Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dunc

The futures bright....

I don't usually post on this leicester board but i'll make an exception with over reaction all over the 2/3 boards I look at.

I've avoided posting in response to the usual over reaction to win/defeat that happens on this forum each week at the moment but thought I'd make a point now the dust has settled somewhat.

I know its not great at the moment, lets make no bones about it but I actually like what CL is doing with the club at all levels. He appears to be happy with what he knows (good and bad) about the 1st team squad and doesn't see the point in them playing for the reserves unless they are returning from injury or haven't played for the first team for a few weeks.

Instead he is bringing a very young team through some tough games against strong reserve teams with what appears to be a plan to fast track the players that stand up for the ressies into the 1st team squad over the season. (Sheehan, Stearman, Weslowski etc)

What I think some people haven't picked up is that our squad has a very young average age and CL seems to be building for the future. This isn't going to happen over the next 3-4 months, but over the next 6-12 and into the next few years. Look at our Academy team now, most have a load of reserve team experience and the results against their own age group now are extremely promising.

The people that post "play off contenders" on a saturday and then "relegation fodder" on a tuesday really need to see this and back CL cause its the first time in 20 years that I can think of 3-4 regulars of the 1st team squad being through the academy with another 3-4 coming through and with an emphasis on youth throughout the club. (Chambers, Dodds, Muggleton, Magunda all highly promising).

If CL goes because the 'fickle boneheads' aren't happy we are probably around 15-12th for the next few months then a new manager will come in and break this foundation that is being created.

Before people say this is like wanting to stick with MA last season, its nothing like MA because there was no foundations put into place by him, instead it was a squad full of players aged 30+ with no apparent plan in place for the future, whether we got promoted or not.

I think the majority of City fans are now coming to the realisation Leicester City FC are (as far as history goes) a decent 1st Division team or a poor Premiership team on average. We punched above our weight because of a one off who was our manager (much like Forest) but lets not do what they did after he'd gone, lets stick with a manager who appears to be building for the future, get behind a young team who are going to improve and stop over reacting to every result that happens.

In my opinion (and I did say this at the start of the season) - expect a finish between 8-12th this year with a push onto better things next year (i'd expect top 6).

People who are questioning the budget for next year because of the parachute payments ending, I would find it hard to imagine that players are being signed on 3 yr deals with a budget only allowing to pay them for 12 months.

As far as I can see, we have a new team (again) but it is one built for the future and one that will only improve with time and a few further additions over the next 12 months. We will have a number of local lads brought into the squad as well who will have had a season of regular and competitive reserve team football and given time next season could be a very successful one.

UP THE CITY!

A rare bit of analysis and insight there.

At the moment there is a lot of over reaction both ways. The answer is not of course to get rid of Levein... and neither is everything rosy and we just need time. The answer is that everything will improve with time but that we ALSO need good results in the meantime and that Levein seems to be making a lot of strange decisions to the detriment of our short term fortunes.

I'm a supporter of the 'Levein Revolution' as it were.. but he needs to stop talking about the future and bad luck and concentrate on getting us results in the present. The thing is, the present has a bearing on the future... but also, being distracted too much by the future, can have a negative affect on the present.

There - I've said my piece. I'll let certain people get back to over reacting one way or another now! :P

I don't usually post on this leicester board but i'll make an exception with over reaction all over the 2/3 boards I look at.

I've avoided posting in response to the usual over reaction to win/defeat that happens on this forum each week at the moment but thought I'd make a point now the dust has settled somewhat.

I know its not great at the moment, lets make no bones about it but I actually like what CL is doing with the club at all levels. He appears to be happy with what he knows (good and bad) about the 1st team squad and doesn't see the point in them playing for the reserves unless they are returning from injury or haven't played for the first team for a few weeks.

Instead he is bringing a very young team through some tough games against strong reserve teams with what appears to be a plan to fast track the players that stand up for the ressies into the 1st team squad over the season. (Sheehan, Stearman, Weslowski etc)

What I think some people haven't picked up is that our squad has a very young average age and CL seems to be building for the future. This isn't going to happen over the next 3-4 months, but over the next 6-12 and into the next few years. Look at our Academy team now, most have a load of reserve team experience and the results against their own age group now are extremely promising.

The people that post "play off contenders" on a saturday and then "relegation fodder" on a tuesday really need to see this and back CL cause its the first time in 20 years that I can think of 3-4 regulars of the 1st team squad being through the academy with another 3-4 coming through and with an emphasis on youth throughout the club. (Chambers, Dodds, Muggleton, Magunda all highly promising).

If CL goes because the 'fickle boneheads' aren't happy we are probably around 15-12th for the next few months then a new manager will come in and break this foundation that is being created.

Before people say this is like wanting to stick with MA last season, its nothing like MA because there was no foundations put into place by him, instead it was a squad full of players aged 30+ with no apparent plan in place for the future, whether we got promoted or not.

