Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
queensguardfox

Pearson's change of tactic

I don't agree that Pearson has waved a magic wand in the last three games and we are suddenly tactically superior to our opponents. We have been playing like this since January/February and are only starting to reap the rewards now. For me, the difference was the situation we were in. Everyone knew how bleak it had become before West Ham and the players are giving that extra 2%-3%, combined with some luck finally going our way. That has been the difference for me. The West Ham game could have gone either way as could the West Brom game. The Swansea game, we were fantastic and thoroughly deserved the win. I have been saying this a lot this season, we are actually playing well. The fact of the matter is that we have been too naive and wasteful. The goals we have conceded are poor, and the chances we miss are golden. That has reversed the last few games. Confidence is another thing. When things are going well in any type of job, you look forward to coming in the next day. That must be how the players are feeling, and sometimes it is just that confidence that makes half a chance turn into a goal.

This, this and this again.....

He ain't changed an awful lot. The players have stepped up.

Huth has made a massive difference. King is glowing. And Vardy is back to 2013/2014 Vardy.

Confidence.

And fair play to Pearson. No, in fact, huge credit to Pearson. He's never given in. You can see it in the players.

We didn't attack anybody from the outset of a game between the Newcastle game and the QPR game. If we go down it will be the Newcastle/Swansea/West Brom/Southampton/Sunderland run of games which will have done for us. 3 of those opponents were completely there for the taking and we only had a go at Newcastle for about 25 minutes and failed to score in any of those games. By the time we thought about attacking anybody again the team was totally drained of confidence.

It also portrayed and then set in place a very deferential mentality which purveyed until the Spurs home game. It was stark contrast from the utter positivity which has exuded from the team at the start of the season and since Spurs away.

This ttfn

This, this and this again.....

He ain't changed an awful lot. The players have stepped up.

Huth has made a massive difference. King is glowing. And Vardy is back to 2013/2014 Vardy.

Confidence.

And fair play to Pearson. No, in fact, huge credit to Pearson. He's never given in. You can see it in the players.

They've 'stepped up' because now they are being allowed to play the type of game that suits many of them, an attacking style they'd played for the past 18 months with great success. They've been stifled by 7 months of negativity from Pearson pretty much since Newcastle away.

Over the last three games the shackles are off and they are playing with freedom. We are now STARTING games with the intent to win. As opposed to let's see what happens, and if we are behind we will give it a go. There are a lot of games where people say we have been positive, but the reality is ONLY WHEN WE HAVE GONE BEHIND. That's not been good enough, a change in intent from the outset, that is the difference.

They've 'stepped up' because now they are being allowed to play the type of game that suits many of them, an attacking style they'd played for the past 18 months with great success. They've been stifled by 7 months of negativity from Pearson pretty much since Newcastle away.

Over the last three games the shackles are off and they are playing with freedom. We are now STARTING games with the intent to win. As opposed to let's see what happens, and if we are behind we will give it a go. There are a lot of games where people say we have been positive, but the reality is ONLY WHEN WE HAVE GONE BEHIND. That's not been good enough, a change in intent from the outset, that is the difference.

Were you at the West Brom game?

If you are telling me we started that game with any intent to win, i don't agree. The shackles came off with a formation change and key substitutions in the second period. Similar with West Ham at home. First half, the Hammers could have been out of sight. Second half, again our players stepped up.

The only game of the three where we were out of the blocks right from the off was the last one. The one game in ages where we have played like we did last season, over a 90 minute period.

It's fine lines is football.

Disagree about West Ham col. They didn't turn up until the pen save gave them an adrenalin shock and they remembered they were pro footballers. we started that game aggressively but the opposition were passive. Could be different Saturday although no idea how nervous burnley will be

Were you at the West Brom game?

If you are telling me we started that game with any intent to win, i don't agree. The shackles came off with a formation change and key substitutions in the second period. Similar with West Ham at home. First half, the Hammers could have been out of sight. Second half, again our players stepped up.

The only game of the three where we were out of the blocks right from the off was the last one. The one game in ages where we have played like we did last season, over a 90 minute period.

It's fine lines is football.

