Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Positives to take from todays game

two seasons ago second match away @ ipswitch we lost 6-1 thn came second in the league.......

and we never win at brammel lane

151320[/snapback]

I heard all that statistical nonsense about Mickey Adams' side. Previous season's results have nothing to do with now.

We'll climb the table if we fill our weak spots with good players, score more goals than the opposition which we never seem to do, stop playing 80 minutes and playing silly buggers for 10, stop convincing ourselves that, somehow, a 4-1 thrashing is a decent display, stop making excuses about referees, injuries, lack of money, so-and-so doesn't work lunchtimes and all the rest.

Winning at football is about being one step ahead all the time. At Sheffield Craig Levein was several steps behind. Warnock comprehensively outhought him and I hope CL learns from it quick.

Douglas and De Vries were poor. De Vries seems to be scared of shooting and when he eventually does have a crack, he normally fluffs it and ends up on the floor looking like a tit.

I am suprised at how well both Williams AND Gudjonsson played because I have never been impressed with Joey but today he was helping out with the defending and played well throughout the game.

Momo Sylla I thought was excellent. He is extremely quick and kept winning us numerous amounts of throw-ins etc.

I thought Connolly had a sound game, and Maybury was also solid. I think Paddy McCarthy could have played better, and I thought Gilbert was shocking when he came on.

All though we lost 4-1, it really doesn't seem like it. Does anyone remember when we lost 6-1 to Ipswich in the third game and we got demolished? We came back from it and got promoted. We lost 4-1 to a good Sheffield United side but we were not outplayed at all and were good enough for at least a draw. Don't judge how the season will go just on this one game.

I heard all that statistical nonsense about Mickey Adams' side. Previous season's results have nothing to do with now.

We'll climb the table if we fill our weak spots with good players, score more goals than the opposition which we never seem to do, stop playing 80 minutes and playing silly buggers for 10, stop convincing ourselves that, somehow, a 4-1 thrashing is a decent display, stop making excuses about referees, injuries, lack of money, so-and-so doesn't work lunchtimes and all the rest.

Winning at football is about being one step ahead all the time. At Sheffield Craig Levein was several steps behind. Warnock comprehensively outhought him and I hope CL learns from it quick.

151397[/snapback]

Thrach (can i call you that) i admire your passion, and you certainly talk from the heart. I just feel your being a tad negative, when its not needed.

If it was last december, i`d totally agree with you, because we`d seen enough, but its the first game mate, its sheff u away, their title contenders, and we lost the game to a dodgy pen, yes then we crumbled because we it was harsh and we let it get the better of us, plus individual defensive errors.

You MUST agree that until 81mins, we were the better team, the better team AT sheff u, the title contenders?

I take your point about the last 10 mins, but does it do us any good harping on about it? I dont think so, because we cannot do something about it.

What we CAN do, is use the positives to our advantage in the next game.

Finally it is extremely difficult to deal with near post crosses once the winger gets behind the full-back. That's why so many near-post headers are scored and why people like Cottee, Michael Owen etc, etc love making near post runs.

151298[/snapback]

something i never saw connolly do last season and dickov was very good at it!

Positives?

1 - we probably won't concede two penalties in a match again this season. The result would have been very different but for this.

2 - we started without 4/5 players who might have improved today's performance.

3 - we didn't deserve to lose 4-1 (but we didn't deserve to win either).

Today, we got a consumate lesson from Mr W's boys in how to play successful football in the CCC, that is....

You have to have bags of pace up front, you have to play direct football and you have to keep things ultra simple at the back. We had none of these three things.

Webber (I think? - didn't get a prog) and Ifill dragged us all over the place at times. They got the ball up field quickly and panicked us.

Defence - we had a few new faces, we have 8 or 9 basically sound defenders in total, we had a bad day, I'm sure CL will sort it out.

Williams - he is a show pony. He looks good at times, but OPEN YOUR EYES - what did he actually do? Nowt. CL knows that he's not going to change him. He's gonna have to pray Kisnorbo is the general we need to protect Hughes. Personally, I'm not arsed about playing a passing game. Lets leave that to the experts.

Conners and MDV were ok. Conners needs more of the ball, MDV needs a confidence transplant. They both need a fast striker to put pressure on their places.

Bad day at the office. Not the end of the world though. :mellow:

Positives eh?

Sunderland made a slow start and won the league last year. Errrrm, West Brom lost 4-1 to Walsall on the opening day 2 years ago and finished 2nd.

151530[/snapback]

That's alright then, when didn't you say before the season started and we could have incorporated it into club policy?.

Now lads, we've officially got to turn up at Sheffield but I don't want you winning. Sunderland started slowly then came up on the rails. That's what we'll do. In fact it's August, still holiday season for some. Save your energy til September. They certainly won't hear us coming then. Who knows we might just pinch the title on the last day.

It was just light-hearted. Obviously i'd have wanted us to win but you know, you have to laugh and so on.

I doubt you'll see a side play as well as that in a 4-1 defeat, and i didn't think anyone had a particularly terrible game, Douglas was at fault for a few goals and he'll probably hold his hands up to that, but he made a few good stops too.

I'm very concerned we can play as well as we did and still end up being turned over, but there are a few positives we can take from it - Williams, Sylla and Gudjonsson's performances for a start, and Connolly and de Vries were linking up much better than last year. I've got confidence in Levein at the end of the day.

Levein has confidence that De Vries will one day come good. I don't.

And I think Gerrbrand should have started today alongside his fellow Swede.

We shouldn't let the nightmare of the last 10 minutes blind us to the good things that came before then. Sylla and Connolly showed useful touches, Joey got stuck in and Johansson looked solid in defence.

There are a few changes to made in this team. Let's hope the manager recognises that!

That's alright then, when didn't you say before the season started and we could have incorporated it into club policy?.

Now lads, we've officially got to turn up at Sheffield but I don't want you winning. Sunderland started slowly then came up on the rails. That's what we'll do. In fact it's August, still holiday season for some. Save your energy til September. They certainly won't hear us coming then. Who knows we might just pinch the title on the last day.

151542[/snapback]

Come on Thrach, stop being so negative. when were not feeling too good about yesterday, it helps for some encouragement surely.

remember the song, *always shit on...BOTH sides of the trent*.

Its only one game against one of our rivals! To be fair if thats who challenging for the play offs with us we'll get there, with a bit of luck as we didn't have any!

Good poits

MDV Linked up and held the ball well, connoly scored(took him 10 games last season) Gareth Williams, The 2 centre backs, Stearman!

Bad points

Rab, Though Maybury had one of his least solid games but we all know he's good, Peter Gilberts fleeting 15 minutes in which we let in all of our goals.

We need Williams to run the game when we're not on top

I thought Maybury was piss poor today

Connolly was'nt in the game enough, probably not his fault

DeVries is not sharp enough in front of goal, seems like he always wants to take it one step too far.

Ooops positives, we didn't lose 5-1

151116[/snapback]

How do you run the game when you're not on top? Surely if you did that you would be on top and not the opposition? What Williams needs to do is excel when we are on top, which is often down to him anyway and battle like **** when we're under the kosh.

Positives:

- Passed it like i've never seen before.

- Momo's pace and trickery

- Connolly's mum and dad for having sex

- Stearman

- Gudjonsson looking good

- Williams passing and invention

Archived