Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Positives to take from todays game

I didn't say he was better. Connolly scored and De Vries didn't so I'd say Connolly was better but apart from the goal De Vries was very effective in holding up rubbish balls played to him, taking a bit of pressure off the defence and turning it into an attack.

151175[/snapback]

You said he had a "much more effective game than Connolly"... surely that means you think he was better.

Either way, whether Connolly scorded or not his all round game and build up play was 10x better than Deep Freeze.

I really hope so, because apart from Gudjonsson, De Vries and Douglas I thought we played very well, I have no concerns for the season as with this team,

Douglas/Henderson

Maybury  McCarthy  Johansson  Gilbert

Sylla  Williams  Hughes  Tiatto

Connolly  Dublin/De Vries/Hammond

We will be fine, bring on Stoke and lets forget this shit, The ref was a **** and did not help at all. Johansson was trying to swing his body to stop it hitting his hand, I guarantee if he wouldnt have given that penalty we wouldnt have lost as we were on top but just gave up after the penalty!

151124[/snapback]

Sorry to disagree with you but Sheffield made the attacking changes and set their stall out to win. Leicester by then had squandered their chances and then Levein made a totally pointless substitution (unless Stearman was injured and he didn't look injured).

De Vries is a joke, one of the slowest players I have witnessed. I would rather have Ade!

151173[/snapback]

I was thinking that through out the game.

When De Vries gets in the box its almost like its slow motion :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more with you Thracian.

I only wonder how we will look with Hughes supporting the attack and receiving the knock-downs from De Vries.

Either way, I don't want to take the risk and can't help but feel that Elvis is not the answer upfront. Better dust your boots off Dion.

I would also like to issue a formal apology to Berti Vogts. After watching one of Scotland's top keepers today, I now understand how he was unable to turn them into a world footballing power.

Sorry to disagree with you but Sheffield made the attacking changes and set their stall out to win. Leicester by then had squandered their chances and then Levein made a totally pointless substitution (unless Stearman was injured and he didn't look injured).

151188[/snapback]

I do agree with what your saying aswell. I just feel that the penalty completely changed the game! Re De Vries, definetly does look like slow motion, he always has the ball under his feet!!

One further point. I'd heard we'd beinmg doing loads of work on set-pieces but I saw absolutely no evidence of it either from free kicks or from corners. Yet we had loads of free chances to get the ball in the box.

What's the reason. Poor coaching ideas, players who don't deliver on the day or players who ignore what the coaches/manager tells em?.

In Martin O'Neil's day, set pieces were a lethal weapon for City. Players knew exactly what they were going to do and it was like watching a marauding army attack on some occasions.

How many games did we win by one set piece to nil or two set pieces to one?

I do agree with what your saying aswell. I just feel that the penalty completely changed the game! Re De Vries, definetly does look like slow motion, he always has the ball under his feet!!

151193[/snapback]

He's even slow to find that out!!!

Couldn't agree more with you Thracian.

I only wonder how we will look with Hughes supporting the attack and receiving the knock-downs from De Vries.

Either way, I don't want to take the risk and can't help but feel that Elvis is not the answer upfront.  Better dust your boots off Dion.

I would also like to issue a formal apology to Berti Vogts.  After watching one of Scotland's top keepers today, I now understand how he was unable to turn them into a world footballing power.

151192[/snapback]

That is the great big problem City have with De Vries. He seems better at hold up play and distribution than Dion (which makes his selection all but inevitable) but he just doesn't score.

Consequently we're firing a cylinder short and it's hard to see an answer if everyone thinks I was mad to suggest Ashley Chambers (though why that would be a worse option I don't know).

I too had the same feelings as you about Elvis. I know it was a momentary cameo but what was there to remember?. A fearsome shot? An exhillerating run? A bit of devil? A cheeky manouvre? No. I watched and I can't recall a single thing. Good centre-forwards are always doing something. Think back to Dickov. He didn't have to be scoring but he was always a nuisance, always asking one question or another.

Hands up who was feeling pretty damn fine at 80mins?

Come on, lets see them?

Who thought we`d the better chance of winning?

Come on, get them hands up!!!

Ive just read through this all too negative discussion, and im slightly disapointed.

For 80mins we were the better team. Ok it went horribly bad in the last 10, and the players manager and staff are totally to blame.

I think generally we played well, bar deep freeze, and im desperately hoping craig isnt playing because he bought him here.

I dont rate wilcox, but i thought he did well. Maybury was outa position, was captain like the vote he got in this very website.

