Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

This Week In History

TWIH: Poole's Play-Off Heroics in '96
Posted: Wed 08 May 2013 

Author: Leicester City

1-twih-4x3280-813307_478x359.jpg

Kevin Poole

The 17th anniversary of Kevin Poole’s heroics in Leicester City’s play-off semi-final against Stoke City in 1996.

In the latest of his ‘The Week in History’ blogs Club Historian John Hutchinson, as part of the build up to this week’s play-off semi final, recalls the last Play-off semi-final to be played at Filbert Street, 17 years ago this week.

This week, 17 years ago Leicester City were once again preparing for a play-off semi-final for a place in the Premier League. Then as now, the play-off place was secured by an away win in the last game of the season (at Watford). Then as now, despite their win, other results had to go Leicester’s way for them to qualify for the semi-finals.

2-twih280-813312.jpg

To reach the play-off final at Wembley Leicester City had to overcome Lou Macari’s Stoke City in what was the Foxes’ fourth play-off semi-final in five years.The first leg was on Sunday 12 May, 1996 at Filbert Street in front of a capacity crowd.

Martin O’Neill, who had taken over as manager five months earlier and who had only won two of his first fourteen league matches in charge, was confident. This was because his team, strengthened by new additions such as Neil Lennon, Muzzy Izzet, Steve Claridge and Julian Watts, had finished the season by winning six of their last eight games.  He said: “We are looking forward to the tie against Stoke with great enthusiasm. Our last game with Stoke was tight and I don’t think it will be different tomorrow. They are a good, well disciplined side.”

3-twih280-813328.jpg

Despite this optimism, Leicester City were lucky to survive the home leg with a goalless draw.

Stoke looked to be the sharper outfit from the start and Leicester had to thank goalkeeper Kevin Poole for two absolutely brilliant early saves in the opening minutes.

In the third minute, Simon Sturridge’s pace saw him pick up a bad back pass from Steve Claridge. Poole saved the shot with his legs, conceding a throw in. When the ball came back into play Poole then had to block a point-blank header from Stoke’s Graham Potter.

Leicester also survived two strong penalty claims.  In the first half, Simon Grayson tripped Nigel Gleghorn in the area, but the referee missed this. Shortly after the break, Mike Whitlow cut down Mark Devlin in full flight, and once again, no penalty was awarded.

4-twih280-813332.jpg

Although Leicester improved in the second half, their chances were few and far between. Their best chance came when Claridge’s header towards goal was gathered on the line by Stoke’s goalkeeper.

In the 56th minute, O’Neill replaced striker Mark Robins with midfielder Garry Parker. Parker had been stripped of the captaincy and dropped from the team by O’Neill a few weeks earlier following a dressing room bust up. The teenage Emile Heskey, who had become an established first team player under Martin O’Neill, moved across into the central striking position. Despite these changes, Leicester City still could not beat the visitors’ defence.

After the game, O’Neill hailed Kevin Poole as the hero of the hour. “He made two outstanding saves, one from a point blank header on the back post. I just don’t know how he kept it out,” said O’Neill.

1-twih280-813305.jpg

He went on: “I expected it to be very tight and it will be the same at Stoke. We have been better away from home this season and I’m sure Stoke won’t be thinking that their task is over by any means”.

Alluding to the fact that in those days, unlike today, away goals counted double in the play-offs, he continued, “If we get an early goal that would put the cat amongst the pigeons, but we are prepared for anything that could happen, like an extra half hour and penalties”.

So 17 years ago this week, as the fans streamed away from Filbert Street, disappointed with the 0-0 scoreline and apprehensive about the second leg three days later, they clung to the belief that Leicester City could play better.

And so it proved. For the second leg, O’Neill picked Parker, welcoming him back to the fold and it was Parker who, seconds after the break, lashed in a Heskey cross from inside the area to secure a 1-0 victory.

5-twih280-813333.jpg

The Wembley final against Crystal Palace was less than a fortnight away. That game included further heroics from Poole when he flung himself at a Bruce Dyer shot from the edge of the box preventing it from going in at the top corner. It also included Claridge’s shinned goal four seconds from the end of extra time. This was the goal which finally secured Leicester City’s place in the Premier League.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/080513-twih-pooles-play-off-heroics-in-96-813354.aspx?#OdSrcg2XFhEbdiwA.99

I was talking to my uncle about this game the other day! I sat on the top tier of the double decker right at the front and had a great view of the game...remember a lot of action at the Kop end. Then I heard some woman at the end of the game saying its fine as we had a good away record and how right she was. 

I was only 9 at the time but was a great end to the season with my first trip to Wembley!

Archived