Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Why I Want Pearson To Stay.

Okay, I'll put my head above the parapet.

I want Pearson to stay because he has put together a young team with potential. A team which, should any other manager come in, will no doubt be ripped apart. No, it's not perfect and yes, it needs adding to, but clearly this season NFP has been told to tighten the purse strings. Anyone who has said we were "buying the league" has clearly been talking our their arse - that was Watford's task, yet strangely the Southern-biased press keep curiously quiet about that. It has been the inexperience and youth of the team that has been our downfall. None of our players are "bad" players, some are getting past it or in need of tweek here or there, but most of them will only get better as they learn to cope with differing strategies or getting your head right when you lose a few games on the bounce. To play clever in essence, which only comes with experience.

Many of this seasons loses and draws have been fine margins. Last night's game was a good example. For the sake of a wonder goal that would have been in row Z 99 times out of 100 and a penalty shout that would have been given as often as not, we would have won 2-1. We weren't "played off the park" as some people are suggesting - when you're played off the park you don't lose by one goal. If anything, Watford have underachieved hugely this season, playing to the letter of the laws, rather than the spirit of them, with their plethora of foreign imports. Next year they will be a completely different team. Only once have we been beaten by more than one goal in the Championship, which means that the real frustration is that good results have been tantalisingly close. I'm not saying that we've never deserved to lose, because on some days we have been woefully bad - but then so has every team. At times we have been majestic, which shows our potential.

I don't buy the "other teams have found us out" - it suggests that every single team in the Championship in February suddenly had a lightbulb come on in their heads and went "SO THAT'S HOW WE BEAT LEICESTER!" or that managers were passing around tips on bits of paper or sending coded e-mails to each other. "Psssst, you playing the Foxes on Tuesday night? Here's what to do." To suggest such is incredibly naive and Skinneresque (was it him who said it first?) The problems have been with ourselves and our confidence, which is largely down to our youth. Yes, it should have been addressed, but as an intangible thing, it's one of the most difficult things to do, short of brainwashing your own players.

Lastly, even if Peason wasn't manager and it was someone else, I still wouldn't want him sacked. I'm fed up of the managerial merry-go-round. Why? Oh sorry, I forgot, Bolton, Palace, Forest have all sacked their managers mid-season and shot up the league. As have Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley and Bristol City... so naturally, replacing your manager is gauranteed success. We've had 11 managers (if you count NFP twice) in 10 years and where has that got us? Exactly.

Maybe it's time we tried something different?

It's nice to look at the positives and try and find an argument for keeping Pearson ,however, why take a risk with him next season after what has happened this season. This season indicates that he is not good enough..MacKay , Bruce and Zola have all progressed well in the championship and neither have been in their positions long. I think we need a new manager mor than we need Pearson

Why does everyone assume a new manager will rip the side apart ? If god forbid Pearson stays he will need to make some changes, a new manager will do exactly the same thing but hopefully will get better players and also get the best out of what he already has. Pearson has under achieved this season as has his squad time for someone else to have a go. We are looking worse now than any time Since Sousa was here and are making no progress, the last 18 games have been shocking results wise we are getting worse not better.

Why does everyone assume a new manager will rip the side apart ? If god forbid Pearson stays he will need to make some changes, a new manager will do exactly the same thing but hopefully will get better players and also get the best out of what he already has. Pearson has under achieved this season as has his squad time for someone else to have a go. We are looking worse now than any time Since Sousa was here and are making no progress, the last 18 games have been shocking results wise we are getting worse not better.

Totally agree...it's surprises me how people try to defend a manager that has won 2 in his last 16!!!

I just don't get it!

Watford side is younger than ours.

Every side has 'potential' we've managed to get worse, both individually and collectively, the longer the season has gone on. That's no source of optimism.

If we're blaming 'youthful inexperience' for our demise we're getting desperate.

Kasper is 26 with over 100 first team apps.

Konchesky over 300 apps

Morgan 400 apps

King 200 apps

Dyer 200+ apps

Wood 100+ apps

Over half that side have experience the others have been 'raised' at one of the biggest clubs in the world and Knockaert played a lot in France.

