Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Train Disruptions from Leicester this w/e

There are several projects in the East Midlands that are being worked on over the two days

By

Tom MackSenior Reporter

13:15, 23 APR 2018

NEWS

There will be no trains between Leicester and Luton this weekend as various works take place up and down the Midland Main Line.

Buses will replace all services on Saturday and Sunday and passengers are being urged to check how it will affect their journeys before they travel.

Network Rail will be using the weekend to work on several improvement projects between Leicesterand Luton, including the straightening of the line at Market Harborough, which will allow trains from Leicester to London to travel at higher speeds through the town.

Other projects being worked on over the weekend will include the creation of a new track between Bedford and Kettering, the strengthening of several bridges and the demolition of three bridges at Bedford, Corby and Wellingborough.

As well as all East Midlands Trains services between Luton and Leicester, the works will affect the Thameslink services between London and Bedford, which will be replaced by buses.

All trains on Saturday and Sunday between Leicester and Luton will be replaced by buses

Rob McIntosh, route managing director at Network Rail, said: “Over the weekend Network Rail engineers will be doing a huge amount of work to the railway in the East Midlands.

“The work will see track improvements and three bridge demolitions as part of the Midland Main Line Upgrade, which will ensure we can continue to meet the needs of the communities and economies that our railway serves.

“Due to the nature of the work, there are significant changes to train services and passengers are advised to check before they travel via National Rail Enquiries and allow additional time for their journeys.

"We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience this causes and thank rail travellers for their patience.”

Adam Piddington, customer experience director for East Midlands Trains, said: "This investment will provide better journeys in the near future but there is some short term disruption while the work is carried out.

“We will have staff on hand to help customers but I would also ask everyone to check the temporary timetable before they travel and, if possible, leave a little extra time for their journey."

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They're upgrading the midland mainline at long last. Has been this situation for months now and will continue. Thankfully.

Yes but we ain't getting electric .

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yes but we ain't getting electric .

I've been on about it for ages! It should be, as difficult and as long as it is. I know they're currently working around Kettering at the minute and electrification there is scheduled for 2020, though I dunno if it's right through to St Pancreas or even as far as Luton.

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rugby is often the starting point for a lot of city fans given the cheaper prices. 

This. My dad and brother are going on Saturday and they always go from Rugby - although these problems on the Midland Main Line mean that the prices have been jacked up a bit due to higher demand. Imagine there'll be a fair few Leicester fans going that way.

13 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I've been on about it for ages! It should be, as difficult and as long as it is. I know they're currently working around Kettering at the minute and electrification there is scheduled for 2020, though I dunno if it's right through to St Pancreas or even as far as Luton.

London to Kettering will be electrically run from there it will be diesel all driven by Bi-mode units which currently don't exist.