Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Player Ratings vs Sheff Wed

The web site is ready to take your ratings.

Go to www.player-ratings.co.uk to record your ratings for the game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Here are mine:

Douglas 7.5 - Made two outstanding saves, but one fumble nearly cost him

Maybury 6.5 - Steady, quietly impressive

Sheehan 5 - Looked very nervous on his home debut, good corners though

Johansson 6.5 - Hardly recognised him with his hair cut, did ok but I thought distribution was poor

Dublin 7 - Added assurance and leadership to the back line

Sylla 7 - Much better than recent performances, looked dangerous for longer periods than previously

Hughes 8.5 - Oh how we have missed this guy, his quality just brought the team to another level

Gudjonsson 6.5 - A bit quieter than in previous performances and too keen to pass back

Williams 6 - Really needs to get himself involved more and stop being so bloody laid back about everything

Hammond 8 - Caused mayhem in the defence all game and was a great foil for De Vries

De Vries 8.5 - Didn't do much at all wrong today, held up the ball well and took his goals well

Douglas 7- no doubt he's a great shot stopper. heart attack for other duties though

Maybury 6 - quiet today

Sheehan 6 - very nervous start, technically sound, great first touch

Johansson 5- looked slow and off the mark.

Dublin 8 - love the guy. you don't have a CV like his and not know how to paint the garden fence.

Sylla 8- he's got speed, he's got skill, he's got invention quality player.

Hughes 7 - good game. looks very natural.

Gudjonsson 7- I saw him win at least 3 headers today!

Williams 3 - thinks he's got an attention problem. Seems to be worrying what he's having for tea rather than playing the game. Frustrating cause he's got the potential to be the best player on the park.

Hammond 7 - good pace, good work rate, first time i've seen him and I like him

De Vries 9 - awesome, won everything in the air, great fisrt touch, oh and two goals to!

Subs

Hume- 10 - He's a little brick house, looks F'ing awesome, David who???

Kisonobo - not on long, built like a tank

Wilcox - Thanks for the 2 minutes!

Douglas 7 - Couple of good saves, and fumbles.

Maybury 6 - Better at right back, but that means no Stearman.

Sheehan 6 - Solid. Few wayward passes but nothing suggests Gilbert or Maybury are better than him in that position. Much better delivery from corners also.

Johansson 5 - Not great today, was done for pace early in second half, Graham should have scored.

Dublin 6 - Decent enough but he's obsessed with hoofing, no pace so he'll struggle in the next 2 away games.

Sylla 6 - Alot better than his last few performances but again, too much passing backwards.

Hughes 7 - Considering he always seems to be played out of position, he did well, not sure how we'll get the best out of on the left.

Gudjonsson 7 - Here there and everywhere again

Williams 6 - In and out the game as always, shouldn't be our corner taker.

Hammond 8 - Pace was vital.

De Vries 7 - First goal was gift wrapped, second was a good finish from an Elvis mis hit :D Ball was bouncing off him an awful lot in the first half, the ball is still being hoofed upto him for him to not win the headers. Overall he'll have to do alot more against better opposition to convince me.

Subs

Hume - 6 - Hardly got a touch but as i've said, we were far too defensive as early as the 20th minute today. Looked the part when we gave the ball to him.

Kisnorbo

Wilcox

Rab Douglas 8 A couple of really good saves and he looks and imposing figure. One mistake can be forgiven as he manged to gether the ball in straight away.

Alan Maybury 6 Solid but not much going forward. I much prefer him at right back and was glad to see him playing there today.

Alan Sheehan 5 He ihas a very good left foot and is composed in defence but he has a real problem when in possession. He never takes the ball forward and is extremely static. Potential but lots to work on.

Nils-Eric Johansson 8 Extremely solid, good in the air and as strong as the proverbial oxe.

Dion Dublin 6 Solid but not spectacular, I think he adds a lot to our side when defending set pieces both as a marker and as an organiser

Momo Sylla 7 Very good in the firsthalf, pacey and with awill to deliver quality. Faded a little in the second but still delivered two great balls.

Stephen Hughes 7 I think he is our bets player full of quality and energy. Picked some cross field passes that only he is capable of is the current team. When he is fully fit we will see a lot form him this year.

Joey Gudjonsson 6 A much improved performance on lastr years garbage. Wanted the ball and distribution was sound.

Gareth Williams 5 Drifted in and out of the game and is as frustrating as ever. I don't want to get ob his back but it annoys me seeing what agood player he COULD be.

Elvis Hammond 8 Offers a fantastic outlet with his pace, determinationa dn strength. Had his marker for breakfast all afternoon and looks like a real player when he gets his socring boots going.

Mark de Vries 8 BIG MDV produced a blinding finish for the second goal and always wanted the ball. I think he will do a good job for us this season probably bagging 15 goals.

Douglas - 8, one fumble but 4 great saves. Top display.

Maybury - 6, steady, still not at his best.

Sheehan - 6, Looked a bit nervous early on but quite solid.