I think the majority of City fans are now coming to the realisation Leicester City FC are (as far as history goes) a decent 1st Division team or a poor Premiership team on average. We punched above our weight because of a one off who was our manager (much like Forest) but lets not do what they did after he'd gone, lets stick with a manager who appears to be building for the future, get behind a young team who are going to improve and stop over reacting to every result that happens.

In my opinion (and I did say this at the start of the season) - expect a finish between 8-12th this year with a push onto better things next year (i'd expect top 6).

People who are questioning the budget for next year because of the parachute payments ending, I would find it hard to imagine that players are being signed on 3 yr deals with a budget only allowing to pay them for 12 months.

As far as I can see, we have a new team (again) but it is one built for the future and one that will only improve with time and a few further additions over the next 12 months. We will have a number of local lads brought into the squad as well who will have had a season of regular and competitive reserve team football and given time next season could be a very successful one.

UP THE CITY!

Sound common sense (and some of it mirroring what I've just written myself at the same time). I might hope for more but I'd settle for 8th-12th this season if we play decent attacking football with plenty of ground-based passing and a lot less of the aimless hoofing (which only creeps into matches and is not what's being taught on the training ground.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we keep bringing our young players through.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we show the urgency that suggests we want to aim higher.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we try to give honest 90 minute performances and if, when we score, we commit oursleves to trying to score again and again.

You may be too young to know what I'm talking about but there are a few on this forum who remember when Leicester City were far better than a top second-tier or bottom top-tier side.

We remember when Leicester City was, for a lengthy period of time a top First Division side, a team to be feared by the very best in the land, a team which almost won the title and reached FA Cup finals, a team which was an advertisement for everything that was good about football.

Those people would like such days to return. But you are right. They won't return overnight. They would never return under the likes of Adams or Bassett. But they might return if Levein builds a young side that develops such a unity of spirit that they can take on the world, so to speak.

Like the Ipswich team of Beattie and Mariner, like the Forest team of Cloughie. It can be done but it takes patience, it takes unfailing belief and it takes dedication - from all involved.

This is an exciting time for Leicester. The people who are trying to make our dreams come true need our unreserved support - and especially the manager (for all his inevitable mistakes and especially the youn g players who will suffer some calamities while emerging into the limelight,

But emerge they will and so will City.

hier hier! an excellent post Thracian...

Its difficult not to be frustrated at the inconsistency by recent matches and the standards we've seen, but at the same time i'm sure Levein is noticing these issues and will be working hard to eliminate problems, even if they were wrong tactical decisions made by himself.

It is difficult, believe me I feel rotten every time we let a goal in, or start pumping long balls forward, or when players go into tackles half heartedly - but improvemnts will take time and I'm confident Levein and the playing staff will be noticing the consequences and work out ways to improve as a team.

People quickly forget we have a brand new team, the longest serving player for us now is Williams? Training ground tactics are all well and good but it doesnt prepare players for real matches in the division - there is bound to be some mistakes being made for all. OK we want to see results now, but it doesnt always work that way and we must be patient to allow time for this.

Lets give them a chance, roar them on, help them gel, cheer every good move! Lets give our manager some support he can be proud of. I'm sure all the staff are feeling down at whats happening at the moment but shouting and jeering wont do anything but will simply knock their confidence which IMO is the last thing we need...

Sound common sense (and some of it mirroring what I've just written myself at the same time). I might hope for more but I'd settle for 8th-12th this season if we play decent attacking football with plenty of ground-based passing and a lot less of the aimless hoofing (which only creeps into matches and is not what's being taught on the training ground.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we keep bringing our young players through.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we show the urgency that suggests we want to aim higher.

I'd settle for 8th-12th if we try to give honest 90 minute performances and if, when we score, we commit oursleves to trying to score again and again.

You may be too young to know what I'm talking about but there are a few on this forum who remember when Leicester City were far better than a top second-tier or bottom top-tier side.

We remember when Leicester City was, for a lengthy period of time a top First Division side, a team to be feared by the very best in the land, a team which almost won the title and reached FA Cup finals, a team which was an advertisement for everything that was good about football.

Those people would like such days to return. But you are right. They won't return overnight. They would never return under the likes of Adams or Bassett. But they might return if Levein builds a young side that develops such a unity of spirit that they can take on the world, so to speak.

Like the Ipswich team of Beattie and Mariner, like the Forest team of Cloughie. It can be done but it takes patience, it takes unfailing belief and it takes dedication - from all involved.

This is an exciting time for Leicester. The people who are trying to make our dreams come true need our unreserved support - and especially the manager (for all his inevitable mistakes and especially the youn g players who will suffer some calamities while emerging into the limelight,

But emerge they will and so will City.

Sent a chill down my spine that did. :P

Thracian for PM!

Just remember, we need to perform well now as well. I certainly don't want to see many more games like Cardiff or Luton, but if we do, then we will know that Levein may not be the man we are looking for. Don't get me wrong, he has done brilliantly in the transfer market, and has done wonders for the academy, but he also needs to improve drastically in the way he coaches his players, and also the way he conducts himself and the team tactically.

