Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Michael Gove in popularity push

Finland has one of the highest suicide rates in the developed world, so I guess that's that argument out of the window

Really, because according to the WHO it's 18th, behind Belgium, Croatia, Russia, Japan, South Korea to name a few. Scandinavian suicide rates are nowhere near as high as people seem to think.

Finland has one of the highest suicide rates in the developed world, so I guess that's that argument out of the window

I was referring to teen/school age suicides. And most Far Eastern countries have more of those than Finland does. 

Really, because according to the WHO it's 18th, behind Belgium, Croatia, Russia, Japan, South Korea to name a few. Scandinavian suicide rates are nowhere near as high as people seem to think.

Yes that qualifies as "one of" in my opinion.

I was referring to teen/school age suicides. And most Far Eastern countries have more of those than Finland does. 

Source?

Let's see if we can get some real evidence on the table that suggests these Finnish kids are turning out so much better than the Asian kids. All I see so far is speculation. What is so wrong with rote learning? I did my entire degree through rote and look how I turned out. What is so amazing about all these wonderful practical experiences the Finnish kids are having? I mean it sounds great for teachers, no doubt about that whatsoever, but if it's really so effective and affordable then why isn't the entire world doing it?

Yes that qualifies as "one of" in my opinion.

I did my entire degree through rote and look how I turned out.

Yeah you turned out to be an over opinionated ill informed ****.

Japan I know is for a multitude of reasons.

One of which is known to be the ultra competitive nature of society, endorsed and perpetuated by their education system.

It's fantastic if you're one of the high flyers but god help you if you struggle.

One of which is known to be the ultra competitive nature of society, endorsed and perpetuated by their education system.

It's fantastic if you're one of the high flyers but god help you if you struggle.

Well one would argue the education system is not the cause of it but a mere consequence of the mentality of the Japanese which stems back into the samurai times.

But then the high suicide rates in Scandinavian countries is often down to the fact they get no fvcking sunlight during the winter.

But for those quoting the stats lets see them, what are the teen suicide rates across the various countries and what is it that makes the Scandinavian teaching model so good?

Well one would argue the education system is not the cause of it but a mere consequence of the mentality of the Japanese which stems back into the samurai times.

A major part of the British mentality used to be militarism and a feeling of ethnic superiority over African nations, education ironed that out.

The Japanese education system enforces the ultra competitive element, an element which can be extremely damaging to those who do not achieve the very highest grades. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I know I'm bumping this, and I know it's the Grauniad - but judging by the results across a variety of fields the Finnish education system is pretty damn good. Even the corporate boys think it's strong, though apparently they don't like the high taxes, which is fair enough.

I like the split into 'general' and 'vocational' post-16 (90% of kids do one or the other) and the idea of just one competitive university entry exam too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/01/education-michael-gove-finland-gcse

Michael Gove is an idiot, and has no idea what he's talking about. Anyone who knows anything about education can tell you that. He just does things for the sake of making it look like he's doing things.

Of course, it's never been a popular position, but least it generally splits opinion. I don't think there has ever before been someone so unanimously hated.

In the meantime, the NUT showing they dont agree with anyone about anything, again.

Clearly a perfectly good idea, and demonstating a failure to understand supply and demand economics.  Hopefully she is not an economics teacher.

Why are the unions so against it?  I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are, but their only argument seems to be the cost of 2 weeks in Majorca.

I personally don't think it's all that bad an idea.

It would save the ridiculous situation where identical holidays cost £350 at the start of July and £600 three weeks later by spreading the summer rush over a longer period of time. I've been extremely fortunate in bagging a bargain of a holiday in Turkey, outside the Eurozone of course, but some of the prices were genuinely eye watering. I almost don't blame parents for taking their kids out of school in term time due to costs, especially when the fine for doing so is often less than the premium for taking Little Johnny away in August.

Guest MattP

It would save the ridiculous situation where identical holidays cost £350 at the start of July and £600 three weeks later by spreading the summer rush over a longer period of time. I've been extremely fortunate in bagging a bargain of a holiday in Turkey, outside the Eurozone of course, but some of the prices were genuinely eye watering. I almost don't blame parents for taking their kids out of school in term time due to costs, especially when the fine for doing so is often less than the premium for taking Little Johnny away in August.

Quite right, excellent idea.

It's Gove though so it will get absolutely panned by everyone.

Not read it so can't comment. Is it something to do with school hours and holidays?  The schools have stayed the same while the rest of the work force have been more flexible. If it's better for parents then it could be a better Tory policy. But I am not at school, not a teacher or do not have children so am not affected directly.

I  thought this was news of him pushing Osbourne off a cliff. :)

Quite right, excellent idea.

Labour even support it.

With Labour and the full A-list of Foxes Talk talent behind the initiative, the Gove-Osborne murder/suicide pact must happen!

The pessimist in me just sees the holiday companies making it just as expensive but for longer to cover the gap :P

Archived