Dublin - 7, marshalled the back line well.

Johansson - 6, not great, looked as though he was hit in the face a few times.

Sylla - 7, inconsistent, but more good than bad today.

Hughes - 7, very good on his return, kept the ball fairly well and a great outside of the foot pass to put Elvis through.

Gudjonsson - 7, good again.

Williams - 6, not a great deal of impact, good skill and touches at times but poor corners again.

Hammond - 7, made some useful runs, didn't get many chances but was alright.

de Vries - 8, some poor distribution but generally did well and scored twice, that'll do for me.

Subs:

Hume - 6, good flick and good run and effort, didn't see too much of the ball though.

Kisnorbo - 6, looked quite handy - well built and kept it simple.

Wilcox - no time

Douglas - 7 - Did everything that was asked of him. A top save in the second half.

Maybury - 7- Bit like Douglas in that he did everything that was asked of him. Great ball to release Sylla for the cross that led to the first goal.

Nils-Johansson - 7 - Dependable and solid. Composed as well, but will always be a support defender (and never the main leading and organising defender in any defensive partnership)

Dublin - 8 - I thought he was outstanding. Perhaps even the difference for our defence. He may not be the best defender at the club, and may be prone to hoofing it more than others, BUT he is by far the best leader and organiser of the back four at the club. McCarthy should take notes on how to lead a backline. Our defence looked far more solid than previously.

Sheehan - 6.5 - Thought he had a decent home debut. Did enough to suggest he could become a permanent fixture. Would like to add a well done to Levein. Many managers once they buy a player will play them regardless. Levein has not done this and it will be interesting to see how Gilbert responds to this.

Sylla - 7 - Tired in the second half but overall had an alright game. Could be more effective more often, but credit for the run and cross for DeVries first goal.

Gudjonsson - 7.5 - A different player to last season. Doesn't give the ball away so cheaply, constantly hassles and provides energy to the midfield.

Williams - 7 - I think people are harsh on him. He constantly keeps the ball ticking over, keeping possession, playing the simple balls rather than gifting possession to opposing teams. If he was French or Brazilian, we would probably talk about how well he keeps possession and be impressed by the laid-back style.

Hughes - 8 - Exactly what we have missed. The box to box link up man between midfield and the forwards. When he has gained match fitness, I look forward to him linking up more with De Vries. Great player.

Hammond - 7.5 - Lots of pace and energy, caused the Sheff Wed defence problems. Sadly, he should have scored twice. Hope he breaks the duck soon.

De Vries - 9 - Star man. Holds the ball up well, great strength and decent vision for a forward. Sheffield Wednesday struggled to deal with him and I was pleased for him that he got the 2 goals.

Subs

Hume - Not on long enough but did enough to suggest he will easily cope with this level and be a gem in the team

Kisnorbo - Again, not on long enough. Looks like he will have a go, but couldn't really tell what he'll be like.

Wilcox - Not on long enough

Overall - A professional performance against a team we should be beating, especially with Wednesday's injury problems. Well done lads.

Why is everyone marking Sheehan so low???

He did look nervous, yes, but he hardly put a foot wrong. He made some great tackles and defended the left side superbly. His corners may need a little work but at least they were put in with pace. He did play a lot of passes back or to the side and didn't get forward much but I think he was probably told to do this and to hold his position by CL.

I think Sheehan was deserving of 7 points, at the very least.

EDIT: I also think that Douglas deserves to marked higher - if it wasn't for three excellent saves we would have lost yesterday. Rab kept us in the game yesterday.

I thought Sheehan's distribution was poor, I'm not saying that's what he's like because I was very impressed with him down at Plymouth and I want to see him given a run in the team, he just looked too nervous and was making elementary mistakes, got caught in possession once or twice and gave the ball away too many times, 5 or 6 at least to my recollection.

Douglas - 7 - made one fantastic save in the second half and a couple of other good ones throughout the match as well. I'm still uneasy with him in goal as you do feel like he could make a mistake at any moment but yesterday the worst thing he did was drop the ball a couple of times and as we didn't get punished for that so I'd say it was a good performance. Got booked for time wasting but probably wouldn't have been if one of their players hadn't complained to the referee.

Maybury - 7 - I was going to give him a six but after seeing that he had a hand in both of the goals I bumped his score up a little. I'm not sure where the Maybury of last season has gone but I want him back, he was alright yesterday but lost the ball a bit, was turned and was pretty quiet. Not a patch on what he used to be.

Dublin - 7 - had a surprisingly good game at the back, his lack of pace was clear for all to see and he did make a few mistakes but I think his positive qualities are more to do with his leadership skills and he kept everyone calm rather than running about in a panic as usual when the other team are attacking.

Johansson - 7 - calm and cool as usual, needs the likes of Dublin beside him to tell him what to do though as he’s not a leader. Also he's a little bit slow. Nice new hair...

