky. But has he shown himself to have a similar ability to these players...simply put...no.

Marshall and knocky are both better wingers than him, other championship youngsters like zaha and buckley are also better than him, we do overrate him massively.

I trust Pearson with any decision he makes, I don't think any other manager in this league could have transferred us to what we are now in just 12 months.

:thumbup:

Good points, but surely we need to keep him if the club is to progress ?

Again, it's not a case of keeping him - if United want him, they'll get him. We'd be complete arseholes to stand in the way of a move like this for the lad. It's like saying Southampton should have kept Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain and Schlupp isn't anywhere near their level. All we can do is try and get a half decent fee for him

I'm sure the management want to keep him at the club - he's not in the first team at the minute because, on the whole, we're performing really well. He had plenty of chances last season and made little to no impact at all, I agree he looks good at LB, but Pearson obviously prefers the experience of Konchesky in our back line and he's justified in that because we have the best defence in this league. I do think we need that experience in the team as well - him, Nugent and Morgs are the only players with real experience in the side. Konch is certainly the only player in the side with the experience of playing week in, week out in the Premier League, playing in Europe... he's been a top level performer for a long time and that's invaluable to all the young lads in the team.

If a club like Man United want Schlupp, it won't be a case of us letting him go like Gradel, it'll be a case of him getting pen to paper and getting the first train to Manchester before the ink dries - and who could blame him? He's not going because he's not getting game time here, he's going because it's ****ing Man United! They're one of the biggest clubs in the world! Like others have said, Man United can take a gamble, send him out on loan to develop, play him in cup matches etc - we're going for promotion to the PL and we need our best team out at all times, we don't have the luxury of throwing him in for experience. I hope if he does go then he'll have a decent career there - if he proves to be a success then it'll be a big boost for our academy, it'll finally mean we're doing something right; I'd love to have an academy like Southampton's, or Crewe's - consistently producing top players.

It still confuses me every time I read something that makes sense on here.

With regards to the original post - even I can't say Gradel hasn't failed upwards in his career since us. He can't cross his legs but he has somehow done well for himself.

Again, it's not a case of keeping him - if United want him, they'll get him. We'd be complete arseholes to stand in the way of a move like this for the lad. It's like saying Southampton should have kept Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain and Schlupp isn't anywhere near their level. All we can do is try and get a half decent fee for him

I understand what you are saying, it just would hurt if he turned out to be cracking winger or the such.

I understand what you are saying, it just would hurt if he turned out to be cracking winger or the such.

I'm sure it would, but equally he could turn out to be a bit of a flop and end up in the lower leagues. He's got bags of potential at the minute but he's not shown any signs of realising it so far. We can't really justify playing him in the first team week in, week out and our squad isn't big enough that we can really afford to loan him out.

It's always the way - any players that show any sign of potential are hoovered up by the big clubs - Scott Sinclair's at Man City, Zaha looks to be moving, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott... Schlupp's just another example.

At least if he goes on to be a success, it proves that our academy is doing something right. We might not be able to hold on to the prospects now, but when we reach the PL, we'll be able to develop these players ourselves. It's just not something we've got the luxury of being able to do now unfortunately.

I'm sure the management want to keep him at the club - he's not in the first team at the minute because, on the whole, we're performing really well. He had plenty of chances last season and made little to no impact at all, I agree he looks good at LB, but Pearson obviously prefers the experience of Konchesky in our back line and he's justified in that because we have the best defence in this league. I do think we need that experience in the team as well - him, Nugent and Morgs are the only players with real experience in the side. Konch is certainly the only player in the side with the experience of playing week in, week out in the Premier League, playing in Europe... he's been a top level performer for a long time and that's invaluable to all the young lads in the team.

If a club like Man United want Schlupp, it won't be a case of us letting him go like Gradel, it'll be a case of him getting pen to paper and getting the first train to Manchester before the ink dries - and who could blame him? He's not going because he's not getting game time here, he's going because it's ****ing Man United! They're one of the biggest clubs in the world! Like others have said, Man United can take a gamble, send him out on loan to develop, play him in cup matches etc - we're going for promotion to the PL and we need our best team out at all times, we don't have the luxury of throwing him in for experience. I hope if he does go then he'll have a decent career there - if he proves to be a success then it'll be a big boost for our academy, it'll finally mean we're doing something right; I'd love to have an academy like Southampton's, or Crewe's - consistently producing top players.

