Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

If only English scores counted

Its nice being in the Prem if we can keep our heads above water but i agree its a pointless league with only 2 real contenders at the moment in man city and chelsea. Perhaps in time man u will come strong again but that will take some time.

Arsenal will do jack all with wenger in charge and liverpool just suck.

But there have been two real contenders many a time. When we were doing well it was either Man United or Arsenal winning the title. Then Chelsea and Man United, Man United and Man City, probably Man City and Chelsea for a while now.

Blackburn won it with a fair bit of cash compared to the rest and a great manager in charge. The only side similar to ourselves who got close to winning the league was Norwich in 1993. Newcastle, Liverpool and Leeds all got fairly close but throughout it's been Man United the dominant side with others winning it intermittently.

It isn't a lot different now in terms of the amount of sides winning the title.

Why can’t Greg Dyke just accept that England are shit?

What’s funny is the quote that : “English players accounted for less than a third of playing time last season - the 32.36% figure compares to 69% 20 years ago.”

20 years ago: 1994. So in 1994 the premier league was full of Englosh players (69%)… and we didn’t even qualify for the World Cup. We lost 2-0 to Norway, and spent half an hour losing 1-0 to San Marino in the qualifiers.

And that’s the golden era that Dyke wants to invoke??  Great.

There’s no correlation between England being poor and the amount of foreigners in the league.  It’s actually the other way around:  In 1974 and 1978 we didn’t even qualify for the World Cup. We also missed out on the 1984 European Championships and 1976 if I’m not mistaken.

So England have actually improved with the decline of English players in the Premier League. In fact, since Jurgen Klinsmann’s transfer to Tottenham in 1994 which sparked the foreign invasion, England haven’t missed out on a major tournament in 20 years. In the 20 years before that, we didn’t even qualify for (I think) FIVE tournaments.

Dyke: We’re just shit. Always have been. Don’t blame the foreigners, they’ve actually made us a bit less shit.

Why can’t Greg Dyke just accept that England are shit?

What’s funny is the quote that : “English players accounted for less than a third of playing time last season - the 32.36% figure compares to 69% 20 years ago.”

20 years ago: 1994. So in 1994 the premier league was full of Englosh players (69%)… and we didn’t even qualify for the World Cup. We lost 2-0 to Norway, and spent half an hour losing 1-0 to San Marino in the qualifiers.

And that’s the golden era that Dyke wants to invoke??  Great.

There’s no correlation between England being poor and the amount of foreigners in the league.  It’s actually the other way around:  In 1974 and 1978 we didn’t even qualify for the World Cup. We also missed out on the 1984 European Championships and 1976 if I’m not mistaken.

So England have actually improved with the decline of English players in the Premier League. In fact, since Jurgen Klinsmann’s transfer to Tottenham in 1994 which sparked the foreign invasion, England haven’t missed out on a major tournament in 20 years. In the 20 years before that, we didn’t even qualify for (I think) FIVE tournaments.

Dyke: We’re just shit. Always have been. Don’t blame the foreigners, they’ve actually made us a bit less shit.

brb getting my telescope

Archived