Good points from start to end. The question is do our fans have the patience to help realise Levein's goals? I guess it's up to the more level headed fans to stand by the manager and team and attempt to prevent booing and calls for Levein's head if things don't go well at first.

Good points from start to end. The question is do our fans have the patience to help realise Levein's goals? I guess it's up to the more level headed fans to stand by the manager and team and attempt to prevent booing and calls for Levein's head if things don't go well at first.

Exactly. I don't think the majority of them do I'm afraid.

I agree with pretty much all that 's been said in this thread. I've maintained that i'll give Levein until Christmas at least, and as long as we're not in relegation trouble and the football is good, then i'd be happy for him to remain.

One problem i have though is that the football in recent games has not been good, granted i wasn't at Cardiff but Matt Jones during commentary and those who travelled said it was poor and direct. We had a couple of decent passing moves against Wednesday but generally it was being played high to de Vries, which wasn't inspiring.

Good, or trying to play good, football but inconsistent results i'll accept, but bad football and results and i can't say i'd be pleased, that's essentially what made it clearer for fans to want Micky out.

Just remember, we need to perform well now as well. I certainly don't want to see many more games like Cardiff or Luton, but if we do, then we will know that Levein may not be the man we are looking for. Don't get me wrong, he has done brilliantly in the transfer market, and has done wonders for the academy, but he also needs to improve drastically in the way he coaches his players, and also the way he conducts himself and the team tactically.

Levein's the manager not the coach. He will know what he wants of his players and the tactics he wishes to employ. He will also, presumably have documented any areas for development in his players but he will then hand the job over to the coaches who will actually plan the necessary work...while he makes checks on progress.

If he's lucky the coaches will be so good they'll be able to understand where players are strong/weak and where the teams are being successful or otherwise.

But, only Levein will really know whether the coaches he's got are good enough, analytical enough, inspiring enough or if the area needs strengthening.

I've certainly noticed technical shortcomings on the field (corners/free-kicks/lack of running off the ball/ iffy shooting technique) but it does seem some work has been done to improve these things and it is too early to be judgemental about the outcome as yet. Indeed there may be so much work to do that it can't all be done at once.

But the club certainly seems to be bringing plenty of young players successfully through the ranks which speaks volumes it itself.

The question is: are the coaches we've got good enough to keep maintaining their improvement at Championship level and beyond?. In basic ways I've been impressed but there may be need for some fine tuning.

Not to me it doesn't.

Devising and conducting coaching sessions is time consuming and concentrated work.

If the manager conducts the sessions various things happen:-

a) Players all work like mad trying to impress.

b) The manager becomes too familiar with his players and therefore his words lose impact.

c) He is not able to stand back and observe from a distance (and occasionally unseen).

d) He has less time to deal with other many other pressing matters like studying videos of the next opposition, considering scouting reports, looking at information on potential transfer targets, videos of his own players in action etc etc.

No, at the training ground, as at reserve/academy matches the manager needs to keep a more distant profile so he can observe, so he can watch which players put the effort in regardless of whether he is around or not, observe what individuals do in various situations, note the success or otherwise of various coaching stimuli, notice which players naturally work well together, see how well his coaches perform etc.

He needs to constantly look at the broad picture while his assistants attend to the details.

Cloughie, legend has it, would disappear for days on end and other managers were known to slip into their training ground office early so no-one knew they were there observing.

But when Clough walked into that dressing room on match days everyone certainly knew he was around and there had been no opportunity for familiarity to breed contempt. And so he maintained a presence, a mystique, a smouldering threat. He remained a man to be feared a man to be listened to or else.

Indeed Clough's attention to psychological impact is summed up in the anecdote which explained... "I was always prepared to listen to other people's point of view and when they'd finished talking we'd do it my way."

agree with that totally. cloughie kept his distance and this certainly added to his influence on his team. O Neill was of the same ilk. He would rarely be involved in day to day training, he wasnt even that bothered what the players did in their spare time/nights out etc. As long as when matchday came around they performed for him.

I think that was one of MA's downfalls. He was TOO involved in everything and so lost the respect, and hold over the squad

IMO Newhall should of got the job instead of Levein. I agree that the team shows alot of Promise. But he needs a top 10 finish. If we lose 3 or 4 out of the next 7 or 8 games fans will be wanting him out and they will prolly get their wish before Christmas.

Maybe but as I understand it Newell didn't want the job, perhaps he knew more about the shit we were in the CL did.

Mike Newell's done well but will hit his bad patch - and probably sooner rather than later. Luton certainly didn't sound like world beaters from what I heard.

Levein will take us much further in my view and it's time the fans got on the train and enjoyed the ride.

I cannot really compare Levein to other management styles.

But I don't think he has failed us yet in the realms of spotting potential deals, analysing info (Mike Stowell mentioned they have been doing this over the last few days, for instance) or reports.

Although he does get his hands "dirty" a lot in the training, he's been criticised here for taking a day off occasionally, I seem to remember?

Also, he does also observe the players from afar...

Archived