Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deathside

John Peel Day

Loving the Radio 1 Peel Day programs

Going through a lot of mixed emotions

Steve Lamacq just played an Extreme Noise Terror track and although it was one from after I left the band it still makes me feel very proud to have been associated with Peel - And proud is not really something I normally do

I'm reading a book on John Peel at the moment, by Mick Wall.

Good read.

I started reading that last xmas - but as I don't really do reading I haven't managed to complete it - Even though it's such a great subject to read about

the datsuns - in love, the video was of teenagers throughout the last 4 decades turning on a radio and listning to John peel. well worth keeping an eye out for.

my mistake it was the Buzzcocks - ever fallen in love

JOHN PEEL TRIBUTE VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: 11.05pm

World exclusive John Peel Day premiere of the promo video for Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)? The track has been recorded in tribute to John Peel by some of the artists he championed and admired the most, including Sir Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, David Gilmour and The Buzzcocks. All proceeds from the record will be donated Amnesty International which was one of John's favourite charities.

• 1 month later...

JOHN PEEL IS A FVCKIN' HERO

He was never really on American radio but his reputation says it all.

so many good bands got the airplay the deserved because of him. Not only that, but how many incredible "live at the BBC" recordings were made possibly by John Peel?

My favorite song of all time is the "Mission Bells" by the Aislers Set recorded live with Mr. Peel. Actually, the other songs they recorded live on his show ("The Walk" and "Walked in Line," a Joy Division cover) were ridiculously crazily awesome.

"Teenage dreams, so hard to beat..."

• 9 months later...

39_leavander.jpg

Allways used to listen to Steve Lamacq's evening session on R1 about 6 or 7 years ago,got me into a load of good bands!Then John Peel followed him,can't say that every record he played was to my taste,but his enthusiasam(sic) and engaging way with his audiance got me hooked!Even though i had to be up at 6 the next day.A true legend! :D

That was the point of Peel - he played music that challenged you, he played music that introduced you to new pleasures. Thanks to him I grew to love blues, dub, ska, rap, electro and even a tolerance of Liverpool FC :P along with my staple diet of punk.

There will never be another Peel ~ a unique life force that made all of us that listened to him feel as though we knew him (and that includes everyone who tuned into the God-awful "Home truth's".

Archived