Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Why I Want Pearson To Stay.

IMVVHO,

Well looking at some of the names banded about as replacements i think some of us need to be careful what we wish for. Perhaps another season at this level gives us more time to model a team with a chance of going up and staying up. We still need to ship some players out and cut the wage bill.

Don't really get why you quoted me :dunno: . You've just proved that we have a younger team which is what I said.

I will add however, that I think because of that inexperience and added pressure we have struggled to cope with it which is why we've underperfomed. On our day, we're the best team in this league but that's on our day and we've been far too inconsistent.

But we're more 'experienced' than Watford in terms of playing English league football! People are advocating time to build. That Watford side shows Rome can be built in a day. We can't even build Rotherham.

But we're more 'experienced' than Watford in terms of playing English league football! People are advocating time to build. That Watford side shows Rome can be built in a day. We can't even build Rotherham.

But we're not as experienced in terms of overall football time which is what is more important.

Okay, I'll put my head above the parapet.

I want Pearson to stay because he has put together a young team with potential. A team which, should any other manager come in, will no doubt be ripped apart. No, it's not perfect and yes, it needs adding to, but clearly this season NFP has been told to tighten the purse strings. Anyone who has said we were "buying the league" has clearly been talking our their arse - that was Watford's task, yet strangely the Southern-biased press keep curiously quiet about that. It has been the inexperience and youth of the team that has been our downfall. None of our players are "bad" players, some are getting past it or in need of tweek here or there, but most of them will only get better as they learn to cope with differing strategies or getting your head right when you lose a few games on the bounce. To play clever in essence, which only comes with experience.

Many of this seasons loses and draws have been fine margins. Last night's game was a good example. For the sake of a wonder goal that would have been in row Z 99 times out of 100 and a penalty shout that would have been given as often as not, we would have won 2-1. We weren't "played off the park" as some people are suggesting - when you're played off the park you don't lose by one goal. If anything, Watford have underachieved hugely this season, playing to the letter of the laws, rather than the spirit of them, with their plethora of foreign imports. Next year they will be a completely different team. Only once have we been beaten by more than one goal in the Championship, which means that the real frustration is that good results have been tantalisingly close. I'm not saying that we've never deserved to lose, because on some days we have been woefully bad - but then so has every team. At times we have been majestic, which shows our potential.

I don't buy the "other teams have found us out" - it suggests that every single team in the Championship in February suddenly had a lightbulb come on in their heads and went "SO THAT'S HOW WE BEAT LEICESTER!" or that managers were passing around tips on bits of paper or sending coded e-mails to each other. "Psssst, you playing the Foxes on Tuesday night? Here's what to do." To suggest such is incredibly naive and Skinneresque (was it him who said it first?) The problems have been with ourselves and our confidence, which is largely down to our youth. Yes, it should have been addressed, but as an intangible thing, it's one of the most difficult things to do, short of brainwashing your own players.

Lastly, even if Peason wasn't manager and it was someone else, I still wouldn't want him sacked. I'm fed up of the managerial merry-go-round. Why? Oh sorry, I forgot, Bolton, Palace, Forest have all sacked their managers mid-season and shot up the league. As have Wolves, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Barnsley and Bristol City... so naturally, replacing your manager is gauranteed success. We've had 11 managers (if you count NFP twice) in 10 years and where has that got us? Exactly.

Maybe it's time we tried something different?

blah blah blah blah blah boring

But we're not as experienced in terms of overall football time which is what is more important.

Why is it?

We chose to assemble a 'youthful' squad at some considerable expense with the expressed aim of promotion. With one game to go that is looking increasingly unlikely. That policy is down to one man who came back last season to gain promotion last season.

Zola arrived this season, borrowed players from all over Europe and sits third in the same league.

Why is it?

We chose to assemble a 'youthful' squad at some considerable expense with the expressed aim of promotion. With one game to go that is looking increasingly unlikely. That policy is down to one man who came back last season to gain promotion last season.

Zola arrived this season, borrowed players from all over Europe and sits third in the same league.

Yes, but we aren't owned by a family that owns two other big European club, we can't exactly borrow any player we fancy. Plus the squad situation could be solved with a couple of experienced leader type players.

Think IF NP had got us into the play offs and failed he may have been given another season, however, it's looking more than likely we'll fall short and therefore not getting into the play offs will be classed as failure and I think he will leave. I posted in January and suggested if we weren't careful we would follow the Forest model of a couple of years ago and run out of steam as we needed to strengthen in the January transfer window. Whilst Wood was added, 2 or 3 more quality signing may have made the difference. I still stand by that theory and whilst it is not easy to pick up quality in January, other teams seemed to add to their squads and pushed on (Hull, Bolton, Forest)

Yes, but we aren't owned by a family that owns two other big European club, we can't exactly borrow any player we fancy. Plus the squad situation could be solved with a couple of experienced leader type players.