Fantastic post; sums it all up perfectly. Especially the highlighted sentence. You can't conclude that Schlupp is overated just because he's not getting a look in at the moment. He's just the wrong person at the wrong time for us at this particular moment. I agree with others that he was very effective at left back, esp in his linking with Dyer, but I guess experience is the factor that allowed Konch back in (I would still prefer Schlupp there). Also, he may be to some extent a victim of his own versatility, probably viewed by NP as a utility player who hasn't had enough opportunity to make any specific role his own this season.

Schlupp could turn into our next Heskey if he stays, or he could turn into our next Jon Stephenson. Who knows? Who cares? He's not in the first team and wont be anytime soon.

Man Utd you dont turn down. I've no idea why they'd want Jeff as he's not shown any kind of form as a striker and I cant believe that 3 games at left back have sparked interest?? But whatever it is, I hope if he goes he becomes the best player in the Premiership with them. No bitterness towards that happening but equally i'd be happy if he stayed.

Comes down to this.

He can't break into our team and is only on the fringes. You can agree or disagree with that but he has a call from Man Utd. So as a young professional who's reserve team offer you more chance of seriously unlocking and developing your potential? Not to mention size of the club / wages etc. It would be wrong to deny him the chance.

If we were letting him go to a championship club or even a lesser Premier team I would feel different about it.

Fans are gonna criticize NP if we get rid of schlupp, and once again question his decisions.

People will begin by comparing the sales of gradel and mattock, and in reality....

- Pearson said he never wanted to get rid of either, but gradel wanted out and mattock told NP he wanted to go.

- Both of their careers have gone backwards.

We all like to see a youth product make strides in the first team, but schlupp is clearly over-rated on these boards. He may have the potential to be a top player, but we haven't seen anything yet to suggest that he will become a top player.

He is the same age as wood and keane, and a year younger than james and knocky. But has he shown himself to have a similar ability to these players...simply put...no.

Marshall and knocky are both better wingers than him, other championship youngsters like zaha and buckley are also better than him, we do overrate him massively.

I trust Pearson with any decision he makes, I don't think any other manager in this league could have transferred us to what we are now in just 12 months.

I've not heard many folk moaning about Mattock's departure - and you're mentioning him was the first time i've given him a thought in months.

As for Gradel wanting to leave you have to ask why? And from what he said first hand he couldn't understand why he was forever being left out of the side.

Whether there were other factors concerning his family situation I don't know but Pearson often left him out and has done exactly the same with Schlupp despite his showing such promise. And when Pearson leaves people out it's almost like they're sent into footballing exile. He doesn't keep them involved with 20 minute cameos - he sits em on the bench and they hardly play at all.

As for comparing Gradel to Knockaert and Marshall, recent performances suggest you might be right about Knockaert and that he's growing out of his cul-de-sac football and starting to look much more a team player, to make better decisions and to look genuinely dangerous.

I wouldn't say the same about Marshall. He has his moments yes, but generally he's a disappointment to me, particularly when the opposition close us down quickly.

As for Schlupp. he seems to have a wonderful opportunity and the perfect incentive to make the most of his talent with the benefit of an excellent example in Patrice Evra to presumably help him. I'm pleased for him and wish him the best. I just think it a pity we weren't able to give him his finishing touches...and not for the first time.

...we're going for promotion to the PL and we need our best team out at all times, we don't have the luxury of throwing him in for experience.

And that sums up the problem of adding the finishing touches to Academy players - there is always massive pressure from the owners to get results quickly and using kids represents big risk.

And the difference between Ferguson and the also rans of management is that he really has got the strength of personality to take those risks and to show faith in people - and has had since long before he became a legend. He's doing it now with Cleverley and how many other young players has he brought through.

Even Cristiano Ronaldo was developed beyond recognition under Ferguson's management, going from being a promising talent who made so many bad decisions to being a singularly ruthlessprofessional who scored and made goals for fun.

I take your point about Konchesky's experience. to a great extent he's been good for Leicester and i've never argued for his replacement. But Schlupp didn't need to go from active to passive either. He showed a huge amount of promise and i don't believe it would have weakened our team at all to have kept him involved. Especially in the grotty spell before Wood's arrival but for the rest of the time too.

Even ignoring tight games there were plenty of chances to involve him and give him more experience, although I didn't ever see him as a "risk" option anyway and would have been happy to see him playing in any circumstances because he seemed every bit as capable and reliable as anyone else.

It would be a shame to see Schlupp go from Leicester but let's hope its all just rumours and he is given a chance either upfront or in defence- I haven't rated Konchesky this season or late last season, maybe it's time for NP to give Schlupp another chance

Archived