Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
blueblood88

The Run In

Hi all, I think after watching the Wolves v Watford game last night, although they only drew, Watford are the team that will take 2nd spot. I resigned myself to the fact that it would be play-offs agin for us a couple of games back, if I'm honest. Now, I have worked out that 6 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats from our final 13 games will see us finish on 79 points, which, given recent seasons, would see you finish in 3rd or 4th place. I think, given a monumental fvck up, we will finish in the top six. I'm just wondering how you lot think we will do in the play-offs? I know a lot of it comes down to who has the best momentum etc. so we will get a better idea after the round of 46 games, but just your opinions on how the season has gone so far.

I start every season expecting to see Leicester win the league but I am pretty used to being disappointed, so I will handle this well enough.

If we go on a decent run, then second place is still well within our reach. Let's not forget we have two games in hand over Watford in second and are still to play them. This relies on us winning all three of these important games and keeping pace with Watford for the other games. It also assumes no other well placed club hits a rich vein of form.

I think it is around 60% probable we will end up in the playoffs. I'm not viewing this as too disappointing because Pearson has laboured with a hangover from the poor squad mentality from the previous season. We still have many players at the club who the manager deemed to be disruptive elements. These have been sent out on loan but getting shot of them permanently is going to take at least another transfer window.

While getting rid of the dead wood, Pearson has begun to build a young, talented team who can only get better. This season has turned out to be more of a 'transitional season' than I believed it would be at the start of the season. We still have two shots at getting promoted, either by finishing second or by winning the playoffs.

So in my humble opinion, this season has been pretty good and the future looks good.

Don't see how the Watford v Wolves game expands your fears that we will not get an automatic playoff position. If anything, it shows that all the teams in the hunt will drop points, even against poor teams. Previous to last night we had to win our games in hand AND 2nd position needed to lose for us to get in there. Now we only have to win our games in hand. So we're in a better position. Whilst I wouldn't say I'm confident, I feel we've got our best chance in years. It's almost certainly going to be one of Watford/Hull/Palace/Us - there's little to choose between us and it might just come down to the rub of the green in the end.

Bit of a depressing attitude that! We are 6 points behind with 2 games in hand but still have all our closest rivals bar Hull to play. Pretty much in our own hands still and lots of unexpected dropped points to come.

Bit of a depressing attitude that! We are 6 points behind with 2 games in hand but still have all our closest rivals bar Hull to play. Pretty much in our own hands still and lots of unexpected dropped points to come.

Cardiff,Brighton & Palace are all away.

Unless we improve our away form are there grounds for optimism?

Couldn't agree more. People seem to be getting carried away with the form of other teams but so long as we maintain decent form, our chances of securing autos will be decided by whether or not we beat Cardiff, Brighton, Palace, and Watford. If we get a decent return from these games I think we'll definitely go up as 2nd irrespective of whether or not we lose other games along the way. To be honest if we lose those games then clearly we aren't good enough to secure automatic promotion, it's as simple as that.

Back yourself. Leads to a lot less stress worrying about others.

I agree, at least our destiny is in our hands. Would hate to be in our position having already played all the teams around us, relying upon teams like Barnsley, Peterborough and Bristol City to beat our challengers just to give us any chance of automatic promotion.

I've been saying that Watford are the team for second. They should have won yesterday, and some of the stuff they played was real good. However, a win today and we are only three points behind them with a game in hand. It's better than I actually thought, after looking at the league table earlier.

It isn't over yet.

I don't think it's difficult to see why Watford have done well. They pack the midfield, keep the ball on the deck and first half last night, looked like the home side.

Credit to Zola for this, I think it's more about how they are playing than about them having particularly good players.

There's a fascinating difference in playing styles between Zola and Pearson. Nige sticks with the solid and usually the 4-4-2, grinding sides down with some flair too.

Zola gets the ball forward really quickly, hitting on the counter.

For me, it shows how good Zola could be as a manager if he were leading a really good bunch of players.

The interesting thing last night was how much better Wolves looked when they really tried to take the game to Watford. Once put on the back foot, the team that was slicing through the opposition in the first half suddenly started to give the ball away.

Cardiff,Brighton & Palace are all away.

Unless we improve our away form are there grounds for optimism?

The good thing about playing these teams away is that they will NOT play 11 men behind the ball. When we have an open game I'll take us over anyone. We could lose all 3 but I wouldn't be surprised to pick up 9 points from the 3 games.

I've been saying that Watford are the team for second. They should have won yesterday, and some of the stuff they played was real good. However, a win today and we are only three points behind them with a game in hand. It's better than I actually thought, after looking at the league table earlier.

It isn't over yet.

Every team says that but in the end it's about what you do not what you should have done.

Archived