Now you mention it agreed re: West Brom, but I think you'll find you are mistaken on the other - we battered West Ham early doors, the missed pen letting the them off the hook. With sensible penalty taker selection would have been 2-0 within 15 mins?

My overall point is, for clarity, we are a far better team on the front foot, as opposed to using the defensive containment mode seen for much of the season.

Agreed?

I can't blame Pearson too much to be fair. I understand that he has wanted to tighten things up at the back to avoid spankings which explains the 5 at the back. This obviously has taken away from our attacking intention but it would seem after experimenting he's finally found the right balance of defence and attack.

That said I think Robert Huth has been the key to all this as he is solid, composed and that let's you take risks with midfield pushing on.

I can't blame Pearson too much to be fair. I understand that he has wanted to tighten things up at the back to avoid spankings which explains the 5 at the back. This obviously has taken away from our attacking intention but it would seem after experimenting he's finally found the right balance of defence and attack.

That said I think Robert Huth has been the key to all this as he is solid, composed and that let's you take risks with midfield pushing on.

I think you’re right.

He’s only played 8 games but they have coincided exactly with our improvement. The only teams to have beaten us with him in the time have been Man City, Arsenal and Spurs away, and all narrowly.

All hail The Incredible Huth.

Football+-+Premier+League+1-1.jpg

Now you mention it agreed re: West Brom, but I think you'll find you are mistaken on the other - we battered West Ham early doors, the missed pen letting the them off the hook. With sensible penalty taker selection would have been 2-0 within 15 mins?

My overall point is, for clarity, we are a far better team on the front foot, as opposed to using the defensive containment mode seen for much of the season.

Agreed?

Agreed buddy.

However, after about only 15 mins in, West Ham took a foothold didn't they?

I recall Nolan missed a sitter of an header...bread and butter for him and we were lucky really to go in at half time not out of sight. Second half..completely different.

Same with Brom

I maintain, the only game we continued on the front foot was the last one. Started well and maintained it.

I think you’re right.

He’s only played 8 games but they have coincided exactly with our improvement. The only teams to have beaten us with him in the time have been Man City, Arsenal and Spurs away, and all narrowly.

All hail The Incredible Huth.

Football+-+Premier+League+1-1.jpg

For me...Huth, Vardy and King...

And Cambiasso has been the glue holding it together.

Find it hard to believe people think going all out attack every week is the only way we should be approaching games. If it was that easy every game in the Premier League would be an end to end goalfest.

When you can't defend successfully for 60 mins, attack is your best option.

It's also more fun for the fans.

For me...Huth, Vardy and King...

And Cambiasso has been the glue holding it together.

Yeah I agree with this. People always talk about having a good "spine" of the team. We now have a genuine spine of leaders, and on top of that they are performing.

Kaspar has always been a good leader, whether you doubt he is the best GK we have or not he is definitely very vocal and a good influence on the team. 

Huth is so experienced, leads by example and really reassures Morgan, our captain.

Same goes for Cambiasso, fantastic leader on the pitch and gives confidence and direction to whoever he has been paired with.

Then up top we've had Vardy and Nugent stepping up recently, their pressing and energy is fantastic and it rubs off onto others.

Suddenly with injuries returning, new signings fully bedded in and strikers posing a threat again we have a fantastic "spine" to the team, more than capable of playing at this level. Now lets hope it hasn't come together too late.

Pearson is changing tactics in the middle of games, and it seems to be yielding results.  This has been an area he has adjusted.  It has taken some time for him to see which tactics work better in which situations, and time to trust his new back line with the addition of Huth.  Also, he is letting Cambiasso play in the main distributor kind of role (think Modric at Real Madrid), which is improving their ability to make possession coming through the midfield count. Add to this the ability to get wingbacks forward and thereby generate problems down the channels, and the ability to counter which they have always had, and suddenly City is a multi-headed hydra that is difficult to defend.  They are still wasting chances - imagine if they didn't?  

I still say the Burnley home game was the turning point,we were leading 2-1 and in total command,then for some reason Pearson went negative,we ended up 2-2

From then on up until christmas we lost the plot,confidence shattered,numerous changes to team and formation plus rumours of unrest in the camp.

This team is playing better because we have gone back to what we are good at and that is attacking plus pressing teams

Archived