Nissa suprised me a bit, i thought he looked too nervous, and gudjohnson (who i dont rate too much, had a good game) had to make up for nissas half way line mistake.

Sylla was good, connolly did ok, but i admit douglas didnt do too well. My uncle (a celtic fan) says douglas doesnt like streching himself, and that proved the case for the penalty. hes still a decent goalie in this league, and none of you can think of better?

We created numerous chances (something we badly lacked last season), with a bit of gelling, and good players to come into the team, lets all keep a cool head, the next games is only tuesday, and tags cant play (sent off today).

Im confident we`ll create numerous chances on tuesday, that will create a good atmosphere, if we stick a few away, i dont see stoke banging 3, we could score 3 or 4 ourselves.

HEADS UP!!

Come on, lets see them?

Ive just read through this all too negative discussion, and im slightly disapointed.

For 80mins we were the better team. Ok it went horribly bad in the last 10, and the players manager and staff are totally to blame.

I think generally we played well, bar deep freeze, and im desperately hoping craig isnt playing because he bought him here.

I dont rate wilcox, but i thought he did well. Maybury was outa position, was captain like the vote he got in this very website.

Nissa suprised me a bit, i thought he looked too nervous, and gudjohnson (who i dont rate too much, had a good game) had to make up for nissas half way line mistake.

Sylla was good, connolly did ok, but i admit douglas didnt do too well. My uncle (a celtic fan) says douglas doesnt like streching himself, and that proved the case for the penalty. hes still a decent goalie in this league, and none of you can think of better?

We created numerous chances (something we badly lacked last season), with a bit of gelling, and good players to come into the team, lets all keep a cool head, the next games is only tuesday, and tags cant play (sent off today).

Im confident we`ll create numerous chances on tuesday, that will create a good atmosphere, if we stick a few away, i dont see stoke banging 3, we could score 3 or 4 ourselves.

HEADS UP!!

151221[/snapback]

I agree, as ive said in another thread i think people are being way too negative already. And aslong as de vries does not play in the next game we will do well and score. Lets have dubs or the king up front with conners next time.

I agree, as ive said in another thread i think people are being way too negative already. And aslong as de vries does not play in the next game we will do well and score. Lets have dubs or the king up front with conners next time.

151222[/snapback]

Yes i think dubs should start against stoke. I was amazed after about 65 70 mins why dubs didnt come on for deep freeze, because by them mdv was tiering and not doing the biz, dubs was a natural replacement.

After the first day, were only 2 gaols behind palace, and one point behind norwich. :)

Agree with that lush, but we all know De Vries will play next game! Admittedley Shef Utd are strong opposition so nowwe have that out o the way I am confident we can do well, another thing to remember is the team is still relatively new to each other so once we get a few wins we should be ok!

Come on, lets see them?

HEADS UP!!

151221[/snapback]

Up until 80 mins I was impressed (bar the free man at the far post every set-piece, and the weak left flank where they always had a free man). However, the worry comes, as always, that we do not seem to have enough potency upfront. Clearly, our defence is not good enough to grind out a 1-0. Regardless of the dubious 2nd penalty, the third and fourth goal were bad defending.

As for Rab Douglas being a good keeper at this level, the jury is out. Today, he made two fundamental and very basic decisions that cost us two goals. This is an experienced international keeper, not some inexperienced youngster. I am appalled at the fourth goal, he watched the ball go past him. Henderson could well be playing sooner than expected. The Bradford fans all seemed to rate him.

Does anyone know if Hughes will be fit for mid-week?

If de vries has improved what was he doing last season, yes he did a few good turns and touches but when he gets the chance to shoot he doesn't shoot, when he has the ball four yards out he cant score.

I would rather have my strikers scoring and shooting, not falling over and having a nervous break down when they get in front of goal.

Come on, lets see them?

HEADS UP!!

151221[/snapback]

I for one wouldn't put my hands up. In fact as soon as he substituted Stearman I thought "what earthly reason has he done that for". When everyone needs to be fully keyed into the game he makes a pointless change that was only likely to make an up-til-then fairly efficient unit less so.

That, and Warnock's positive substitutions changed a game which had been evenly balanced (chances wise).

Perhaps Blanderson will do something useful and ask Levein to explain the purpose of his change.

As for better goalkeepers? I'd imagine everyone in the Championship has a better goalkeeper from what I've seen and all the training in the world won't change him at his age.

Clearly, our defence is not good enough to grind out a 1-0.  Regardless of the dubious 2nd penalty, the third and fourth goal were bad defending.

