Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Michael Gove in popularity push

The pessimist in me just sees the holiday companies making it just as expensive but for longer to cover the gap :P

The pessimist in me just sees the holiday companies making it just as expensive but for longer to cover the gap :P

No cannot believe that. It would mean that those that run the holiday companies are greedier than the working man.

Prices would peak lower for longer. Supply/demand. Good for teachers and people who don't want to take their kids out of school. Not so good for everyone else.

Yeah, I know I'm bumping this, and I know it's the Grauniad - but judging by the results across a variety of fields the Finnish education system is pretty damn good. Even the corporate boys think it's strong, though apparently they don't like the high taxes, which is fair enough.

I like the split into 'general' and 'vocational' post-16 (90% of kids do one or the other) and the idea of just one competitive university entry exam too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/01/education-michael-gove-finland-gcse

Notable absence of consideration of cost in there. The guardian of course, assuming the money will just appear.

Notable absence of consideration of cost in there. The guardian of course, assuming the money will just appear.

Would a comparable system here cost much more than the system we have already? You'd save loads on exam administration and inspecting costs, but that would be offset by some schools losing their income in fees. It'd be interesting to see the approximate numbers though. 

In any case, good education can be an investment in the future as better-educated kids find better jobs that then give back a good amount of tax into the system to pay for it.

Archived