Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

The TV buyer's guide

I've had my 60'' Sharp LCD (with LED backlight) for close to six years now, it was a great deal at the time (including home delivery).

Fantastic TV also in terms of eco-friendliness (doesn't require that much energy) and durability.

Still, with all the technical progress made in the past few years, I'm now pondering a move to a new model and have been browsing the web a bit.

What would you recommend? Sharp apparently don't make TVs anymore or at least don't sell them over here any longer and the 60'' models seem to be gone out of fashion, having made way for either the 55'' or 65'' types.

Is OLED worth it? I heard the technology is prone to burn-ins on the screen. Any positives on Samsung's QLED stunt? Is it any good or merely a marketing ploy?

I'm looking at a TV that I'd use for gaming and Netflix mostly, so responsiveness is a factor.

Edited by MC Prussian

I will be disappointed on the day that my Panasonic plasma gives up.

I look at TVs in Curry's and don't see anything better than it unless you're willing to part with upwards of £2000.  Considering it only cost me £750 with a bluray player thrown in 6 years ago, I'd rather not let it go just yet.  Blacks are far superior on it compared with what's available at its price now, you really need to go top end to notice an improvement.

That being said, it all depends on your budget.  What are you willing to spend?  You can't beat LG/Panasonic for picture quality on top end TVs imo.  Or do you want a Samsung with all the smart apps thrown in?

I'd go for picture quality over smart apps every time but make sure you look for a TV that does SD and standard HD well since that's what the majority of sources broadcast in.  I'd like Netflix in 4K but I'm not willing to shell out on a TV for it just yet and don't fall for 4K demos on panels which will look nothing like when you sit down and watch the TV at 9pm on an evening.

Start here:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-tx-50ex750b-50-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10159737-pdt.html

Now's the time to buy, just before this years models come in.  You can guarantee a decent price.  Richer Sounds might have a few deals on.  Try there.

Samsung, definitely. The screens are sharp as anything, they never let you down, the sound quality is better than equally priced rivals and ours boots up within a second of turning it on. Sharp used to be good value but you can't go wrong with a Samsung

Have made my mind up and gone for a Panasonic EX700 for now. Found a 2017 model for cheap.

Love the design, the options you get with the stand and it's also low on energy-consumption, picture quality's supposed to be top-notch.

I can live with the criticism aimed at the audio output - at some stage, I can always add Panasonic speakers or a soundbar later on.

OLED's a bit risky still for my liking due to the prevalent picture burn-in issue.

Edited by MC Prussian

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:54, MC Prussian said:

Have made my mind up and gone for a Panasonic EX700 for now. Found a 2017 model for cheap.

Love the design, the options you get with the stand and it's also low on energy-consumption, picture quality's supposed to be top-notch.

I can live with the criticism aimed at the audio output - at some stage, I can always add Panasonic speakers or a soundbar later on.

OLED's a bit risky still for my liking due to the prevalent picture burn-in issue.

Great choice :thumbup:

For everyday TV viewing and gaming, this screen will be fine. 

As for the sound, all TVs require some sort of additional sound setup.  I have a Panasonic soundbar although anything should be ok passed through via HDMI.  Just do the usual checks for compatability.  Avforums is the place to go.

As for OLED, it's just about caught up with plasmas, although you have to pay top whack to get anything as good.