Sheehan - 7 - good home debut. He was a bit raw in places, certainly in the first half, and there were a few wayward passes but he improved and towards the end of the game he was playing very well. His corners were the most dangerous ones we've seen at the Walkers all season and it’s a shame he didn’t get more chances to show off his free-kick abilities. At times he seemed a bit nervous but that will improve with more appearances.

Sylla - 6 - had a better game than the last time I saw him, put a good cross across for the first goal and some other good balls into the box. The reason I've marked him down though is because of his usual problem of drifting out of games, he hardly did a thing in the second half and even drifted out of it towards the end of the first half. When he shows his quality he looks like a great, tricky player but he is so inconsistent I sometimes wonder whether he should be starting at all.

Williams - 6 - a quiet, inconsistent game again from Gareth. I remember him once in the first half putting together a good movement outside the box, and in the second half linking up quite well with Hume but otherwise I don’t think he really did anything. He seemed incapable of holding onto the ball sometimes and was shown up by Hughes on many occasions.

Gudjonsson - 7 - another good game from Joey, ran all over the pitch putting tackles in and hassling players. A bit quieter on the attacking side this time but probably because we had a lot of other players going forward for a change.

Hughes - 8 - My MOTM, we have missed him so much. He put together some great movements, some superb passes and didn't stop running until he was subbed off. He had a couple of chances on goal which he was unlucky with and he put some of our other players to shame with his constant movement. I look forward to him and Hume playing together as I think there will be some good attacking moves put together then. Providing Hughes is allowed to play in the middle...

de Vries - 7 - with two goals I feel like maybe I should rate him a bit higher but apart from the first 15 minutes I thought it was a fairly average performance. His heading ability is improving game upon game but I thought his first touch was fairly poor for most of the game and he kept losing the ball beneath his feet.

Hammond - 7 - full of running but when is he going to get some luck? His pace was vital in dragging their defence around but every time he got a chance he would either grab at it and send the ball into the stands or miss the ball completely. It’s hard to judge whether that is simply just a lack of confidence in front of goal or will become a pattern with him, so I’m still reserving my final judgement until he scores... if he ever does!

Subs:

Hume - 7 - showed potential, he had a lot of pace and seemed eager to impress, was a bit selfish also (could have passed for Wilcox to score but decided to try the harder shot himself) but I suppose that goes with being a striker. Showed his inexperience a little I thought when he shot for the near post where the 'keeper was rather than the far post but time will change that.

Kisnorbo - not on long enough to rate, didn't do anything.

Wilcox - not on long enough to rate, didn't do anything

Douglas 8 - Made 3 absolute rip snorting saves and his concentration levels are extremely high. Didn't have much else to do but looks alot more confident when claiming crosses and marshalling the back four. He certainly deserves his first team place. That save near the end was WORLD CLASS.

Maybury 7 - Alot better performance and kept things ticking over down the right hand side. I think it was Maybury who put the ball through to Sylla to cross for MDV's first goal. That was a class ball and deserves credit, good vision.

Dublin 7 - Solid. Lacks pace and alongside Nils means we have to be abit careful but he reads the game well and didn't give Sheff Wed a sniff.

Nils 6 - He was alright, but he made a horrific mistake at the start of the second half and we nearly got punished for it. Still looks the real deal though and needs a pacey centre half alongside him.

Sheehan 7 - I thought he looked more than adequate all game. His distribution was rough at times but having said that he did pass it about well at times and never really looked lost out there. He isn't scared of getting stuck in either and i'd be happy to see him at left back all season.

Sylla 7 - Alot, lot better. He looked hungry for the ball and his crossing is slowly getting better. His height is an advantage when balls are played up to him and his pace scares the **** out of defenders. Great cross for De Vries's goal. Keep it up

Williams 6.5 - I thought he got stuck in and won the ball back whenever he lost it. His corners are wank, but i'm pleased to see him developing his defensive side to his game as we all know how good he is when we are passing it about well.

Gudjonsson 8 - Joey was a rock at times and rarely ever gives the ball away this season. He even won a few aerial battles and i'm thoroughly impressed with him. His shooting is horrendous at times though.

Hughes 9* - Welcome back Shuggie. He was all over the park and his passing was sublime. I know he left Sheehan exposed at times but he made up for it with ruthless passing. Let's hope he can stay fit and do Cardiff over tomorrow.

de Vries 8 - 2 chances, 2 goals = lethal. Haha what a man, seriously though he looks alot more positive this season. He is winning more headers aswell, looked good up with Elvis but it was abit direct at times. Let's hope he can keep scoring, 15 goals from him this season would be a massive help.

Elvis 7 - I've never seen pace like his since Joachim. Once things start falling for him in front of goal I think we'll have a hot shot on our hands. Hewas causing them all sorts of problems, which let de Vries in for his second goal. It's only just begun.

Subs:

Kisnorbo 7 - Looked pretty good on the ball, kept it simple and has alot of energy.

Hume 7 - Pulled off a delightful back-hell that let Williams in and the return ball was never off-side. He also went close with a shot and I thought it had gone in from where I was sitting. He's going to be a real asset.

Wilcox 6 - Too good for football.

Archived