Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Why I Want Pearson To Stay.

Okay, I'll put my head above the parapet.

I want Pearson to stay because he has put together a young team with potential. A team which, should any other manager come in, will no doubt be ripped apart. No, it's not perfect and yes, it needs adding to, but clearly this season NFP has been told to tighten the purse strings. Anyone who has said we were "buying the league" has clearly been talking our their arse - that was Watford's task, yet strangely the Southern-biased press keep curiously quiet about that. It has been the inexperience and youth of the team that has been our downfall. None of our players are "bad" players, some are getting past it or in need of tweek here or there, but most of them will only get better as they learn to cope with differing strategies or getting your head right when you lose a few games on the bounce. To play clever in essence, which only comes with experience.

Many of this seasons loses and draws have been fine margins. Last night's game was a good example. For the sake of a wonder goal that would have been in row Z 99 times out of 100 and a penalty shout that would have been given as often as not, we would have won 2-1. We weren't "played off the park" as some people are suggesting - when you're played off the park you don't lose by one goal. If anything, Watford have underachieved hugely this season, playing to the letter of the laws, rather than the spirit of them, with their plethora of foreign imports. Next year they will be a completely different team. Only once have we been beaten by more than one goal in the Championship, which means that the real frustration is that good results have been tantalisingly close. I'm not saying that we've never deserved to lose, because on some days we have been woefully bad - but then so has every team. At times we have been majestic, which shows our potential.

I don't buy the "other teams have found us out" - it suggests that every single team in the Championship in February suddenly had a lightbulb come on in their heads and went "SO THAT'S HOW WE BEAT LEICESTER!" or that managers were passing around tips on bits of paper or sending coded e-mails to each other. "Psssst, you playing the Foxes on Tuesday night? Here's what to do." To suggest such is incredibly naive and Skinneresque (was it him who said it first?) The problems have been with ourselves and our confidence, which is largely down to our youth. Yes, it should have been addressed, but as an intangible thing, it's one of the most difficult things to do, short of brainwashing your own players.

Lastly, even if Peason wasn't manager and it was someone else, I still wouldn't want him sacked. I'm fed up of the managerial merry-go-round. Why? Oh sorry, I forgot, Bolton, Palace, Forest have all sacked their managers mid-season and shot up the league. As have Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley and Bristol City... so naturally, replacing your manager is gauranteed success. We've had 11 managers (if you count NFP twice) in 10 years and where has that got us? Exactly.

Maybe it's time we tried something different?

I really do think this is one of the most ill conceived posts I've read on here in a very long time.

I'll tell you why... It's full of assumptions...

1. You say that our youthful squad can only get better. Well, yes, they could do.. But the evidence this season is that the bulk of them have got worse. Knocky, Wood, Drinky, Vardy, Waghorn.. To name but five, are not playing anywhere near as well now as they were at Christmas.

2. You also say that we haven't been found out by other teams. Again, how the Fook do you know that? Are you a scout? It's the job of scouts and personnel at clubs to watch other teams play, study their tactics, identify their key players etc etc. it's therefore highly probable that YES other clubs did study how we were playing and adjusted accordingly.

3. It's a points game. Points make prizes lol. A loss is a loss. It's a futile argument to bleat that've only lost by one goal' or that 'we should have won such and such a game'.

We didn't.. End of.

4. This whole consistency argument is old hat. Bolton changed their manager and look where they are. So did Forest. Bruce, Zola have had less time in their jobs than Pearson.. Look where they are. McCarthy at Ipswich.. Look how they've done.

If a manager is GOOD ENOUGH, he'll be good enough in the shorter-term. I never once thought, for example, that Dean Saunders was 'good enough' to manage Wolves. However, I did consider that Billy Davies was 'good enough' to improve Forest. Catch my drift?

It's a reflection of some of the posters on this forum that they agree with your OP. I think it's ill conceived and, to me, doesn't make much sense.

Pearson can still do it, we can still do it.. But if anyone can genuinely think that this has proven to be a 'good season', given everything that's gone on, you need to take a look at yourselves.