As for Rab Douglas being a good keeper at this level, the jury is out.  Today, he made two fundamental and very basic decisions that cost us two goals.  This is an experienced international keeper, not some inexperienced youngster.  I am appalled at the fourth goal, he watched the ball go past him.  Henderson could well be playing sooner than expected.  The Bradford fans all seemed to rate him.

Does anyone know if Hughes will be fit for mid-week?

151238[/snapback]

We dont play our best defence, and you base our defensive capabilities for the whole season as poor :rolleyes: we did keep a clean sheet against celtic, scored 4 recently.

If we have the attitude that things are like last season, they the atmosphere on tuesday wont be good.

Today stoke played the remainder 75mins with ten men, and missed a late penalty, they will be tierd and a bit gutted.

We need to THINK positively come tuesday, moaners MUST either keep away or keep their worries to themselves!!

By all means if we play rubbish, voice your anger at the end, but doing so before and during the game will NOT help.

yes dougie made errors, people wake up and go to work and make mistakes, thats just human nature. The question is, will he make amends, he pulled off a good save not long after the first pen, so think positively dude.

When was the last time bradford fans watched their team play a better keeper than henderson? :ermm:

I for one wouldn't put my hands up. In fact as soon as he substituted Stearman I thought "what earthly reason has he done that for".

That, and Warnock's positive substitutions changed a game which had been evenly balanced (chances wise).

Perhaps Blanderson will do something useful and ask Levein to explain the purpose of his change.

As for better goalkeepers? I'd imagine everyone in the Championship has a better goalkeeper from what I've seen and all the training in the world won't change him at his age.

151243[/snapback]

I agree to a degree with stearman, but he brought on a left back and we had a `proper` back 4. bar that, you must`ve thought we were in control?

what was positive about warnocks substitutions? we gave away a pen, how does their subs get credit for that? gillespie sent in a average cross that a defender should comfortably clear. dougie made a mistake for their 4th, how is that a good sub decision?

blanderson :D

name me the better keepers?

We dont play our best defence, and you base our defensive capabilities for the whole season as poor :rolleyes:  we did keep a clean sheet against celtic, scored 4 recently.

If we have the attitude that things are like last season, they the atmosphere on tuesday wont be good.

Today stoke played the remainder 75mins with ten men, and missed a late penalty, they will be tierd and a bit gutted.

We need to THINK positively come tuesday, moaners MUST either keep away or keep their worries to themselves!!

By all means if we play rubbish, voice your anger at the end, but doing so before and during the game will NOT help.

yes dougie made errors, people wake up and go to work and make mistakes, thats just human nature. The question is, will he make amends, he pulled off a good save not long after the first pen, so think positively dude.

When was the last time bradford fans watched their team play a better keeper than henderson? :ermm:

151254[/snapback]

I would be interested to know our best defence (I haven't seen Gerrbrand play or much of Gilbert), so would appreciate what you consider the strongest back four. Regarding the defence, the worries are there, precisely because of what we witnessed last season. Today's performance did nothing to dismiss these fears.

Make no mistake, come Tuesday, I will be supporting the boys and think we will beat Stoke 2-0. We can all say with certainty, that when City dig-in, really go for it and attack, the atmosphere is always good (even at the Walkers Bowl). So there should be no worries about that. Maybe it's just the anticipation of the new season after a long summer, being crushed by today's result (and the same old collapse in the last 10 mins).

With regards Dougie, he made two massive blunders. A defence should have confidence in a keeper. We should not be worried as to whether our experienced international keeper is going to hesitate at vital moments. If this was a one-off, fair enough, however, the view from Celtic is that it is almost expected.

I would be interested to know our best defence (I haven't seen Gerrbrand play or much of Gilbert), so would appreciate what you consider the strongest back four.  Regarding the defence, the worries are there, precisely because of what we witnessed last season.  Today's performance did nothing to dismiss these fears.

Maybe it's just the anticipation of the new season after a long summer, being crushed by today's result (and the same old collapse in the last 10 mins).

With regards Dougie, he made two massive blunders.  A defence should have confidence in a keeper.  We should not be worried as to whether our experienced international keeper is going to hesitate at vital moments.  If this was a one-off, fair enough, however, the view from Celtic is that it is almost expected.

151263[/snapback]

Maybury mcarthy johanson sheehan IMO.

but i think CL sees the future as maybury gerrbrand johanson gilbert. when was the last time they played a league game together, never.

yes i think 4-1 makes it look like we were demolished in all aspects of the game, that wasnt so, so thats the reality we need to work on.

we`ll just have to trust CL and dougie on that one.

Archived