Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Connolly looking For Sharpness

Connolly looks for match sharpness on Oxford trip

by BILL ANDERSON

David Connolly is set to return to action when Leicester City roll out their big guns out for the trip to Oxford United tomorrow (3.0).

The club's main striker - and last season's top scorer - is short of match practice. He has not featured since the two-game trip to Norway a fortnight ago where he scored twice in the opening game then appeared as a late substitute in the second.

Connolly missed out totally on the showpiece fixtures s against Celtic and Inter Milan, but boss Craig Levein said: "He is going to be a big player for us this season and we are taking no chances.

"The aim is to get him ready for that first game at Sheffield United and that is how it is looking."

Connolly has been under treatment for slight groin trouble but he is now scheduled to start at the Kassam Stadium alongside Mark de Vries in what appears to be Levein's favoured attacking partnership.

After the Rushden trip was made by the second string plus new signing Peter Gilbert, it is now time for Levein to parade as near as possible the side which will open the season at Bramall Lane.

Gilbert, who started at Rushden on Wednesday, needs more pitch time with City although he had gone through Plymouth Argyle's pre-season training up until his £200,000 move north.

And Stephen Hughes will need a game having recovered from his ankle knock.

Other than that, Levein is pleased with the way the rest of the squad are shaping up in terms of match fitness and he said: "If we can get through Saturday then have a decent week when we can go through our set-pieces and get other things ready for the new season, then I will be chuffed."

All that Levein now has on the back-burner is the search for a another striker.

With just a week left before the start of the season, it is getting a bit tight but the City boss is still hopeful, even though the emergency option of de Vries and Dion Dublin in the two home friendlies worked well.

He said: "It was not something I had considered before but it seemed to work quite well and it did not mean we just pumped long balls forward.

"That is not going to be our style.

"With players like Gareth Williams and Momo Sylla in midfield, there is no point in missing them out."

I like his no-hoof policy but don't like how Levein seems to think Dublin and De Vries did well together, they were dire from what I saw. Its probably just a bit of spin in case we don't get a new striker, but the fans will see for themselves they're no good together if they play at the start of the season.

I like his no-hoof policy but don't like how Levein seems to think Dublin and De Vries did well together, they were dire from what I saw. Its probably just a bit of spin in case we don't get a new striker, but the fans will see for themselves they're no good together if they play at the start of the season.

146192[/snapback]

yeah spin it is... he is hardly likely to say,

"blimey im crapping myself a bit, cos DC is crocked and MDV and Dion looked like two gangly tits up front"

Shouldnt worry, bosses always tend to say ALL positive things at this stage, unless your HarryRedknap and looking desperately for a way out, I think you will remember Mike Baldwin(el tel) saying the same at Leeds when he joined...

Otherwise all managers will say that any old pile of doggie doings that they have in the squad look like they are "coming together well" and are "keen to get started" etc etc..

Is this another Blanderson/Mockery 'make it up without checking story' because according to Jon Barber - Radio Leicester Sport Connolly and Hughes won't be playing.

Ahhh, come on - I'm not adverse to a bit of abuse now and again !!!

Thanks for the nice comments - just hope you like the phone in more - I am keen to get as many different voices on as possible, and think a few people in the studio, as well as callers will help things to be a bit lively and more controversial.

By the way, saw you were talking about a striker today - well spoke to Levein earlier and he IS definately trying to get one in, but doesn't seem overly concerned if it isn't in time for the Sheff Utd game.

Connolly and Hughes won't play tomorrow, but expects them both to start next weekend. 

source

Completely aside, but why has Conners got his hand on that other guys arse?

connolly_290705.gif

lol

I certainly hope we find a new striker, or a miracle cure for all ailments so that Conners doesn't miss a game - I for one am dreading the prospect that MDV and DD will be playing together upfront for more than one game at a time, from what I heard on the radio and from what people on these boards say - they look a bit useless together. lol

No surprise there then, when was the last time Blanderson wrote anything that was factual - talk about lazy journalism.

146340[/snapback]

If I was the bloke I'd be too embarrassed to turn up at the office. Doug Johnson (former sports editor) would have turned in his grave, believe me (and I don't think he'd have put up with it for long).

I hope DC is fit for Saturday. The worst thing would be for himt to get injured in the first half during the match. Maybe he should play some part in a reserve friendly just to see how it feels in a match situation.

Archived