Personally, I reckon that top two this year was there for the taking. With a better manager at the helm I think we'd have been pretty much home and dry already, not having to desperately scratch around for results and hoping other sides lose.

If you want to 'put your head above the parapet', (impressive?) at least make sure you've considered what you're gonna write, because, to me, it comes across as yet another series of excuses. There's been 10 years worth of excuses now.. That's too long for an great club like ours.

IMO.

Agree with the OP entirely, this summer was spent trying to get rid of a pile of wank players, a summer spent purely building on the great team we already have is exactly what we need. Considering the age of our players, one more year in the championship would most likely give us a better chance when we do eventually get up.

Nicely put mate, I agree, chopping and changing is going to get us nowhere, we're building...if we don't make the top 6 let's add to the young side next season, some people r so narrow minded in that all they see (or want to see) is the last 2/3 months, before that we were playing some great footy & getting results, there's no reason we can't get back to that with a few improvements in the summer:) UTF!!

If there were signs that we were improving, then I would be more then happy to keep Pearson on.

As it is though, in recent months we seem to be going backwards, and there doesn't seem to be much sign that we are stopping that from happening.

I really do think this is one of the most ill conceived posts I've read on here in a very long time.

I'll tell you why... It's full of assumptions...

1. You say that our youthful squad can only get better. Well, yes, they could do.. But the evidence this season is that the bulk of them have got worse. Knocky, Wood, Drinky, Vardy, Waghorn.. To name but five, are not playing anywhere near as well now as they were at Christmas.

2. You also say that we haven't been found out by other teams. Again, how the Fook do you know that? Are you a scout? It's the job of scouts and personnel at clubs to watch other teams play, study their tactics, identify their key players etc etc. it's therefore highly probable that YES other clubs did study how we were playing and adjusted accordingly.

3. It's a points game. Points make prizes lol. A loss is a loss. It's a futile argument to bleat that've only lost by one goal' or that 'we should have won such and such a game'.

We didn't.. End of.

4. This whole consistency argument is old hat. Bolton changed their manager and look where they are. So did Forest. Bruce, Zola have had less time in their jobs than Pearson.. Look where they are. McCarthy at Ipswich.. Look how they've done.

If a manager is GOOD ENOUGH, he'll be good enough in the shorter-term. I never once thought, for example, that Dean Saunders was 'good enough' to manage Wolves. However, I did consider that Billy Davies was 'good enough' to improve Forest. Catch my drift?

It's a reflection of some of the posters on this forum that they agree with your OP. I think it's ill conceived and, to me, doesn't make much sense.

Pearson can still do it, we can still do it.. But if anyone can genuinely think that this has proven to be a 'good season', given everything that's gone on, you need to take a look at yourselves.

Personally, I reckon that top two this year was there for the taking. With a better manager at the helm I think we'd have been pretty much home and dry already, not having to desperately scratch around for results and hoping other sides lose.

If you want to 'put your head above the parapet', (impressive?) at least make sure you've considered what you're gonna write, because, to me, it comes across as yet another series of excuses. There's been 10 years worth of excuses now.. That's too long for an great club like ours.

IMO.

Sensibly put... time the apologist took a good hard luck at themselves. I am tired of being slated for wanting a change and called disloyal, not a fan etc... I am happy to put my LCFC supporting CV out there to prove the point but NP has been found wanting lots of the players have gone backwards under his coaching.. so as said Bye Bye NP

Sensibly put... time the apologist took a good hard luck at themselves. I am tired of being slated for wanting a change and called disloyal, not a fan etc... I am happy to put my LCFC supporting CV out there to prove the point but NP has been found wanting lots of the players have gone backwards under his coaching.. so as said Bye Bye NP

Well there's plenty of us who are tired of being slated for wanting consistency and taking a less reactionary approach. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Our record since January has been relegation form.

The team has gone backwards and NP has been unable to reverse that slide.

I doubt the owners will share the patience of OP and others.

Yup. deadman walking...

Archived