You have some valid points but the reasons you give for our failings should have been addressed by the manager. We do have some promising young players but there is no guarantee they will get better, chances are some will, some won't, but he was backed well financially, not to the silly levels of Sven, but I would expect the largest wage bill by some margin, yet we lacked in so many departments. People remember the 5 game run, but forget we were not that good against wolves and middlesborough, lost the next 3 games, as well as a poor start to the season before we even look at the disastrous end to the season. I don't doubt Pearson and/or Walsh have an eye for talented youngsters, but his man management, tactical, motivational and technical skills seem to be seriously lacking, and for larger chunks of the season he just stands there when all is going wrong. Teams did learn, especially at the KP to flood the midfield where we were weak anyway, and we had no answer. Ask yourself how many players have improved under him this season? Maybe he better suits being a scout? We have 'so far' lost 16 games, only 2 less than we have won and that could well be 1 game by next weekend, that isn't a good team, its an average team, in fact without that 5 game run we could all have been worrying about a relegation scrap. Its all well and good saying, if he signs an experienced midfielder or a new left back, but ask yourself why didn't he do that last summer or Jan window, as it was obvious to all. Would we have made the play offs with experience like Danns and SSL in the team if his ego wasn't in the way, we will never know, but IMO the energy and goals of Danns, and the experience of SSL would have have turned some draws into wins and some defeats into draws. He has too many flaws to expect anything better next season from him, Hull hardly suffered when he left did they. A new manager is always a gamble, but I think keeping NFP is a far bigger one.

Why does everyone assume a new manager will rip the side apart ?

Because unless you've had your head wedged up your arse for the last 10 years we've got experience to suggest that it will.

Oh and Trav that's a very good post. Can see why you've wandered back to the safe house though. Level headed posts aren't welcome round these parts :D

Get orf our land!

I was quite happy to support NFP earlier this season, our young (mostly) side showed considerable promise in the first weeks, then with Knockaert fully integrated into the side, went on an excellent run that took us top of the table. But since then........ :o

Changing tactics to to make us 'more solid' was a big mistake in terms of team play, compounded by going even more defensive when our attempts to contain the opposition backfired. Despite our concentration on defence we are still unable to defend corners or set pieces and that cost us on saturday, on top of that we still allow our keeper to give the ball away on a regular basis. I could go on...... :whistle:

Furthermore our attacking and creative players have all 'gone backwards' during the course of the season, Knockaert is a shadow of the player we saw in the autumn, Marshall is so tied up with defending and 'keeping our shape' that he has forgotten how to attack, Nugent seems distracted and disinterested and even the normally clinical finishing we are used to seeing from King has largely disappeared.

These slumps in performance are, to my mind, too similar to be coincidental, even Wood seems to be regressing in the short time he has been with us (he was our worse player on Saturday) and I have to put this down to the management team.

Much as I hate the whole, new manager > new players > time to gel > wasted season merry go round I fear that we are going nowhere under NFP's archaic style and tactics, just lood at the difference in playing styles on saturday....... :dunno:

I want Pearson to stay because he has put together a young team with potential. A team which, should any other manager come in, will no doubt be ripped apart. No, it's not perfect and yes, it needs adding to, but clearly this season NFP has been told to tighten the purse strings. Anyone who has said we were "buying the league" has clearly been talking our their arse - that was Watford's task, yet strangely the Southern-biased press keep curiously quiet about that. It has been the inexperience and youth of the team that has been our downfall. None of our players are "bad" players, some are getting past it or in need of tweek here or there, but most of them will only get better as they learn to cope with differing strategies or getting your head right when you lose a few games on the bounce. To play clever in essence, which only comes with experience.

Many of this seasons loses and draws have been fine margins. Last night's game was a good example. For the sake of a wonder goal that would have been in row Z 99 times out of 100 and a penalty shout that would have been given as often as not, we would have won 2-1. We weren't "played off the park" as some people are suggesting - when you're played off the park you don't lose by one goal. If anything, Watford have underachieved hugely this season, playing to the letter of the laws, rather than the spirit of them, with their plethora of foreign imports. Next year they will be a completely different team. Only once have we been beaten by more than one goal in the Championship, which means that the real frustration is that good results have been tantalisingly close. I'm not saying that we've never deserved to lose, because on some days we have been woefully bad - but then so has every team. At times we have been majestic, which shows our potential.

I don't buy the "other teams have found us out" - it suggests that every single team in the Championship in February suddenly had a lightbulb come on in their heads and went "SO THAT'S HOW WE BEAT LEICESTER!" or that managers were passing around tips on bits of paper or sending coded e-mails to each other. "Psssst, you playing the Foxes on Tuesday night? Here's what to do." To suggest such is incredibly naive and Skinneresque (was it him who said it first?) The problems have been with ourselves and our confidence, which is largely down to our youth. Yes, it should have been addressed, but as an intangible thing, it's one of the most difficult things to do, short of brainwashing your own players.

Lastly, even if Peason wasn't manager and it was someone else, I still wouldn't want him sacked. I'm fed up of the managerial merry-go-round. Why? Oh sorry, I forgot, Bolton, Palace, Forest have all sacked their managers mid-season and shot up the league. As have Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley and Bristol City... so naturally, replacing your manager is gauranteed success. We've had 11 managers (if you count NFP twice) in 10 years and where has that got us? Exactly.

I don't give a fvck, Pearson will be SACKED because he didnot/ will not reach the goal of Promotion. Not even making the top 6..well you can go and fvck yourself!!!!!

