Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Christmas Music

Most people profess to hate Christmas music.  (Nor do I enjoy having cheese forced into my ears whenever I am within range of a shop or ristorante.)  But I love some of it.  And I think the English do some of the best.

Not that I have a clue what holiday ditties fill the UK air(waves).  I’m talking about Anglican choirs, which taught me, as an adult, to love Christmas music again. 

Years ago I bought a cut-out Xmas LP by some Cambridge or Oxford College Choir.  I’d never heard anything like such beautiful sonorities.  The standard of your choral music is so high.  The sound is ethereal, and it flips a “Christmas” switch in my brain.  Agnostic hypocrite though I be.

Now I own ten or a dozen Xmas albums by English choirs.  Christmas Night by the Cambridge Singers is my favorite.  Too beautiful for this earth -- which I guess is the point.

In the States, we have very decent (if overplayed) holiday perennials by artists like Brenda Lee, Mariah Carey, Jose Feliciano and Sarah McLaughlin.  But my go-to Christmas ALBUM from the rock and roll generations is Emmylou Harris’ Light of the Stable.  I worship at Emmylou’s altar all year, but when December arrives, I go hillbilly for this record.  The title track has its own reverent sonic beauty, Neil Young warbling away on the chorus.  Too, too good.

Any other Christmas music lovers willing to come out of the closet?

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Having worked in retail for the first 15 years of my working life, I can safely say I hate all Xmas songs with a passion..

...except ONE

All right, so all you miserable @kers hate Xmas music.  I waded into that one with eyes wide open.

The Waitresses, though, God bless 'em.  They were from here (Akron, just down the road).  Patty Donahue was a real cutie, with attitude.  She died so young, though.  Probably gone 20 years or more ...  :unsure:   The rest of that lot are still picking up royalty checks for $62.31 every February for that song.  That buys a few sacks of Swenson's burgers in Akron.

• Haha 1

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:59, KingsX said:

Any other Christmas music lovers willing to come out of the closet?

Emmy-Lou Harris probably not best listened to on tinny laptop speakers. Makes it sound flat and soulless

Edited by Parafox