I think Grenada is stretching the credibility of 'big European' club

I don't buy the "other teams have found us out" - it suggests that every single team in the Championship in February suddenly had a lightbulb come on in their heads and went "SO THAT'S HOW WE BEAT LEICESTER!" or that managers were passing around tips on bits of paper or sending coded e-mails to each other. "Psssst, you playing the Foxes on Tuesday night? Here's what to do." To suggest such is incredibly naive and Skinneresque (was it him who said it first?) The problems have been with ourselves and our confidence, which issues largely down to our youth. Yes, it should have been addressed, but as an intangible thing, it's one of the most difficult things to do, short of brainwashing your own players.

I'll address that, no one's saying that's what's happened but football managers s aren't stupid. How many games have followed this patern: We start brightly, keep the ball well, create lots of chances, hardly let the opposition out of their half and look for all the world like we're going to take the points... then around the thirty minute mark, our players start to tire and lose a little belief, all of a sudden we're playing Brazil. Maybe managers in this league have individually come to the conclusion that the best way to play us is to let us tire ourselves out before choosing the right moment to get forward.

Well they're obviously good enough to give Watford players that have helped them achieved a top three finish.

Here's the big question - IF we beat Forest, and somehow win the play-offs, would Pearson still keep his job? I'm not so sure.

Even then, he was given two aims at the start of the season; reduce the wage bill, and play-offs/promotion. One he has achieved, one it appears not. So which is the lesser evil, and do the owners see progress? I think we have undoubtedly progressed, but not as far as we should have. We're making the same mistakes, the same lack of concentration all season - that is a management issue.

I personally don't want Pearson to be sacked, as I can see what he's trying to do and I support it. I would, however, not be mortified if we was sacked, and I would understand the reasoning. My only question would be - who exactly do you bring in?

I have no axe to grind either way but once it's confirmed that we haven't got promoted he will be gone FACT

If you want to continue the debate on wether that is right or wrong then fine

If you notice just about every new player that came into the team / squad started off really well and had an immediate impact on how the team played and therefore our results. They have all eventually gone backwards.

That is a result of things not going well behind the scenes and / or on the training ground.

Yes, he did well in Jan, but sadly football seasons last longer than one month.

Yes. So perhaps those clamouring for his dismissal should also adopt a longer term view.

Given that Grenada is an island in the caribbean, I think you are most likely right.

Granada is a beautiful city in the Sierra Nevada, we often stay there when we go snowboarding........ :thumbup:

Yes. So perhaps those clamouring for his dismissal should also adopt a longer term view.

Longer term view for what reason?

Longer term with a manager who so far as failed this season and has made a cock up of the last few months?

Why?

The problems are there for all to see... Do you think Pearson as a manager is suddenly going to improve next season?

You're clutching at straws.

If he's that good, we should be safely in the play offs this season shouldn't we?

This 'longer term view' thing is just some romantic notion of how football used to be. Times have changed, football has change. IMO we need a fresh outlook on how we play the game.

God knows I don't want another season of long ball and trying to scratch out results.

Longer term view for what reason?

Longer term with a manager who so far as failed this season and has made a cock up of the last few months?

Why?

The problems are there for all to see... Do you think Pearson as a manager is suddenly going to improve next season?

You're clutching at straws.

If he's that good, we should be safely in the play offs this season shouldn't we?

This 'longer term view' thing is just some romantic notion of how football used to be. Times have changed, football has change. IMO we need a fresh outlook on how we play the game.

God knows I don't want another season of long ball and trying to scratch out results.

No straws being clutched at here. I've seen what this team is capable of in both positive and negative terms and on balance I can see more positives than I guess people like yourself can Col.

And the longer term view was, in case you hadn't read, in response to somebody who stated something to the tune of you can't judge a season by one excellent month, equally you can't or shouldn't then judge it by the last 2 or so.

Believe me I'm as disappointed as anyone but that's mainly because that team have raised our expectations by putting in some fantastic performances only to be let down at the end. If the majority of people on here can't manage their own expectations then maybe they should avoid watching football, and particularly city, a pastime.

I think the key here is that we have not progressed since last season. We look likely to finish in the same position, and miss the play offs again, despite financial backing.

That, coupled with the appalling run of form in the last 18 games gives me little hope.

What does anyone expect to be different next year? How will we improve? Especially as he doesn't know his best 11.

What has he done to make you have any faith in next season?

It's all about 'value added'.

How many players can you name that have actually improved under NFP at City?

Liam Moore perhaps and first time around Andy King both young players who were going to improve anyway, in all probability.

How many have gone backwards?

I count Marshall, Nugent, Knockaert, Vardy, Waghorn and Wood this time around, also Weale, Gallagher and Gradel first time around.

Personally I find that pretty damning........ :unsure:

I have no axe to grind either way but once it's confirmed that we haven't got promoted he will be gone FACT

If you want to continue the debate on wether that is right or wrong then fine

If you notice just about every new player that came into the team / squad started off really well and had an immediate impact on how the team played and therefore our results. They have all eventually gone backwards.

That is a result of things not going well behind the scenes and / or on the training ground.

So even if we lose the play-off final on pens he's gone?

Archived