Good, well reasoned post. However, I just think np can't motivate/inspire the players often enough to maintain the consistency needed. We' ve played some great football at times, but had too many games where we were too soft. I was only able to get to Millwall away and Ipswich away, and both games came away thinking we'd been better by teams with inferior players but who played for their managers and team mates. Don' like the upheaval and risk of a change, but think its time.

Crap...

Yet another cop out.

The season has been a huge failure, just like last season.

Not even making play offs given the position we were in is ridiculous.

As well we all know..

Because unless you've had your head wedged up your arse for the last 10 years we've got experience to suggest that it will.

Oh and Trav that's a very good post. Can see why you've wandered back to the safe house though. Level headed posts aren't welcome round these parts :D

Get orf our land!

That just show we have picked the wrong managers for 10 years then, on recent performances this team needs ripping apart anyway so it may not be a bad thing ,

This Pearson love in is just embarrassing now he has done nothing to deserve it and no my head isn't wedged up anyone's arse especially not Nige's

Every side has 'potential' we've managed to get worse, both individually and collectively, the longer the season has gone on. That's no source of optimism.

If we're blaming 'youthful inexperience' for our demise we're getting desperate.

Konchesky over 300 apps

Morgan 400 apps

King 200 apps

Dyer 200+ apps

Wood 100+ apps

Over half that side have experience the others have been 'raised' at one of the biggest clubs in the world and Knockaert played a lot in France.

No it isn't. We have the 3rd youngest squad in the whole Football League behind Peterborough and Crewe.

That just show we have picked the wrong managers for 10 years then, on recent performances this team needs ripping apart anyway so it may not be a bad thing ,

This Pearson love in is just embarrassing now he has done nothing to deserve it and no my head isn't wedged up anyone's arse especially not Nige's

So we should pick another manager and potentially continue that cycle again or stick with a bloke who's built a team capable of some absolutely brilliant football and give him the chance to develop more consistency on that front?

Bet you weren't complaining when we were on that decent run earlier in the season.

Nobody in their right mind is defending the recent run of form, but some of us are able to take a more objective view of the season and Pearsons second tenure overall.

I've got my arse wedged firmly on the fence.

I was a fan of NP until our shit run since Feb, and I can still see reasons why he could lead us to success should he be here next season. As Trav said, this is a young squad, and I think it's likely they will have learnt a lot from this campaign. I can also see the squad improving a lot with a few transfers in and out.

At the beginning of this season, NP surprised me with his change of approach to tactics. The team played some great football, and looked like worthy promotion contenders at times. If only we could have kept that up for the whole season, I reckon we would have made the autos, and we would have deserved it. People will rightly argue that he should have learnt already, but if he can change his philosophy, as he did last pre-season, then there's reason to believe he can again this time.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any way anyone could defend the horrible back end of the season, and it's easy to see why people want to see changes.

Judging from NP's interview last night, I reckon he'll be gone soon. The end of the season was a disaster, but the season as a whole certainly wasn't. I think there were enough positives to finally give stability a chance. FFP could force the owners' hand and make them consider avoiding a costly firing and hiring of managers, but I doubt it.

Konchesky over 300 apps

Morgan 400 apps

King 200 apps

Dyer 200+ apps

Wood 100+ apps

Watford's side isn't Watford's side. It's Udinese's, Granada's, Chelsea's and Fulham's.

No it isn't. We have the 3rd youngest squad in the whole Football League behind Peterborough and Crewe.

Last night's "ages"

Leicester 26 24 31 29 20 24 30 21 21 21 20 = av 24

Watford 35 30 27 35 18 24 24 25 26 24 20 = av 26

last nights apps in UK

Leicester 233 61 428 425 21 217 51 334 44 137 48 = 181 apps

Watford 152 364 36 38 37 31 107 36 37 251 38 = 102 apps.

Only TWO of our players (Keane and Knockaert) have played less than a season of UK football, 7 of Watford's have played less than a full season of UK football.

We're not too young, we're not too inexperienced we're just not playing well enough.

Last night's "ages"

Leicester 26 24 31 29 20 24 30 21 21 21 20 = av 24

Watford 35 30 27 35 18 24 24 25 26 24 20 = av 26

last nights apps in UK

Leicester 233 61 428 425 21 217 51 334 44 137 48 = 181 apps

Watford 152 364 36 38 37 31 107 36 37 251 38 = 102 apps.

Only TWO of our players (Keane and Knockaert) have played less than a season of UK football, 7 of Watford's have played less than a full season of UK football.

We're not too young, we're not too inexperienced we're just not playing well enough.

Don't really get why you quoted me :dunno: . You've just proved that we have a younger team which is what I said.

I will add however, that I think because of that inexperience and added pressure we have struggled to cope with it which is why we've underperfomed. On our day, we're the best team in this league but that's on our day and we've been far too inconsistent.

Archived