Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Positives to take from todays game

I agree to a degree with stearman, but he brought on a left back and we had a `proper` back 4. bar that, you must`ve thought we were in control?

what was positive about warnocks substitutions? we gave away a pen, how does their subs get credit for that? gillespie sent in a average cross that a defender should comfortably clear. dougie made a mistake for their 4th, how is that a good sub decision?

blanderson :D

name me the better keepers?

151259[/snapback]

Our defence was fine before the second penalty.

As a winger/centre forward for most of my playing days I would have been delighted with cross and goal for Sheffield's third.

Today stoke played the remainder 75mins with ten men, and missed a late penalty, they will be tierd and a bit gutted.

151254[/snapback]

Remaining with the positive theme, does anyone know what Gerry got sent off for today? It'll be a massive plus for us if he's suspended for Tuesday.

Our defence was fine before the second penalty.

As a winger/centre forward for most of my playing days I would have been delighted with cross and goal for Sheffield's third.

151279[/snapback]

And you would have a problem with

maybury macarthy johanson gilbert, why?

most average strikers would (because crossing ability nowadays is somewhat poor at times) but our defence should`ve dealt with it, it wasnt THAT good.

NO defence should `let` a striker head the ball from a 30 yard cross, on the 6 yard box, it was very poor defending.

Remaining with the positive theme, does anyone know what Gerry got sent off for today? It'll be a massive plus for us if he's suspended for Tuesday.

151286[/snapback]

swung his foot at the ball missed, baddly, and floored the other player

And you would have a problem with

maybury macarthy johanson gilbert, why?

most average strikers would (because crossing ability nowadays is somewhat poor at times) but our defence should`ve dealt with it, it wasnt THAT good.

NO defence should `let` a striker head the ball from a 30 yard cross, on the 6 yard box, it was very poor defending.

151292[/snapback]

Because the defence was better with Stearman in it. Because McCarthy seems reactionary/impulsive and because Gilbert just didn't look like a quality defender at all.

Finally it is extremely difficult to deal with near post crosses once the winger gets behind the full-back. That's why so many near-post headers are scored and why people like Cottee, Michael Owen etc, etc love making near post runs.

I gave you the link because he wasnt in the starting or sub line up.

151311[/snapback]

Ok :S When I said HT I meant as one of Birch's Legends, not that he came into the game then.

On another subject, didn't their ground look empty, about 18k there wasn't there? I suspect we'll get 25-26k on Tuesday at least.

I can't believe the negativity after this game.

I will admit that I am more of a moaner than most but even I saw a lot of positive things today. Maybe actually being at the game allows you to see a hell of a lot more than just watching it on the small screen. :unsure:

-I thought our passing was excellent at times.

-Sylla looked brilliant in the first half, but faded in the second.

-De Vries played really well in the second half, he chased a lot of balls that he didn't need to and caused their defence a lot of problems. His touch, and hold up play was much improved and he even won a few headers. All he needs to do is learn to shoot quicker rather than taking one touch too many. But I have been one of his biggest critics on here and even I was pleased with his game overall.

-Connolly was brilliant considering that he hadn't played much in preseason. Gudjonsson also shone for me and made some cracking tackles.

Apart from the last 10 minutes of the game which were, imo, brought on by the dubious penalty decision, I was extremely happy with the performance. Although I do agree that Douglas didn't look great and should have done much better for their first penalty - to say he hesitated would be an understatement.

two seasons ago second match away @ ipswitch we lost 6-1 thn came second in the league.......

and we never win at brammel lane

151320[/snapback]

Tuesday is not far away.

Last win their was a 3-1 win, when mark magoo was manager, and i got chucked out after 5 mins when roberts scored :angry:

I think I saw the same game as you Anish and I could easily take on a positive slant but I'm frankly getting pissed off having to endure 80 minute performances from teams purporting to play for LCFC, it just sticks in my craw, it's not natural for me as a City supporter. I thought we'd killed that habit off with the departure of MA's but it's still their and we're still shooting ourselves in the foot. In fact if MA's was still our manager today I believe the reraction from the majority would match mine.

Never the less as one who was wholeheartedly behind Levein's appointment, and as normal I shall continue to back the team 100% when I attend matches.

I can't believe the negativity after this game.

I will admit that I am more of a moaner than most but even I saw a lot of positive things today. Maybe actually being at the game allows you to see a hell of a lot more than just watching it on the small screen.  :unsure:

-I thought our passing was excellent at times.

-Sylla looked brilliant in the first half, but faded in the second.

-De Vries played really well in the second half, he chased a lot of balls that he didn't need to and caused their defence a lot of problems. His touch, and hold up play was much improved and he even won a few headers. All he needs to do is learn to shoot quicker rather than taking one touch too many. But I have been one of his biggest critics on here and even I was pleased with his game overall.

-Connolly was brilliant considering that he hadn't played much in preseason. Gudjonsson also shone for me and made some cracking tackles.

Apart from the last 10 minutes of the game which were, imo, brought on by the dubious penalty decision, I was extremely happy with the performance. Although I do agree that Douglas didn't look great and should have done much better for their first penalty - to say he hesitated would be an understatement.

151330[/snapback]

A lot of the negativity stems from the fact we lost 4-1 on our opening day and everyone is rightly disapointed, however he have a lot of positives to biuld on against Stoke.

-De Vries played really well in the second half, he chased a lot of balls that he didn't need to and caused their defence a lot of problems. His touch , and hold up play was much improved and he even won a few headers. All he needs to do is learn to shoot quicker rather than taking one touch too many . But I have been one of his biggest critics on here and even I was pleased with his game overall.

151330[/snapback]

can everyone remember deep freeze tripping over his shoe lace just about to shoot :blink:

he had a shooting chance, several times, and fluffed them all.

You can tell the truth, or you can lie.

That was funny when he slipped over! lol

Shame though as he was in a good position. The thing is, as a striker, you shouldn't miss that many chances in a game, I've been behind him all preseason, and he did do well today, just his final product let him down yet again .

151348[/snapback]

Thats his problem.

We start the season bottom of the league. We can only go up from here. We find ourselves there, not because we weren't good enough, but because we were completely lacking in discipline. Instead of wondering what happened the manager must instill match discipline into the players and not throw away what would have been a decent performance.

We start the season bottom of the league. We can only go up from here. We find ourselves there, not because we weren't good enough, but because we were completely lacking in discipline. Instead of wondering what happened the manager must instill match discipline into the players and not throw away what would have been a decent performance.

151379[/snapback]

Too good to go down then?

Archived